1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school football clobbering

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Nov 3, 2021.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep, but that's not rare at all. Everybody is just lathered in ignorance in those days, self included. It makes me laugh, some of the things that I once thought.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Sounds right. I didn't pass wordsmithage 101.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You were smart to walk away as there's no talking to those type parents.

I was coaching a goalie that was a year older than my son and they'd played on the same team for a few years. His dad came to me at practice one night and said his son was moving to Minnesota to billet with a family while he played Junior's, because that was his next step towards the NHL. I kind of chuckled under my breath and informed him of the odds involved in that and he became verbally violent towards me. I walked away. The kid did nothing further in his "career" and missed out on a normal high school experience.

On the flip side, we had a tournament in St. Louis and were hanging at the rink before the games. There was a guy skating with his kid (the only two on the ice) and somebody came up telling us it was Keith Tkachuk skating with his 10 year old son. You could tell that this kid was going somewhere even at his young age. The kid is now an NHL All Star and Co-Captain of the Calgary Flames. Guess it's all in the genes :D

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Mad Bum came along in baseball way after my illustrious H.S. career. The H.S. team that he played on was very good, even without him. But even then, we knew that he'd play after H.S. But.....I had no idea that I would have in my possession a signed Mad Bum World Series ball. He still seems as down to earth a guy as ever, but from the outside, it looks like peeps be spending his money like there's no tomorrow. Eh, he has plenty.

YamahaRick and rd400racer like this.
  5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

True. There's some of that. It's exciting and different to the uninformed who, I find, don't know what a "track day" is. So I call it lap practice.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not lyin... I just spent about 23 minutes trying to figure out how to pronounce that.

jrsamples likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Your wife will appreciate the efforts.

Articulate! Enunciate! :D

R Acree likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

MORE CAPITAL T!!!! MORE CAPITAL T!!!!!!!!!!

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

YamahaRick, R Acree and pickled egg like this.
  9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Now that's a good one. :crackup:

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

More no, more no, less yes!

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

"Dar dar dar, getting walloped is good for the girls, back in my day yada yada, participation trophies, should've been 3,000-2, real character builder, dar dar dar".

13. lopitt85

Losing coach sounds like a 13 year old girl IMHO. Maybe he should coach better. Maybe the players should practice more, even in their free time (oh the horror). But for the love of God, don't whine about the result.

What happened to a coaches taking the blame for not preparing their team well enough? The guys I grew up hooping with played ball in the morning before school, in gym class, after school at practice, in the evening at the local basketball courts, on the weekends at local courts, and even friday and saturday nights at what was called midnight basketball (from 9pm to 1am, a program to keep kids out of trouble). Guess what, we never got beat 92-4.

What happened to taking this ass whooping and using it to light a fire under your players to work harder and get better?

Gorilla George, cav115 and BigBird like this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Single mothers.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My kid's indoor team had an interesting experience last week. The team they were supposed to play canceled due to not enough players so the person in charge of the league lined up another team for them to play. Final 4 in the state with plenty of subs while my daughter's team had 1 sub.

Went better then is should have in the first half even if the score was very much in the other team's favor. Second half, the other team's A team left and their A- team played.

Great experience, forced my daughter's team to step way up and I'd take that game over the first one of the season where they won 20 something to 3. :)

Gorilla George and Paige like this.
  16. Oh FFS.

Where is the rule that says “Once a lead of __ is achieved, you must fall back into a zone defense”?

Rather than expecting the AD to “Step in and put a stop to it”, maybe the opposing coach should prepare his team better.

He is teaching his team nothing but how to be a sore loser, a cry baby, and that they should be entitled to others coming to their rescue when things aren’t going their way.

Fuck off and be a better coach.

cav115, Paige and BigBird like this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Speaking as an actual high school coach, if my team suffered an ass whipping of biblical proportions, you wouldn't be reading any quotes from me other than my resignation. We all lose, but a loss of that magnitude is 100% on the losing coach. His whining is pathetic.

Gorilla George, cav115 and BigBird like this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

He should get a trophy for it

cav115, BigBird and R Acree like this.
  19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Winning by that much and not pulling your starters is stupid. But not because you shouldn’t blow the other team out. As others have said, it’s character building. But leaving your starters in with enormous leads opens you up to unnecessary risk and fails to capitalize on an opportunity.

A. It’s just asking for a starter to suffer an unnecessary injury, especially against a team that likely lacks much real form or coordination. Seen this happen in basketball where clumsy girl on team getting beaten ends up causing starter on good team to roll an ankle.

B. You have a golden opportunity to get your 2nd string playing experience. As much as I don’t like Saban, he is very good at this and it’s one of the reasons his teams continue to be good every year. Last years 2nd string, now turned starters, already have more experience starting the season than most other teams.

20. lopitt85

Maybe I missed it, but did they keep the starters in?