1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey who turned off the Lights??

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Team Atomic, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But Hydro requires the building of dams, and thus the disturbance of the natural eco system for some @sshole fish. We can't have the spotted sewer trout disturbed, after all they only breed it EVERY GAWD DAMN STREAM IN AMERICA!!!!

What about Solar? After all a solar panel the size of a football field could supply us with enough electricity to power your toaster.

In the end I don't care. Just so when I fire up my stereo system, there is enough power to share my music with the old lady up the street. Nuclear, an hemp burning plant in NE Canada or a hydro plant in SE VA, what do I care?

2. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm......toast. :)

3. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Hey, I think coal is the best choice too, but the tree huggers don't want greenhouse gases. That rules out coal. Nukes are the only answer to the questions they've laid out, but they've also made it financially impossible to build a nuke plant in the USA. And you can thank Bubba Clinton for that one, with his low-sulfur coal regulations. There are two large sources of this type of coal in the world. One in the USA, right in the middle of the Grand Escalante Staircase National Park that Clinton created. The other is in the far east and under the control of the Lippo Group; that same group linked with all the illegal campaign donations to the Clinton reelection campaign. It's nice to see an American President put his reelection goals in front of the nation's energy needs and national security.

Recind those environmental regs and we've got enough coal for 2,000 years by today's estimates. Works for me.

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What's panacea? Don't feel like looking it up. :D

Another thing, I'm going to go out on a limb here and pretty much guarantee you that I know more about nuclear power than you and 99.9%(Team Atomic knows about accellerators which is a whole other beast :D ) of the members on this board. It is far cleaner for the environment than fossil fuel plants. We are pretty much tapped out on large scale hydroelectric. Wind power and solar are neither feasible on large scale at this time and likely never since they both involve the use of storage cells that are difficult at best to deal with.

And for you last comment. Lighten up Francis. :p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Right, we can't re-enter the nuclear industry like it was done in the past because of the initial costs. The government needs to take one lesson from the French and develop one plant design and build all plants to that specification. This will minimize the building costs and the long term maintenance costs. Currently the annual outages at nuclear plants are rediculously expensive because we reinvent the wheel every time we do one because every plant is built differently. If all are built the same and with interchangeable parts then the maint. cost will be cut to fractions of what they currently are and you of course know what that will do to the price/kwh.

My point was that in budgeting nuclear plants you make damn sure the grids are upgraded too. Which is necessary since a single nuke plants capacity is so great.

As I stated in the other post, we are tapped out on major hydroelectric power which is a shame since it is the best and cleanest, just destroys the most land(but at least it is a lake that forms ;) )

Good info by the way. We definitely will have to change the way we did business 20 years ago.

Just a note: I don't work with TVA... they are all messed up. :p

6. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

OK. You know everything about it. I'm just a tree hugging pussy dummy who uses big words and takes things too seriously. :rolleyes:

I don't get the Francis part. :confused:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For not knowing the Francis reference you are sentenced to renting and watching Stripes.

Can't we just dry-dock a couple of aircraft carriers and hook power lines up to them?

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Believe it or not that has actually been done before but without the drydock. I do not remember where or when it was done.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Now where did I say any of that... well you were being a little too serious I think. ;)

I didn't say I know everything about nuclear power just probably more than 99.9% of the members here. I have been operating, teaching operations, cleaning up, shipping, etc. in the nuclear industry for the last 18 years.

The tree hugging pussy comment was a generalization so if the shoe fits wear it and if it doesn't then lighten up Francis(check Mongo's post on the Francis comment :p ).

Another cliche comes to mind... If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. :D

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dad, rent "Stripes". In that movie is the secret of Francis. :)

11. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

I like the idea... cookie - cut nuclear plant design... kind of like a nuclear version of McDonalds.....except replace the arches with hyperbolic shaped cooling towers.... I learned something new today....:D

coal fired plants can be very high tech too....lets just say they would be alot more effiecent than the 100 year designs we have today. fossil fuel emissions would be alot less since the exhaust gases can be reheated, like a catlytic converter and passed thru a scrubber.

TVA made some ass kickin' dams though.

People don't like to save energy, they only like to save money.

12. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

13. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Whatever. :rolleyes:

14. Dave,

Hecubus is much more dark, nebulous, melancholy, and goth than your current avatar.

Anyway, I think you are more likely to attract rump-humpers than you are chicks with that image. That went out in the mid 80s.

You need to be shaved head, goateed, tatooed, and ride a POS Harley to score in Y2K.

:eek:

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ah no. Not going to shave my head, too many bump and lumps on it from wacking my bean on the ground. :D
    Goatee: Can't grow facial hair. It took me 4 months to grow a soul patch and all in all it looked pretty ass. I'd kill for Bostrom side burns. :D
    Tatoos: working on that. :D
    Harley: If they put the liquid cooled motor into a Buell frame then maybe. Give it monster brakes, a usable/ adjustable rear/ front suspension and an agressive seating postion..... Hey, I just about described a Ducati Monster. :D

:D

The guy in my Avatar is Jack from "The Nightmate before Christmas". A pretty cool animated movie by the dude who did Edward Scissorhands. :)

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Cookie cutter is a common term for it. ;)

Damn Atomic we are agreeing again. :p Upgrades on current setups is another good idea.

Also save energy. Build more efficient vehicles, etc.

17. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

All right, now you went and did it. That movie was the biggest waste of cellulose that I've ever had the displeasure of forking out $8 to see. In fact, that's the only movie I've ever got up and walked out of, it was so bad. :Poke: :D

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's 'cause your an unedjamakated PA slackjaw with the imagination power of a gay steel worker. Or maybe you need to see more movies... I've walked out on quite a few. :D ;) :Poke:

19. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Hey now, I'm sure a gay steel worker would have a hell of an imagination.

:D

20. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

If I'm not mistaken, mtk is an engineer...'nuff said. :D

Honestly, tho', Burton movies require a certain "attitude" (for lack of a better word). I'll give him an A for premise/concept/art but a C- for story execution, but Burton is like that. Knowhutimean?