1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey who turned off the Lights??

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Team Atomic, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Mr. Smither's left Homer playing in the Power plant unsupervised....

Max??

I find it ironic the media is speculating that it may be terrorism, but where is the prez, vice prez and eddie munster?? are on vacation.

BTW...99% certain that our 100 year power distribution equipment is to blame. Problem with Buffalo's power grid, or was maxed out, the fail safes protecting the adjacent power grids failed and a domino affect occurred.

..sux to be stuck in a subway under a river...haveing to walk out on a narrow cat walk in the dark...

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

not EVERYTHING can be dubya's fault can it?

3. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I like the fact that they are giving tips to "weather the blackout"...on the internet!!!

If you have your computer up and running chances are you don't need the survival tips.

:D

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Re: Re: Hey who turned off the Lights??

I wasn't blaming dubya....I was making fun of the media coverage....terrorism was mentioned every five minutes...

5. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

It was amaizing!

There were democrats crawling out of the woodwork and swarming in front of every camera they could find. Offering their opinion and suggesting new legislation and wanting to throw money at "making sure it never happens again..."

I'm suprised they weren't directly saying it was Bush and the republicans fault (but they implied it).

6. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

I don't think we need to play partisan politics on this one, but I think the governors of the eastern states affected should point the blame at the power companies. I'd love to be a fly on wall at the inquiry.

If it means squeezing out a little Federal money to get the power grid updated, I could see trimming a couple B-2s or aircraft carriers off the budget.

7. mad brad

mad brad Guest

oh, great. federal "right" to power.

i think the fault lies in no competition for the stuff. don't remember ever getting a choice of which power company i'd like to use.

and you thought there were laws against monopolies.

8. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

Re: It was amaizing!

Whad'ya expect, elections are looming on the horizon, this is just the start of mudslinging season.

My toilet plugged up and I had 3 reps and two news teams calling for investigations :D

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Exactly. :mad:

If the pussy leftwing treehugging hippies would quit smoking dope or at least start inhaling and realize that we need to upgrade with nuclear power things would get better. During the uprade to nuclear you also upgrade the grids.

10. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

California got a choice. Most didnt like it tho.

I'm just curious why the grids shut each other down. I always figured they had really really big circuit breakers. :confused:

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You gotta live somewhere in civilization for that. :D Up here in NJ we've had state law deregulating power since 1999. We have some choice, not a lot. It's actually more of a choice of who we get billed by (which can result in savings), not who strings up the power lines. But it's a start.

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I used to think that it sucked that the power plant 20 miles away on the Cape Cod Canal sent its power to New York or somewhere. (It's not even the closest one to me, there's a nuke plant ten miles from my house!)
    It was one of the 21-23 plants that shut down during this mess, but we kept our juice through the whole deal!
    I feel better now! :)

13. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

FWIW:

H. Peter Burg, chairman and chief executive of FirstEnergy, was one of three hosts of a $600,000 fundraiser for Bush's reelection campaign in Akron, Ohio, on June 30. Dick Cheney was the featured speaker.

Anthony J. Alexander, FirstEnergy's president and chief operating officer, was a "Pioneer" for Bush's last campaign, meaning he raised at least $100,000. Alexander also contributed $100,000 to Bush's inaugural committee.

The so-called liberal media hasn't picked up on this connection. You can bet your a$$ that if this was 'Slick Willie' the right would have a team (Gingrich, Hannity, Barr, Dornan, Coulter, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, etc.) on all the talk shows getting out the word. Bush and Cheney keep some interesting company...

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

then I'll turn on the light...
    and I'll burn like a roman fucking candle,
    like a chasm in the night,
    for a miniscule duration,
    ecstatic immolation,
    incorrigible delight

15. Dave,

Why must your avatar be so disturbing?

Or is this a

THREAD JACK????

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Yes and without the republicans we will never get the energy situation straightened out. We need nuclear power and the left wing tree hugging pussies fight it every step of the way because they are too damn ignorant to realize what clean energy is.

As for Slick Willy, he had his hands in all kinds of shit for eight years and had his share of special interest just like they all do.

17. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Nuclear power is not the panacea that you make it out to be.

Slick Willy certainly did have his share of special interests as Dubya does. I'm critical of his and Dubya's. Why are/were you so critical of Clinton's but not Dubya's?

Are you capable of having a debate without attacking the other side's masculinity and name calling? Does everything come down to a debate of who is more manly in your eyes?

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Simple, the Chicks dig it if they think you're dark and melancholic. ;) :D

Or at least that’s the story I’m sticking to. :D

19. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

It's a hell of a lot better than using natural gas for base load generation, which is what Clinton's policies forced us into, driving the costs of natural gas through the roof.

Nuke power is the only way to go, but we've got too many tree-hugging idiots on the loose for that to ever work here.

20. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

RSDAD.... welcome back to the fold...

woe hold on there, TVA - Nuke Boy.... aka RCJohn. We are still not even really sure what caused the blackout.

There are some fingers pointed at some transmission lines around Cleveland Ohio, and some at overall capacity, the need for new generation stations. I feel it’s probably a combination of both. ....Which safeties didn’t trip and who missed the alerts?? If it wasn’t for some hero’s in the New Jersey’s Eastern Power Grid Office, the whole North American grid could have gone down. :down:

It usually takes a serious caining from government officials for the power companies to re-invest in capital improvement programs. This includes all of the Governors of effected states.

If the Eastern Power Grid worked as it was supposed to, our 11 nuclear stations here in Illinois or yours in Tennessee would increase power to meet the demand in the east.

The answer to any capacity problem we are faced isn't nuclear power; we haven't built a new reactor here in the states in last 20 years. Notice John, this isn’t a tree hugging position either. The initial cost and reoccurring maintenance cost of nuclear power far exceed the generating cost difference between coal and nuclear. The answer is more coal fired generating stations.

Cost of Power Generation

Hydro power has the lowest production cost of the major sources of electricity, with production cost of 0.5 cents/kWh. Nuclear has a cost of 1.68 cents/kWh, coal has a cost of 1.8 cents/kWh, natural gas 6.08 cents/kWh, and petroleum 4.9 cents/kWh.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003