1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey man, slow down and think.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm tired of getting phone calls and emails about friends, acquaintances and people I knew in the past passing at their own hands. It has to stop!
    I miss my brother Putter about every damn day.
    I know 2019 was rough and 2020 is much much worse but if you're having a rough time, you have friends. Call them! Call your parents, call someone! Hell, you might hate me but if shit is heavy, call me, I got time.
    'toe posted a cool video with a BSB star talking about his battles with mental issues and it's worth watching. Reach out to your friends and talk with them. Shit still too heavy after talking to them? Reach out to professional help, there is no shame in it. In fact, if you care about what I think about you, I'll respect you more if you do.

This shit has to stop and it stops with all of us. Slow down and think before things get too heavy. Stop and talk with you bros when they sound "a bit off" and are having a bad time.

Here on the BBS we will call you a pussy, asshat, fcukstick or worse. But it's out of friendship and we care. Remember that. . . assclown. :)

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

That's touching. :D

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Could you be my favorite facebull friend. Ciaran ward.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying but sometimes there's nothing you can do. This guy was my best friend. I don't say that lightly. We lived across the street from each other since we were 2 years old. We did everything together. He accompanied me to my first WERA event at IRP in 96 just because I wanted to see what it was about. Helped me build my first race bike and pit crewed for me at my first race in 97. He told me to sit at the damn drum kit because he was tired of me hanging around doing nothing and then encouraged me when I really sucked. He was an incredible musician but an attorney by trade and hated it, that was the mind fuck that did him in. We saw all the signs and attempted to intervene multiple times. When somebody decides to go, there isn't much you can do. I miss him every fucking day and this happened 6 years ago.

[​IMG]

VFR#52, Boman Forklift, j cal and 7 others like this.
  5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Suicide hotline 1-800-273-8255

One hour.

Only one stinking hour.

You can get through it. Reach out to a friend. Things will get better. Maybe not today or tomorrow but they will.

Get through that hour that compulsive suicide seems like the only option.

Just one hour and your mind will push that thought aside.

SpeedyE and TurboBlew like this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Just goes to show what a real good dude Dave K is.

Shit...what did I just say? ;)

stk0308, SpeedyE, TurboBlew and 3 others like this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have an appointment with a clinical psychologist on Thursday. Finally! It's taken me about 6 years to finally get here, and It was a challenge to say the least. It's worth it to get help.

I am lucky that I have a great network for support, including this dumpster fire of a website. :)

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others. It's like the oxygen mask on an airplane- if you help everyone else before yourself, your time can run out before you put on your mask.

Fencer, Quicktoy, stk0308 and 16 others like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

1: take care of yourself. No one else is responsible for taking care of you.

2: ask for help. Don’t expect the cavalry to come if you don’t call.

3. Be prepared to be torn down to the foundation and rebuilt correctly. Take this opportunity to discard the moldy, termite-ridden timbers you thought you couldn’t live without and build anew with fresh, untainted materials.

4. Don’t get discouraged. You didn’t get this fucked up in a day, it’s gonna take time and effort and dedication to get things right. You’ll slip and smash your face more than a few times. Bawl your eyes out, hug your dog and brush yourself off and keep slogging.

I haven’t had suicidal ideations before, but I watched my illusions disintegrate over the last two years, and have a lot more clarity of purpose and recognition of my own issues and am working very damn day to keep myself in a healthy space and to steer my girls away from the abyss.

If all else fails, helmet therapy.

Fencer, Kolbe, SundaySocial and 4 others like this.
  9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

We lost a 24 year old ranger here in the park two weeks ago. She was only here for three weeks but touched everyone deeply. She was bi-polar and her demons won. She gave no clues and had just basically achieved a milestone to her career. The park is a two hour drive from a small town and it still took the helicopter a hour to get here. They preformed CPR for an hour before the EMTs arrived.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the damage is done to the surviving with a suicide... and it never stops being raw regardless of the "time heals all" adage :( I used to give some quarter for the participants but not anymore. Ain't no problem or shame or guilt that can't be fixed.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

The Problem to the problem lies in the fact it is perceived as permanent...

Fencer, SpeedyE and tl1098 like this.
  12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

That's arguable. Especially considering the fact you can never put yourself in someone else's shoes. I used to think the same thing as you. I used to think it's the most selfish thing a human could do because the people who are still alive are the ones that have deal with it now. Like said above there's very minimal anyone else can do to sway someone who wants to do it away from it.

code3ryder, SpeedyE and scottn like this.
  13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Agreed on the first part. Not so much on the 2nd.

14. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

That is where the problem lies. It’s not selfishness that causes that, it’s hopelessness. Having a father that walked that line and almost was successful with doing it, they literally feel like there is no other way out.

It’s more of a means to an end mentality.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You say you just can't get past your pain?

That's the reason they do it.
    They can't move past their pain.

ToofPic, SpeedyE and pscook like this.
  16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

HS football friend took his life junior year of college and couldn't have been more "considerate". Note talked about what a burden he felt he was to others (had a very loving family) and he went way out into the woods by himself to do it.

Mental health needs to be treated just as seriously and with regular check ups like physical health.

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

we can agree to disagree on that the collateral damage is forever. Leaving a note... meh doesn't help any.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because guilt does wonders for a person’s mental health...

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

I cant speak of the motivation nor do I want to waste my time figuring out why folks are motivated... perhaps on the flip side there would be more visibility or not. Just saying
    the pain for the survivors doesn't subside.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

But it’s the person offing him/herself who is selfish...

Sounds like a little latent guilt...

gixxerboy55 likes this.