1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey man, slow down and think.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man that stinks, so sorry for your loss, dude.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sorry Scotty. You're feeling isn't wrong, and it will change. Let it. I'm here to chat if you need me.

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Terribly sad. My heart skipped a beat at you having to call his mother. RIP to your friend and condolences to you and his family.

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Does the feeling of guilt that you didn't do enough ever go away?

5. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

sorry Scotty

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You have to let it go. You cannot help someone that doesn't want help.

beac83 likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY

Sorry to hear Scotty :(

Sabre699 and worthless like this.
  8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Sorry for your loss, Scotty. Remember him for the good things and know that you did all you could do.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Even with understanding, they have to want it. I have a very good friend that is drinking himself to death. He knows he needs help, but he doesn't want it. I'll try as many times as it takes until he either accepts help, or accomplishes his mission. Guilt? not in this case.

Chino52405 likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Sorry for your loss, Scotty.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chemical addiction is not easy to overcome. They actual feel physically sick if they don't get their chemical.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Neither is death. My wife has a cousin chasing the chemical trail. He has been in rehab countless time. Most recently in jail for a couple months due to probation violation. So far, he has remained clean for a few weeks. All we can do is the best we can.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Thanks guys/gals.

He didn’t drink or use drugs, this was a major depressive/ptsd thing. He tried hard, and we all tried to help him. I’m not sure what else to say.

14. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

I work felony LE interdiction looking for dope, guns, wanted people and stolen vehicles so I get to talk to a lot of people that are addicts. When I do cross paths with someone that has been clean for several years, I always ask them why. They always start out with "I" was done with that life. They have to make that decision to be done, they can not be around anyone that still uses or anything remotely associated with that life. Anything short of them making that choice seems to be a waste of resources and emotions.

Good luck

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’m not judging anyone that struggles with that tho. Didn’t want it to come off that way.

BigBird likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thanks. I went through it with my brother several years ago. His partner didn't want to change so he kept falling back into old patterns. Even after the physical dependency, the break with the old crowd is difficult. Some are blessed with good friends and family that recognize the struggle and make adjustments to their behavior out of true concern for the individual. Some are not blessed and face a more difficult battle.

The Todd and BigBird like this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It didn't come of that way. Sorry for your loss and he was blessed to have a friend like you.

BigBird likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Very sorry for your loss, Scott. I hope you can let go of the anger quickly. Depression and PTSD, he was fighting something really tough. Just because people were willing to help him doesn't make it easier for him. Just try to remember the good times.

19. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

Very sorry for your loss. "RIP Sam. Fireman. Marine. Friend." - that's a description of some damn fine life achievement. He must have been a good man. Things like this are happening WAY too frequently among the veteran, LE and FD communities.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The Todd likes this.