1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Drummers...

Discussion in 'General' started by Wade Parish, Feb 11, 2004.

1. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

I played with this guy for a few years (in a seven piece funk/jazz band). Towards the end, he was playing two snares (a 15" deep, and a 10" pulled tight) and cymbals, nothing more ... but you never noticed anything missing. I know that these days he's got a collection of cheap drums, courtesy of Ebay, that he makes some pretty funky samples with.

That was my first exposure to 'less is more'.

2. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

You are correct! I knew there was a P in there somewhere :D

Don

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Oops!!! It was early in the morning, my brain wasn't on yet. They're DW's, (Drum Workshop). I only get to play them on "Kung-Fu Fighting" because our drummer puts on a gi and an afro and runs around, making an ass of himself. Lots of fun! Not the most challenging drum beat out there, :rolleyes: but it's still cool to get the chance to bang on some skins.

4. GAMEDIC

GAMEDIC Really Now?

but you are right..lol.. there are DP drums

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I never had a drum set, I played in school: middle, high, few years of college. College didn't have music majors, so we were all in it for fun, and boy did we have fun. :) :eek: :D

We had pep band for basket ball games, it was a fun group. Pep band also played gigs to raise money, we played conventions, meetings, even once payed at Road Atlanta at car race. Played in tent in the pits, and played in truck on the track.

6. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

wish i had a SONOR set. some kewl guy named phil rudd plays the in some small band called...uuummmm...uuuhhhhh..oh yeah
    AC\DC. now thats some thump there. and he doesn't have to crash with every snare lick either!!!! gotta love it.:beer:

7. Trickle X

Trickle X Instagram-regalmetalworks

Tama Granstar toms 11,12,13,16
    Tama Artstar snare 5.5 x 13
    2 Custom Kicks 24 x 24 (just using one now w/ DW double pedal)
    Just too much to lug around...
    Sabian AA cymbals from 10 hats to 21" ride
    I am thinking aof making the switch to Paiste Signatures...they sound so sweet but so $$$$.

I am refinishing the coverings on all the drums except the snare(lacquerd). I havent decided on a colour as of yet. Anyone have suggestions? I am thinking a peral blue maybe. I am waiting for the swatch samples to come from www.precisiondrum.com
    I am powder coating the lugs & rims in mirror black w/ maybe some of the colour changing powder mixed in.

What colour would you guys do?
    check out
    http://www.precisiondrum.com/colorlst.html

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  8. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

I used to have a 10 piece kit that consisted of a Slingerland chrome set and some other no-named blue drum set. I had Camber hi-hat, double bass speed king pedals (they were the bomb in the early eighties!!), Zildjian ride, crash and sizzle cymbols. Also had a home made gong a la Peter Criss. I never used it casue it sounded like shit but it looked cool behind me:cool:

9. novice52

novice52 there, but not really

the only person that inspires me to play sonor is danny carey

10. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Ah, you've got one of the old 11" Tama toms. How do you like trying to find heads for that thing?

Check out Sam Barnard's Website too. He's got great prices and the website has bigger "swatches" to check out. Also, if you click on the sample, most have photos of what it actually looks like on a drum.

I've been thinking about recovering my drums too. Right now, they're Marmalade Satin Flame (the fire-looking finish that's on Barnard's home page), but I've had it for a while and it's getting a little old to me. The Glass Glitter finishes (not sparkle, there's a difference) are really beautiful.

11. Trickle X

Yeah the 11" suck for heads, but when I bought it back in the 80's they stopped making the 10" granstar, so that is what I had to take. I bought it piece by piece, I was just a kid you know not much loot, but I had to have the best...or close to it...

I will ck out sams site...always glad to have other options....

12. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Size Matters!!

I have two kits...lets call em' sho and go...

travel set.

late '70's ludwig 4-piece red sparkle. 13" 16" 22". zildjian all around. 5x14 chrome snare. camco chain drive pedal. Soft cases. Trap Case. Travel as light as I can.

show set.

mid-40's WFL 4-piece tri-colored laquered set. Use hardware from travel set. tom uses in a snare stand. Add a splash, cow bell and wood block. It looks ole timey, sounds great. (only Tex would understand) :D

use pro-mark, sticks, brushes and hot-rods.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  13. Wade Parish

Re: Size Matters!!

That's funny. I didn't even remember that I have two kits too 'til you said it. I started teaching at home a couple of years ago and, since my Ludwigs have a 24" kick and they're set up for my height, I decided I needed to get a kit with smaller drums for the kids. I got a Pearl Export Select kit with 22" kick, and 10", 12", and 14" toms. For a "student line" kit, I think they really sound great. I use those when I'm doing a corporate/cover band type gig, and the Ludwigs when it's full-on ROCK time.

Wow. Those sound cool. Are you a vintage buff?

14. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Back in the day, I had a 5-piece cheap-ass Pearl International set. Can't remember tom sizes, tho'. Had two Zildjan crashes plus hi-hat and a huge Rude ride. That Rude would cut through any noize the rest of the band could make.

Had a 5 piece Pearl Export set for a coupla years with some Sabian cymbals but sold it cuz I wasn't using it.

15. Trickle X

Hey didnt the Pearl international set have pretuned heads or something crazy like that.....?

16. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

No. Just made with cheap stuff.

17. Go Karter

Go Karter Well-Known Member

All I want is BANG BANG BANG!:D

18. Wade Parish

I believe you may be thinking of the REMO PTS drums.

19. Wade Parish

Those are unusual tom sizes. Was that on purpose?

20. Trickle X

ahhhh yes that was dem......