1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He shouldn't have been running....

Discussion in 'General' started by Paige, Apr 14, 2006.

1. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

Don't worry folks , the State Patrol is gonna investigate .:D

2. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Damn... That is kinda harsh, as said above; no one deserves to die, life is precious, not a joke or something to make light of.

And of course you can believe the police's account in most cases, just ask the ones in New Orleans...

I bet money a dash cam was running ing the cruiser, I bet we never see it, I would like to before I pass judgement....

3. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Thinning of the herd. Weather just turned balmy here in S Wisconsin-we got gixxers and flip flops everywhere. No helmets. Fuzzy would be proud!!

4. 418

418 Expert #59

5. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  6. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I agree about needing all the facts on this one. That article said county employee, which could be any position. So, did he pull out on purpose, acting as some sort of vigilante, or was it purely an accident? I met a guy once at Deal's Gap, that rode his ZX10r with all of the shifter controls on the handle bars, as he had lost his leg from a similar accident. He was doing 130 and a 80+ year old woman didn't see him, and pulled out from a side road directly into his path. He acknowledges that a younger driver with better eyesight and reflexes, may have been able to notice him, but he places the full blame on himself for doing something stupid. So, if it was simply an accident, it was 100% the rider's fault. He shouldn't have been running.

If the county employee was listening to a police scanner and decided to play the vigilante and take this guy out, then it gets to be a bit more complicated. By doing what he did, he basically guaranteed that the motorcyclist would die. I'd say the rider's chances were no better, if not worse, than if the county employee stood on the side of the road with a gun and shot him. The only time we have the right to intentionally take the life of a human is when they present a valid threat to the our lives/health or someone else's. If that motorcyclist had just performed armed robbery, and killed a grocery store clerk, then I'd say: 2 in the chest, 1 in the head. But just running from the cops doesn't neccessarily involve imposing a mortal threat to others, though it is possible. Many times it is neccessary to stop a fleeing motorist by using any means possible.

I guess what makes me think that the county employee was at fault is that he was able to pull right out in front of this rider. That probably means that the guy was getting away, as the county employee didn't fear getting hit by a cop car. I'd like to know the facts, but I'm sure they'll come out eventually.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

9. mad brad

mad brad Guest

poor poor stupid criminal. :(

:rolleyes:

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

If you guys want to play "who know's" maybe the county employee did pull out on purpose but who knows maybe it saved a childs life playing near the street down the road. That's one trade I'll gladly make. :up:

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Next time I see you speeding, I'm going to shoot you in the face, to save that child down the road. Lawbreaker...

Just to be clear, that guy ran from the cops. Doing so, he knew that he was taking a great risk, and died because of that initial decision. It was his own fault that he died. That said, there are very few instances that I can surmise that would give the county employee (not a cop) the right to take someone's life.:up:

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

If the County employee did his intentionally, he should face criminal and civil prosecution, period.

A motorcycle fleeing from LEO for a traffic infraction presents LESS threat when not chased (no chase = slows down and is safer) and this protects the public safety which is what LEO is sworn to do. Unfortunately, many LEO are so testosterone driven they forget this primary purpose of thier duty and they just can't stand to let one "get away"..... what bragging rights would that give them back at HQ.

Let em go.... Darwin rules! People who flee will either do something else stupid and get caught or decide that they won't do it again. Endagering civilian lives via a high speed chase for a traffic stop (an infraction) is just stupid and IMO criminal in its own sense.

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

drama queen. :D

let em go? great plan. let's tell every dirtbag criminal it's okay to run, because god forbid they remove themselves from society.

screw this guy, spare your tears for a more important sports game or something.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Agreed:up:

15. STT-Rider

A guy or gal fleeing a traffic stop is not an immediate threat to the public safety in most cases. WHat he is is a threat the the Cops ego.

There are way too many cases of this shit turning into killing or injuring civilians. One dead civilian is worth a hundred or even a thousand missed tickets....? True criminals, like many of those who post here on this BBS, are very predictable, and they'll do something stupid again and get caught and pay the price.

16. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Not if the cops stop pursuit as soon as they run.

17. RedBull72

RedBull72 Sticker Pimp

yep, otherwise it will set a bad precident. You can't suddenly shun the law to help police to the point of endangering a life. Worst crime he was commiting was reckless evasion and last time I checked that doesn't warrent the death penality.

Me too as I have a 16 year old and a 10 year old. But the rider didn't seem to think it was important enough. What else may be on his record that made him run? not enogh info in the report.

18. STT-Rider

No need to worry about this, there seems to be an endless supply of cavaleer LEO willing to kill and die for a speeding ticket and/or bruised ego so we won't have to worry any time soon.

BTW - Jack, are you at Grattan? Can you give me a call, I need some photo advice for a project.

19. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Bruised ego or is Mr Too Stupid to stop is running for a speeding or running cause they have a warrant for armed robbery or carrying drugs or whatever. Tell me how Mr Bruised Ego is to determine why Mr Stupid is running away.

David

20. STT-Rider

Never know do you, so on the 1% or 2% chance that it is public enemy #1 why not chase em ALL and risk killing some civilians and get a "collar".

Makes sense to me.