1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have your N95 masks yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 27, 2020.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Spent 6 hours in BWI yesterday. Then sat at PHX for an hour. Didn't see a single person wearing a mask, but I could have made a documentary on the mom with the 3 kids that sat 2 rows in front of me that would have made the most effective form of birth control that ever existed. I overheard her saying that she's been traveling for 9 hours today and her kids were miserable and couldn't keep still. She literally said to her kids as she was fighting back tears "I don't give a fuck what you do anymore"...the oldest looked to be about 4.

R1M370 and HPPT like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

3. :crackup:

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Sounds like something Dwight Shrute would do.

6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

With what they have (#'s), I read it is in fact............. 20% higher mortality rate than the run of the mill Influenza, yep. Motion is correct a mundo.
    Currently Corona is at 2.3% mortality.

Why aren't we all dead yet? I'm waiting- not for your reply, was more of a rhetorical ?. I'm waiting to die. Been waiting since I was born! LOL

No seriously, yes, it's a problem, especially for those with co-morbidities, young, old, etc.
    I'll keep using my General Precautions like I always do here at work, etc.

I see confirmed cases of Influenza, and Strep A Throats pretty much every day at work. Knock on wood, I haven't become contaminated/infected.
    Sometimes I have patients ask me: 'why don't you get sick?'
    I usually reply: 'I use the force'.
    Then I usually reply about using general precautions, good hand sanitizing, lucky enough not to be coughed droplets on my face, etc.
    And- 'the force' ;-)

Stay safe and healthy e'ryone

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's been well documented that you have more than your fair share of dumb luck...

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

South Korea will be an accurate barometer. They're doing over 10,000 tests a day and twice daily updates. We won't know any real numbers until April. It takes 4-6 weeks for some cases to resolve and until we have a larger accurate number of resolved cases, mild cases, and asymptomatic patients it is unknown what the numerator is. Everyone is focused on the denominator but that cannot provide an accurate overall picture.

TLDR: We're completely in the dark. S. Korea will have provide a good idea on rates as soon as April.

(Source: Coronavirus research scientist Dr. Stanley Perlman MD, PHD, Perlman Lab U of Iowa, James Altucher podcast episode 554)

Senna and K51000 like this.
  9. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Dumb luck? I resemble that remark!

I'm smarter than your average bear....

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Got two boxes of N95 masks sitting on my desk for various work projects....40 masks.... Bidders? It's crazy. I saw where people were posting them on E-bay and people were paying over $400.00/box.. :crackup:

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

dude in germany bought 5 pallets of masks form china when it broke loose there 2 months ago.

he's currenty selling a $0.60 mask for 20 euros a piece and is going to be out of stock soon. "this is what it must feel like to sell drugs" he said.
    funny thing, it's posted on "bento" which is the liberal, all inclusive, washed down you th magazine of SPIEGEL -the equivalent of the TIME magazine, well all under Reuters, all under the same agenda:

https://www.bento.de/politik/corona...-reich-a-cd1e7a13-1a99-401e-a842-c7f5459c87f9

filed under the "justice (equality)" chapter.

laughable. dude was betting and he won. now they are questioning his morals.

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

80% are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, pretty good odds. They know a lot about the corona virus, this is a variation. So the death rate from the flu is about 1%, do you really believe the death rate of the corona virus is 30%?

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Cite

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Taking the extreme low end of the number of illnesses estimate (32,000,000) and the extreme high end of the number of deaths estimate (46,000) yields less than a 0.15% mortality rate.

Curious where you are getting 1%.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  14. ton

ton Arf!

death rate from flu is about 0.1% of those infected (CDC data https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html)

death rate from COVID-9 is around 2.3% based on the Chinese data.

That's a 20-30 FOLD higher rate. not a death rate of 20-30%

That said, the death rate for the over 50 & smoker population in China is quite a bit higher.

motion likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I don't even know where to start with this.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Those are the numbers that I am seeing.

Interestingly, it looks like the mortality rate in Iran and Seattle is MUCH higher than 2-3%. Most likely due to the average age of the infected.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Or a higher number of undiagnosed infections.

pscook and motion like this.
  18. ton

ton Arf!

the other thing that really affects death rate is secondary diseases such as COPD, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03...n-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

given that 60% of the US population is affected by one of these underlying secondary diseases...

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You are soooo slightly above average.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, if you choose to believe the leaked numbers that Tencent loosed about a month ago for just Wuhan alone on Feb 1st......just let your mind wonder about how many actual deaths there are by now a month later.

Why would they lie right? Not like its in their best interests or anything to be truthful about it.

[​IMG]