1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to believe it's been almost 15 years since the last AMA 250 race

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Mar 15, 2018.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

55 seasons. Wow. Way to go, sir!

galloway840 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'll still be the ringmaster :D

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's Friday, here's another 250 race to watch (and the following Pro Thunder race, missing the last lap sadly)

4. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

True story.
    Was working tech @ CycleJam when Robbie's machine came through my line.
    Trying my best to not break down in awe, I touched the usual locations,checking for safety wire.
    Got done and stared at the engine, looking around and thinking "WOW".
    Mechanic asked if there was anything wrong. I said, "No, just making sure I don't need to wipe any drool off the bike."
    Dude had a good laugh and said he would pass that along.

Few minutes later, Oliver's bike appeared in my line. Laughed when I recognized the same mechanic bringing the bike through.
    He grinned, said "You deserve a second shot."

stk0308, Repo Man 32 and Banditracer like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did Robbies the first race they came to at Indy. Asked the wrench if anything was going to fall off, he said something to the effect of "nope, Kenny would kill me" - I put a sticker on it and said have a good day :D

Rain Director likes this.
  6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

My dad bought Sorensons bike last year. Went through it and has been running it at some Ahrma races. Cool piece of racing history .

G 97 and motion like this.
  7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

JUST A HEAD'S UP GUYS:

If you're an old timer and you're holding onto your old 2T raceybikes somewhere and thinking about throwing in the towel, Mattology or myself will gladly take them off your hands, and we'll give them a good home, and keep them alive and cozy and in good health, and hug them, and promise to keep the brappps brappin' in your memory. Feel free to think of one of us first.

(god i've been trying to snag one of my friend's dad's RS250 he's had sitting collecting dust for literally like 15 years since it last moved, and he's a hoarder, and he'll probably die with 20 bikes tucked all around his shop one day, and it makes me sad every time i think about it.)

8. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Never got to ride one. I do rember a guy letting me sit on one and it felt like a bicycle compared to my 600.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

TZ250 turn 8 at Willow Springs bumpy and windy, about to be tossed off, 6th gear WOT, knee on the ground. Survive turn 9, loft the front coming on to the front straight at 110 mph. I can't think of anything that can beat that feeling.

pscook likes this.
  10. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I bought a TZ250 this off-season and i'll be running it this year... I get to 'learn to ride' again and I can't wait :).

Attached Files:

vance, stk0308, No Brakes and 3 others like this.
  11. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i only have a few production racer aprilia cup bikes... a thorobred 250 grand prix bike is far too rich for my blood...

but dear god do i love looking at them

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Awesome! Looks great!!!

13. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

That rotisserie chicken though...is truly legendary

14. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

I pity those who have never raced a performance two stroke.....:Poke:

15. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

Especially the "Mother of all" two strokes, the TZ750!!!!!!!!!!

motion likes this.
  16. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Good luck! The prices have jumped up quite a bit in the last year, I was trying to find one but gave up. The 250 replicas are going for $7k-10k, and the GP 250's are going for $10k-12k.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've never had the chance to ride one :(

18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea or worse. i may or may not jump on one at some point, but i got other plans for 2T projects regardless, so we'll just see what pops up. i'll just lay back in the cut and hope/wish/wait for some old guy to just want to see the dream live on and let something go for a reasonable price, to a good home, rather than trying to max profit. i got rid of my drift car that way... and it wasn't even that special. sold it to a good friend who would do it right at a steal rather than some vape nerd shithead kid. maybe it'll happen, maybe not, but whatevs. there's still deals around if you look hard enough, but there's also people getting nuts. surprisingly, there's a bunch of talk on here of things going overseas for primo bucks, but i've found a good amount of 250's FROM overseas for pretty reasonable amounts. but then you get the: $15k for rolling chassis, $25-30k for an NXA, $65k for a RSW... i love them, but not quite that much haha. its one thing too if you're getting a real deal GP bike with all the goodies... billet Brembos, GP Ohlins, telemetry, carbon bits, etc... but i'm not paying some insane-o amount for like a B-kit or A-kit bike with axial Nissin calipers and off the production line stuff.

19. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Hope you do.

1991: owned a TZ 250C, first years of the Monoshock. At least the fame was. Engine was a TZ350 top end married to a - no lie - RD350 lower end. Rods were TZ, crank and trans was RD. Came with a TZ375 top end; in other words, half a TZ750. Some other goodies completed the kit. It was my V5 machine that season

Tuned it to best of my ability, rode it to the business campus just to "see wottle she do." Unknowingly, I found the powerband; the front wheel came off the ground while still leaned over a tad on acceleration out of a hard 90 right turn. No one saw it, but I'm sure I had a wide-eyed "holy §shit" look on my face. Ran it at Summit and Nelson, trying to figure out how to ride it

Then came the Pocono WERA National. Lots of open space. I still bogged the engine in some corners, but had some "great sweet baby Jesus" moments accelerating out of others and was amazed at how easy it was to turn. It pulled hard when it came on the pipe. 2nd practice session, I found a violent engine vibration in top end of powerband in top gears. Parked it in tech after last practice, hands were shaking. Kurt Hall saw me, asked what was wrong. I said "That was the most violent ride I've ever had." Kurt laughed.

Later found that the TZ hp was causing the RD crank to flex, thus the engine vibrations. Can't remember if it was Jim Bonner or Bill Himmelsbach that told me that.

Mongo knew and loved this machine, known as The Screaming Yellow Zonker. He followed me all the way from Devil's Elbow to the chicane. :rolleyes: ;):D

HPPT likes this.
  20. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

whats the story with the front fender?