1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to believe it's been almost 15 years since the last AMA 250 race

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Mar 15, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

He did race in the world 500cc GP class for at least a year that I remember.

Sweatypants likes this.
  2. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

And i don't think they were very good.
    I think I remember a story about Kocinski getting so mad after a race that he repeatedly reved the snot out of his and jammed it in gear until the gearbox destructed.

3. YamRZ350

I remember a wild card ride at Laguna, did he ride a full season on a 500?
    I think he raced a year on an AMA superbike, didn't get along with it very well.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Am I thinking of Mladin? Did he do a season on 500s?

5. YamRZ350

Yes early in his career. Rode for Cagiva.

motion likes this.
  6. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I used to love watching the AMA 250s starting back in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember walking up and running my hand over the slicks of John Kocinski's bike and getting yelled at by an Aksland of some sort (Road Atlanta). Anyone remember him flexing the frame and pushing the front through turns to get the tires warmed up (or so he said)? That boy could ride.

7. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

:crackup:
    What do you mean “had” a presence??

They still don’t..... :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Barry Sheene + RGB500 = Epic

Mamola, too!

I guess Hopper was the last person to podium the Zuk in 500cc?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Side note: Simon turner was chuck Sorensen’s team mate in 2001

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

John boy was one of the rare natural talents. Amazing, but unrefined. Mercurial. Genius.

galloway840 likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

There was a guy, around 2000, I think, who had success.

Kevin Rogers Jr? Kelvin Royers Jr? Something like that. I think his dad was a famous mechanic maybe.

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Love threads like this. I get to learn some stuff.

13. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Kenny Rogers?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I offered them a National series the following year and not one rider took me up on it.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTDT - our F2 class is still built for 250 GP bikes and they'd smoke the SV's - but no one wants to run them regularly. We have maybe 4 nationwide that come out to play.

16. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

So, reading this thread got me sentimental. I watched the 2002 Daytona 250gp race. My wife made fun of me because she swears I was crying at the end. Thats a thinner me on the right, the guy on my left is now the Pramac Ducati team manager. We talked about Daytona when I saw him at COTA last year. I miss the brass.

Rocky Stargel C8CFD125-A099-4656-BEB1-2144B5AF3FAC.jpeg

Gino230, stk0308, G 97 and 2 others like this.
  17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Yep, that's him. Heard he lost everything he had gambling. Just didn't know when to fold 'em.

18. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

Been trying to not get involved in this tread, but enough is enough!

The bike that Sorbo sold was originally mine. The first production bike off the line from Yamaha that year. Purchased from RSC in Japan.

I rode the 250 GP class from the first one called that till the end in 2003. Never a winner but always a good grid filler.
    Guys like Oliver and Filice and all the others need someone to beat.

I continued to bring the BLRTC to Wera and CCS events thru last year. Got to the point that the two or three bike in my transport and one or two more were all the bikes and riders that were willing to show up.

Like mentioned, Europe is willing to pay reasonable prices for the few bikes that are being made available.
    I've sold two of my fully kitted 5KE's in the last few months.

At 70, and retired, I'm reducing my riding. But just spent all summer and fall having a 1975 TZ750 upgraded to modern suspension, wheels and tires.
    Participated as part of Team USA at the Phillip Island International Classic event.

Did not get a chance to sort out the bike prior to shipment, and spent the whole weekend fixing nagging little problems.

Still enjoyed the event and plan to go back. Great to spend time in the garage with Jake Zemke, Jason Pridmore, Colin Edwards, Dave Crussell and all the other members of Team USA.

Still have a 98 TZ250 in the garage. Have not decided what and where I'll ride either the TZ750 or the 250 this season prior to going back to Phillip Island next January.

Bruce Lind
    Bruce Lind Racing, LLC
    Ring Master of The Bruce Lind Racing Traveling Circus

stk0308, G 97, 418 and 4 others like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do always love it when the circus rolls into the track :D

20. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

After 55 seasons, the BLRTC is shutting down the "BIG TOP" just like Barnum & Bailey.

Still waiting for someone to buy the transport so I can close this chapter.

Bruce Lind