1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar solos that speak to you

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Sep 12, 2012.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee Well-Known Member

Check out Redd Volkaert's version of "Sleepwalk" on YouTube. The dude has awesome chops and tone!

2. DamnYankee

I agree. Steve Morse is an amazing gutar player. He is the most versatile I can think of; he can play classical, country, jazz, rock, etc. all with equal aplomb. I like what he played with the Dixie Dregs best.

3. DamnYankee

If you like country pickin', check out Brent Mason's playing on Stacy Dean Campbell's album "Hurt City".

4. DamnYankee

If you like electric blues, you MUST listen to my mentor Ronnie Earl (he gave me a lesson once after a gig at 2 in the morning!). His "Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe" album is my favorite.

5. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

Thanks, electric blues is my jam! I'll check it out. :beer:

6. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

I'll add Lynyrd Skynyrd "On the hunt"

7. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

iced earth : watching over me.
    song is about the writers best friend and how his life was cut short in a motorcycle accident.
    in the context of the song, the guitar solo makes it feel like the music is ascending to the heavens, to his friend.
    if your going to listen to it, see if you can find the live in athens version. awesome

cheers.joe.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

:up:

"My Foolish Heart" - John McLaughlin

9. LBSAXMAN

LBSAXMAN Member

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'm gonna check that out.:):up:

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know you're gonna get banned for the video, right?

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

But I didn't post a video.:confused:

13. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

Basically any time that Larry Carlton picks up a guitar, his lead on Steely Dan's 'Kid Charlemagne' stands out. David Gilmour is great, and Eric Clapton did a great job on the Beatles 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Ever consider that every time the dwrf tyrant posts, it's *not* to call your wang to the carpet? :Poke:

15. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I fell in love with Larry when I heard the solo on Room 335. Most rockers play pentatonics, and some even modulate; Larry can do all the rock stuff with a jazzer's knowledge of the fretboard. The manipulation of 12 notes in all keys is pretty amazing next to the same with 5 notes in only E, F, G, and A (usually).
    I also really like the stuff Steve Lukather did with EWF back in their prime.
    In my rock past I was and still am a big fan of Joe Walsh, Duane Allman, Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton (from the Humble Pie days), Mike Pinera (Blues Image), Rick Derringer.
    Speaking of which, Derringer's solo from Rockin' Roll, Hootchie Koo, as well as some of the live stuff he performed w/Edgar Winter is amazing.