1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

are you racing against the dirt bikes?

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

no, but the previous owner was doing the MiniGP series on a cheap-o amazon shock that was blown.

the ohlins front was 100% needed for human weight though.

BigBird likes this.
  3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

that was exactly my response

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Today on northbound I 75 around mile marker 290 in northern michigan I passed a grom and said WTF. That is all

renegade17 likes this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Just coming in here to say that the Grom is still no match for cool factor As the Monkey. And now the Trail 125 is better than the Grom. Suck it Grommers.

j cal likes this.
  6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

tried to replace the steering head bearings yesterday, and didnt have the spanner nut for the stem. who has one and where did you get it?
    the spanner socket for the clutch mods is smaller. the Grom steering stem socket is the same as the Suzuki GSXR swingarm socket, but it needs to be deep enough to fit over the steering stem.

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

socket is part number
    07916-3710101

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Bastards stole my cousin's grom last night in Queens. cut the chains and then rolled it down the block and threw it in a van.

Senna likes this.
  9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

So my mechanic / tuner Larry Zullo told me a story about a guy coming to him with a Grom he had modded with a turbo- he ordered an A-Racer ECU for it and wants it tuned. The two problems they ran into are:
    1. The Grom doesn't make enough exhaust pressure to spin the turbo fast enough to make any boost. So there's no boost.
    2. The A-Racer ECU doesn't have boost maps (or something like that)
    There's a smaller turbo kit available, but the guy figures he's spent enough already and doesn't want to mess with it anymore. So it's running around with a stock tune but lots of cool looking piping?

IMG_64C2C286E94A-1.JPEG

10. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Sounds like the turbo is too big, and wasn't sized for the engine/rpm etc. No clue if a small enough turbo exist for this size of engine. Sizing the turbo to the engine takes some knowledge/research, to have it run properly, the way you want it to run.

If the ECU can't adjust fueling based on manifold vacuum/pressure, then maybe get an aftermarket microsquirt system. But it will take some work to get all the sensors hooked up, and then mapping the microsquirt ecu.

Good Luck!!! :D

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Yeah they make a really small turbo, it's the size of a coke can. I don't think the guy wants to invest any more money in the project, though.

12. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

DISCLAIMER: I have not read all but the last two pages of this 148-page thread.

I've not seen a grom in stock nor modified form that can run with an Ohvale 160 and 190. That's based on the 5-10 times I've been on the track with one. The groms have some pricey bits but they're way down on horsepower; and also performance it seems. But, like an Ohvale, the groms are pricey. Probably moreso, based on what upgrades I've seen some riders make to their groms.

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

From the cursory research I’ve done, you need a 150R to take the fight to the Ohvales. Or maybe a KX65.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

a grom is a $3k street bike which some people put on the track for shits and giggles.

an ohvale is a $6k race bike which all people put on the track and have tons of fun with there, but that's where it ends.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

what's the largest bore kit you can put in without needing the oil cooler?

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

But did you stop in East Jordan and get yourself a nice cold Ice Cream ?

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Nope I was at the Lowes in Gaylord then headed home.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

FYI that's what Fudgies or Cone Lickers (aka tourists) do in Northern MI

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Does anyone make any sorta small trailer / cart that hooks up to the monkey or grom?

Ride safe,
    AAron