1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Finally got my Grom out on the kart track for the first time yesterday for a track day. It was fun, and I felt like I was moving pretty well. Until the NSF100s and CRF150s blew by me. The kart track race scene is pretty serious here given there are no full-size race tracks in Okinawa. But it was a good time anyway. No complaints about the suspension (YSS shock, Ohlins cartridges) or the Kenda tires, but it was my first time ever on the kart track so I’m sure I wasn’t at the limit anyway. -1/+1 gearing was still way too tall, I didn’t get out of 2nd gear, but short tight little track (the lap record is 23.5 sec) so less manic shifting might have a silver lining. Despite the purpose-built kart track bikes being heaps faster, I could see it could definitely be an effective training tool for big bike racing anyway.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    roy826ex likes this.
  2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

time to keep this thread active.

Hard Racing has a nice Black Friday special going. Just ordered some clutch stuff. Going to be ditching that heavy oil spinner and using an actual oil filter.
    • Kitaco Clutch Cover '13-'20 Honda GROM / GROM SF
    • Kitaco 60% Stiffer Clutch Springs
    • Kitaco Billet Spring Plate
    • Takegawa Super Oil Pump
    • Optional TOOLS

aftriathlete likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Thought about posting about that but didn't know if anyone cared about Groms anymore.

If only there was a HardRacing site for dirtbikes...

4. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Smart choice buying the tools. Idk what kind of pain in the ass it would have been to try to do the job without them, but it was a breeze with them.

5. upload_2020-11-22_11-28-17.jpeg

turbulence, Phl218, Ducti89 and 3 others like this.
  6. fastfreddie

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

learned my lesson doing the forks. thought i'd save a few bucks by borrowing a friend's Z125 fork tools to find out they're totally different. waited a month to get them, and still had to buy the Grom fork tools in the end.

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

You know an upper cut just got packaged at a UPS store and will be at your front step tomorrow requiring a signature, right?

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The surest way to guarantee a higher expense and a longer time frame is to try and go the "save a few bucks" route.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. :crackup:

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You need to get an Ohvale on a Kart track Bud.....The Grom is a great little commuter, no doubt. Won't debate that.

But for stupid mini cheap track practice fun....Ohvale.

(Meaning the track time on a kart track is cheap...not saying Ohvale's are cheap.....just to be clear).

12. fastfreddie

I ain't signin' shit.
    Return to sender.
    :crackup:

13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

ok so after installing all my parts, my Grom is now maxing out at 67 MPH down hill (speedo corrected).
    i have -1/+3 gearing and noticed after 60 MPH, the front starts to wobble.

not sure if i should drop a tooth in the back or not, but then need a steering damper.
    plan is to be able to cruise 50-60 without the motor screaming.

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

At first I read this as 67HP and thought what in the hell did he do to that thing? Then it occurred to me it had to be a motor swap before I realized it said MPH.

15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Groms are super fun, but outside of a spec grom class, they are expansive to make competitive.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How much do you weigh?

17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

225 lbs

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

exactly! 6 feet tall, 225 lbs on a Grom.

Sabre699 likes this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I’m 6’3 and “down” to 230 these days - it can be done. But I fear for what you’re looking for in a Grom you need either the full big bore treatment or an engine swap. Between those two, I think a swap is probably cheaper and more reliable (but that’s supposition on my part).

turbulence likes this.