1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grattan Yesterday...

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jun 8, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

And I would be willing to bet Gingerman is probably one of the only road race tracks you can see the entire course from at the bleachers on top of the hill. You can see the whole course besides when the riders go down into turn 10b

2. ton

ton Arf!

yeah. i've been gone since 2012. that does look better.

the CCS thing was always an oddity of Chicago culture. folks just didn't want to come around the lake for some reason.

3. grasshopper

Now Putnam Park turn 10 is a whole different story. You crash there and you are getting into the wall.

969, wookie and rd400racer like this.
  4. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Grattan is in bad shape. Haven't raced there in years, but I do remember having to force myself not to look at the sealer snakes when I was pushing hard. Summit Point is about as good as it has ever been. I can remember racing there when there were corners that had been milled before repaving. Sorry I couldn't make the event this past weekend. Sounds like it was a winner!

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s the Joliet soil type. It consists of shallow, poorly drained soils formed in loamy drift overlying limestone or dolostone bedrock. It’s not particularly attractive for farming as well. Then just North you have the Chicago swamp dynamic. It’s just not a good place for a race track to be built upon.

https://soilseries.sc.egov.usda.gov/OSD_Docs/J/JOLIET.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

upload_2020-6-8_17-17-31.jpeg

Phl218, brex, Ducti89 and 1 other person like this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think SV’s should be pretty safe. :D

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thats exactly what I experienced two years ago.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Seems Grattan was better back in the mid-late '90's than it has been in recent years.

Did the Team Chicago school there, got my license with GLRRA and then onto WERA. Lotsa podium finishes there as a novice back in the day.

I prefer CCW myself. Makes the 'jump' less technical. And always felt safer and less 'busy', to me anyway.

11. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

I was at Grattan on Saturday, and raced there in the late 90's too. Turn one is definitely worse, and is probably the biggest issue for most people. There are a couple of bumps to be aware of (one in the bowl for example), but otherwise I don't think it's much different. Conditions were really good on Saturday and I was able to run 22's when I could get free track. The sealer does freak some people out and you have to respect it in the morning before it warms up.

I haven't been to Gingerman this year, but was there last year. Overall it's better, but it has some sneaky bumps too. For me, Grattan races much better than Gingerman.

R/T Performance likes this.
  12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

It sucks from a racer's perspective too. I remember the "WE SWEAR WE WILL RACE IT MONGO".."BOOK IT AND WE WILL COME".. Those of us that did go saw a better turnout at Beaverrun when it snowed.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It might be that you have to drive 94 thru the shitty traffic & road surfaces around Gary IN to get from WI to MI and the other way. That route is the worse and I hate it. I would rather drive in Milan Italy during rush hour towing a 30 ft trailer than deal with that shit show.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  14. grasshopper

Good point. That stretch of roadway is fucking terrible and inevitably under construction until the end of time.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Mongo, you should run a race at Gingerman. Double the entry fees and that you must prepay 21 days before the event with no refunds. And with the stipulation that if you can't at least break even the event will cancel.

badmoon692008 and grasshopper like this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It's been under construction since the last time I raced CCS at Blackhawk in 1985, so hell yes!

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'd pay 2x for Road America, Barber, or Road Atlanta. I'd probably pay 2x for Putnam Park (only because it's 30 minutes from home.) Gingerman does not have that appeal. I'd go for a trackday but I raced it for several years and never fell in love with it.

18. grasshopper

Well POO POO!!!

19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Years ago I quit going to Grattan. I've been there a lot of times and, to the best of my knowledge, I've never been there when someone wasn't seriously injured.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Traffic and more traffic. Getting around the southern end of Lake Michigan and Chicago is a major choke point. It was easier traveling for us when we raced at Nelson or Beaver because traffic was much lighter at the later hours.

We would leave Thursday or Friday AM after rush hour and returning late enough Sunday to miss most of the vacationer traffic.