1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduation gift?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Apr 30, 2020.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If heavy travel is going to be part of her life - if she doesn't have it now, I think some high end luggage would be welcome. Don't be cheap, and she can use it for a very long time.

Or maybe only 12 months, when she discovers business travel is a truly crappy way to waste your life.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

She’s young, she can handle it.

But I think you guys are on to something. Luggage may be the way to go.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Make sure all hard luggage pieces have ~very~ good wheels. Again, don't be cheap. Emphasize quality and durability over quantity of pieces.

speedluvn and motion like this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

She's not missing much by missing graduation. There's very little personal at a big university, 4 years and mega bucks and it's "here's your hat what's your hurry?"....Think about what gift you have received that you still value after many years. It's very likely to be something trivial but with great meaning...a framed special photograph or such...

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

No to jewelry or watches (even though I like the watch idea). Too easy to make a mistake. Yes to business wardrobe, with personal shopper at local swankish store who does this for a living and can suss out her tastes and what is appropriate to her line of work and station, classic pieces, etc.

YamahaRick likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was going to say a real nice watch. I'd go with something cool like a vintage GMT or Explorer II produced the year she was born but that might get expensive.

A new Air King or an Omega wouldn't suck at all.

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

How’s the Bluetooth on those, Boomer?? :Poke:

Phl218 likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

May I recommend Rimowa in aluminum? This stuff is the holy grail for the international high end tourist crowd. It gets all beat up (seasoned) over time (that's good). Looks good with stickers on it. A set of 2 or 3 will be a highly prized posession for any serious traveler.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 6.52.54 AM.png

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'm using this from now on :D

A Briggs and Riley two wheeled carry-on would make a wonderful graduation gift. They are the ultimate luggage for business travelers. They look good and are sturdy. Whenever I would buy a trendy hard case bag with the crappy spinney wheels it would be dead in 18 months. Plus B&R have a lifetime warranty and will send you parts if something breaks. You don't have to send it in. I have a couple of their carry-on's that have been to hell and back and still look almost new.

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No one gives a shit about that kind of shit except for whiny little soy boys.

bleacht and Phl218 like this.
  11. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. I cherish many jewelry gifts from my Father and Grandfather and the ones I cherish most are the least expensive.
    A bracelet or pendant in silver or gold or a charm bracelet that she can fill herself as she travels for her career in International Business. Something that she can look at and think of Dad.
    Whenever my parents traveled, when I was a child, they would bring me back a charm and each charm brings me back to that time.
    If you choose a watch, please choose something less trendy than Michael Kors and definitely not made in China.

Fine leather goods are always a great gift- a portfolio, zippered pouch, laptop bag, business card holder. Again- not made in China.

It would mean the world to me to receive a letter from my Dad...."I’m very proud of her, powered through it in 4 years and never gave me an once of trouble"
    I have very few cards or letters from my Dad, none are more than a sentence or two- Mom always writes and signs the cards- I actually save most of his emails whenever he writes as he is 81 and we never know how long the gift of having both my parents will last.

Whatever you decide- she is a lucky girl to have a Dad that cares enough to ask the WERA BBS.

Potts N Pans likes this.
  12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

As noted
    Quality luggage
    Quality business clothes
    Quality business case/laptop carrier
    Quality business tools- pens, folder, usb battery block, portable drive
    But more personal, no innuendo implied, pearls are still timeless and classic - 18" strand 6-7mm or 7-8 mm. You have to care for them too.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I got a nice pair of Nakamichi headphones when I graduated. Still have and love them.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Do both. It just takes some creativity to find her something quite nice, somewhat original, and very personal. It could be a small handmade Navajo rug (for some,like me, they rival the best art anywhere), a very nice pen that has been personalized, or a piece of jewlery that she will cherish (like pearls, above). Those are just spitball ideas to get you thinking. It's not an easy selection for sure, and when you do find it, it might not be a slam dunk, but deeply thought out gifts carry a lot of meaning and tend to be held and valued a long time. Or...luggage?

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

My daughter turned 12 yesterday. I appreciate the information in your post. Thank you!

16. Or a nicer purse... need to know what she likes before ya buy a female a purse. I’m an expert at f ing up gifts.
    I would opt for a nice watch if you think she’d appreciate it and get it engraved in the back. Ya it will lose some value but this isn’t something she’d sell anyway. It’s something nice but also a small personal touch.
    Plus even a small investment account to get her started and maybe match up to x amount for the next year or so to get her used to it, plus that spreads out your financial burden over the next year.

R1M370 likes this.
  17. Also lots of great ideas above as well. Not knowing her it’s hard to really say but only thing is at least one item should have some personal sentimental value to it. I’m sure she knows you are proud of her but 5-10 years from now when she sees that item she will he reminded when she’s off and too busy to come see mom and dad.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Watch.
    Good luggage. Briggs is THE standard. Especially in the nylon soft sides. Lots of road warriors also like Tumi hardsides.
    Good noise canceling headset.
    Nice folio/planner and quality pen
    Kick ass brief case like from https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-briefcases https://colsenkeane.com/ or similar crazy overpriced heirloom quality leather. Be advised they are heavy. Get the slim model.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I like the Tumi Alpha lines. Have a few but the one I bought over 10 years ago is still my primary. I do wish they offered a smaller version.
    Bose wireless noise canceling headphones are on sale at Crutchfield right now.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Graduate School applications maybe?