1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduation gift?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My kid is graduating from UW-Madison in a couple weeks. I’m bummed for her that she won’t get to do the whole cap and gown thing due to Covid, but she doesn’t seem to give a shit lol. I’m very proud of her, powered through it in 4 years and never gave me an once of trouble. I’m a meathead college dropout, so I really do have no frame of reference. I have zero idea what’s appropriate, how much to spend, etc etc.

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What are her interests?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pie.

L8RSK8R and R Acree like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

An investment account?? :D

nd4spd and R1M370 like this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

A new car? A few grand?!

6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Can't go wrong buying a Michael Kors purse and/or watch for your kid.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

+1
    I never got a grad present, like you I'm a meathead dropout too. It might seem like a lame present compared to a mustang convertible or some other material thing, but its a good one. Although she might not appreciate it now, she will later. Congrats to her.

How much depends on what she took, and what her job prospects are. Is she going to be out of the house and self sufficient, or going to be living the next 10 years under your roof trying to find herself, after her "sexing and milking almond nuts" degree lets her down in the job market :D.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    TurboBlew likes this.
  8. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Hookers and Blow?
    :Poke::crackup:

sanee and Phl218 like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was scrolling down like WTF is with all these non-hookers and blow responses.... and finally O comes thru.

To the rest of you slackers above...get with the program.

sanee, L8RSK8R and omatter34 like this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Over here, I hear the latest craze is girls getting boob jobs for their graduation. WTF is wrong with people ?

dtalbott likes this.
  11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

A new FZ-07

12. Scotty87

Work. Seriously.

Maybe a side amount of swimming.

13. Scotty87

Not her style at all. I’ve never even seen her with a purse.

14. Scotty87

International business. She’s not a soy milk typical millennial, which is probably why I always defend them on here when the cell phone belt clip crowd starts crowing about how all millennials are shit.

I’m comfortable financially, but not in a position to buy her a new car, and I don’t even know if she’d want one. She has an 06 Camry that she loves and is meticulous with maintenance and cleaning on (I know this because I’m her mechanic lol).

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Congrats to YOU now, sounds like you raised a great kid. Buy her a vacation? Either with you, or without. If she busted that much ass going through school it might be she just needs a couple weeks to relax and have some fun. Tough time to be traveling......but might be some good deals in the coming months. She might not get the chance to do so for a few years while she's starting out building a career.

bleacht, tl1098, nd4spd and 1 other person like this.
  16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

If she is moving away after graduation some furniture for her new place would be a nice gift.

After that I got nothing :crackup:

17. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

International business, is that like an importer/exporter? :D

But seriously, you aren't being very helpful with any background info. Gifts are personal and it's not like there are any "standard" graduation gifts (other than hookers & blow). My suggestion is take one of her interests and buy her something extravagant (within reason) related to it that she wouldn't normally shell out the coin for. Like if she likes to camp, get her a super badass tent or something.

18. Scotty87

I can’t take any credit. She has been a hard working, pragmatic, non emotional self starter from a young age. I’m incredibly lucky.

tony 340 and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Four digit Amazon gift card.

That's four digits to the left of the decimal point.

Oh, and congrats!

20. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Second the investment account. And explain compound interest to her if she does not already know about it.

StaccatoFan and TurboBlew like this.