1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goofy sayings from people...

Discussion in 'General' started by Raceless man, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

Me too.

2. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Gunny Greene used to say at pre-inspection times , " shinin' like a diamond in a goats Ass."

3. backho

backho Well-Known Member

“We’ll, I’ve been to 2 world’s fairs and a goat fu k and never seen anything like that before.”

4. backho

backho Well-Known Member

The grammar police just sent a warning, it’s well not we’ll.

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

This is an interesting topic, I speak a few languages and pay attention to these things and how they spread interests me.

In 2009 “It is what it is” came into our crew and spread like fire. In the racing paddock and in population. I’m immune to many influences as I don’t watch tv or use social media hardly at all.

it’s been a decade and it’s still going... interesting to see if it’ll back off like the “know what I’m saying” phase did when this one arrived.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It might be an age thing for hill people but about 5 years ago, or more Mongo started saying “and the Like” on here... all my older kin said that when I was a kid and I’m sure his too. I haven’t started yet but he’s got a few years on me ;)

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's his goofy saying, maybe you're wrong.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My 2 cents...

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

"That's what she said."

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably picked it up from Grandpa (South Charleston West by God Virginia).

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I noticed it awhile back and it made me smile thinking of my papaw. Thanks for that... Now I’m curious as to when you started and when I should expect to start... must be when you’ve said enough and if they don’t understand by then they’re not going to so they get the three words “and the like” haha love it.

it’s all relative in West Virgina! @Steeltoe and I were just discussing this!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most of that kind of stuff has been verbal all my life. Depends on how I'm speaking in my head as I type if it comes out here. Some posts even have a full on accent :crackup:

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Bless your heart.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I try not to use the hillbilly unless talking to others...

Things like
    “imna” I am going to
    “Skoden” let us go then

and many others are Appalachia Rooted and not to be confused with Jeff Foxworthy TX talk

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

You need a translation Cholo?

I’m Appalachia halfbreed hillbilly and had never heard that until an adult, we don’t say y’all either... those are lower elevation flatlander Southern phrases... my kin would tell you whatever is wrong with you and where to go instead of a bullshit passive aggressive “bless your heart”

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Moose and I would have the best talks, he was from just over the hills in a hollar from the Rez. I get him riled up until he said “let’s fight like our ancestors... I’ll get a gun and you get a rock” I’d laugh all the way back to my pit... miss that Hillbilly, which is what we both endearingly called each other.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't speak it other than extremely rare circumstances however I do know the language well :D Honestly I don't try to speak it mostly because I cannot do Grandpas linguistic prowess justice. Some of the stuff Foxworthy says is Appalachian and it's always fun to hear sayings I grew up with in his bits.

27 likes this.
  18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

just being pokey toward the people saying it in the other thread

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Cool, I don’t get it... but I’m more of a direct communicator, nobody ever wonders what I thought or felt about things.

what about you? You have to have some in both languages. Answer me this... why is MFer said F your Mom in Spanish but son of a bitch is correct as in hijo de puta... always wondered if my mexican buddies just messed up the translation and it stuck, or if it’s not said at all in spanish normally

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Languages are neat... recently a show called Reservation Dogs about some western Cherokee kids in OK has been getting attention and they had an article about a bunch of sayings like we are talking about that are unmistakably Appalachia, that part of the tribe has been in OK for 200 years and their version of the English language still carries strong.

on Foxworthy I guess “dyeetyet” did you eat yet and others could be... non native Texans came from the hills too I’m sure... Davey Crocket for one