1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Bodywork, Bad bodywork

Discussion in 'General' started by D-Nice, Aug 1, 2002.

1. tigerblade

tigerblade Mostly Titanium

You forgot to tell 'em how it holds up in a crash... ;) :p

2. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

From what I have seen (2 bikes tested) the Huge stuff holds up very well in a crash and no damage was inflicted other than what the body-to-pavement caused. I wish I could say the same for my Sharkskinz. There are quite a few spots on the edges where the resin used to form the edges chunked out and most of the area around the upper tail mount behind the seat did the same. I have most of it fixed but now I have to paint everything instead of just the rashed spot.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Shut your piehole. :p

The bodywork held up fine I just can't say that for the rider. :rolleyes:

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i have used sharkskins, and multi-tech. for the money: multi-tech. have the money? sharkskins!!

5. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

I find the #1 problem with Bodywork is the installation more than the quality. Most racers DON'T properly mount their body work. Sharkskinz get such a good rep because it is good quality, but because of the flexiblity, It fares well because most racers use zip ties for their "factory" mounting kit.

Air-Tech and Multi-Tech are much firmer with Multi-Tech having a superior construction over the Air-Tech 500.00 bodywork kits.

I mounted my Air Tech with 6 solid "mount points" on the Front upper/bottom with 4 solid mount points on the tailsection and it did extremely well in a 100mph end-over-end (6 times) crash. In fact, it was totally intact. I raced on it the next day.

I have had no service issues with them (Air-Tech), but know several people that have.

Poorly mounted bodywork causes more damage than relative to the crash in many cases. When used with frame sliders, I believe you create a very strong "shell" around the bike that prevents significant damage.

Good Luck...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2002
  6. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

How flexible are sharkskinz supposed to be? I think I may have some defective ones cause they don't seem to flex much more than the Air-Tech. I did see some bodywork that you could literally roll into a ball, not sure who made it but it was kind of impressive.

7. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Gp Composite and Cheetah seem to be the most flexible bodywork I have ever seen but it also seems to be the thinnest.

Seems like a lot of people use paint that is not designed to flex, or does not have the proper flex agents in it, so when it bends paint chips but bodywork is not effected.
    The best paint seems to be a very thin two part system designed for plastic bumpers.IMO

8. actiontek

actiontek Well-Known Member

TK3

I have posted that TK3 sucks. I called the company to tell them of my thoughts on the set I bought from them. Instead of getting a reply like "well you get what you pay for" or no reply at all, I get a call from one of the owners telling me that they will take care of the problem and will send replacements. I haven't seen the replacements yet but it is encouraging to have a business owner call me to at least make the attempt to satify one of his customers. I will update this reply when I receive the parts, hopefull;y they will come soon. The owner assures me that their products are better now. I have sinced repaired the broken parts and at least I know that where they have been repaired they probably won't break there again (stronger than any other sections of the pieces). One of my sponsors is Cheetah and the new owner is committed to quality and customer satidsfaction. He sent us some parts and they did not arrive in time to prep the bike before a weekend event. The owner arrived at the track and made sure they were there for us. I believe that you get what you pay for, but you should get good customer service no matter what you pay. I can put up with a lot if I think the guy on the other end of my money cares about having me stay a customer. My 2 cents.