1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Bodywork, Bad bodywork

Discussion in 'General' started by D-Nice, Aug 1, 2002.

1. D-Nice

D-Nice Well-Known Member

Are there any brands of bodywork that I should swear by or avoid? I know some people have posted that they have bought crappy brands of bodywork and wasted their money. I know Sharkskinz is good, but expensive. But I am slowly but surely learning to spend the money to get what you want. Now I only need the money to get what I want. So give me your opinion.

Thanks

2. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I always liked sharkskins, they are flexible and that can mean the difference between a small hole and a fairing long crack.

I had the "harder" fiberglass on my old YZF and it was durable in low sides, but minor impacts took chunks out of it.

Also- bondo and krylon and you can keep anybody work around for years.:D

3. amaner

amaner will do math for food

sharkskinz: multiple amaner tests, amaner approved. :)

4. D-Nice

D-Nice Well-Known Member

Alright, alright we know Sharkskinz is good. Is there any other brands out there that are noteworthy. And also, again which ones should I stay away from.

D

5. amaner

amaner will do math for food

ok ok. :)

this is only "hey, my friend told me..." evidence, but...

i have a buddy who bought beasley glass and hates it. he hasn't pavement tested it yet, but it doesn't fit well and it is very flimsy and brittle. that's just one data point, but i have seen the bodywork and am not impressed.

another wera bbs-er, actiontek, posted something about how tk3 bodywork sucks and should be avoided. search on tk3...

anyone else?

6. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

"RAM race wares" not only does it suck, you might get screwed.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I have experience with Airtech, Sharkskinz, Multi-tech and GP Composites.

Stay away from Airtech. It isn't very flexible and it cracks easily. It may be better now but I'm not taking any chances.

I currently have Multi-tech on my bike and will continue to use MT. High quality, fits like a glove, flexible but yet durable and good people to deal with.

Sharkskinz is very good stuff... quite flexible but also expensive. Big company so usually can get stuff out quickly.

GP Compsites not quite the quality of the Skinz or MT but is about as flexible as it comes. It is thin and light weight and a good value.

I wouldn't hesitate to use GP Composite, Skinz or MT(obviously).

I don't have any experience with the others.

8. Batch

Batch Well-Known Member

I have GP Composites (Vortex) and love the stuff!!! It's been through numerous crashes with me and held up splendid. And the price was right too!!!!

Batch

9. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

GP Composites

I have pavement tested them. The held up without a problem. Did much better than my ego. :eek:

Lee

10. D-Nice

D-Nice Well-Known Member

What are good places to order GP Composites and Multi-tech bodywork? And also, does anyone have some extra stuff laying around?

D

11. LtFDrebbin

LtFDrebbin Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience with Airtech. I ordered, and paid for a set of bodywork, and it was 3 months until I got everything I ordered. 3 Months of not having bodywork on my bike that I had already paid for, and when they were questioned about it, they acted like they didd not care, and they also lied about when it would be shipped (or said it was already shipped). Then it came with the tinted windscreen, which maybe I should have known. I ordered sharkskinz, and had them on the bike long before the whole Airtech order came in. I like the sharkskinz so far, no crashes yet, though.

-Just me complaining again.

12. gypsy99

gypsy99 Well-Known Member

I have a set of beasley on my bike and I am sorry to say track, dirt and other tested. Low side crash test- faired well and was easily repaired. The tip over in the trailer did not fair very well. I also noticed that if you put off the minor repairs they shortly turned into major ones. I do have to say that the beasley set costed a fraction of sharkskinz but I feel that I am probably getting what I paid for. My next set will not be beasley.

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

www.mtech-body.com for Multi-tech.

GP Comp. @ www.vortexracing.com

14. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

You have forgot to mention: Cheetah Race Bodywork
    http://crbodies.com/

Webpage is very good (online ordering and such) I have heard good things about them - will use them once they make the Mille bodywork..

15. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

I recently crash tested my Sharkskins and I am still trying to fill in all the spots where the built up edges and corners chipped away. It seems like the fiber stops short in all areas and the resin was used to finish the shape. Unfortunately in my minor lowside a lot of places on the upper and tail must have flexed and 'popped' the resin out of place. I also ended up with a 4 inch long tear across the nose. Overall I think any other bodywork would have faired as well without the expense of having sharkskins written on them. And as far as flexible, I don't really see them as being all that flexible. I have seen some bodywork that you can fold over on itself but unsure of the brand.

The Hugeindustries.com bodywork looks awesome, fits like factory and comes prepainted. I have seen fellow racers crash test it with very good results. I will probably go with there stuff next time even though it costs a little extra (prepainted more than makes up the difference though).

16. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I had a set of Multi-tech 01 GSXR bodywork for my SV and I was very displeased with the quality of the finished product. You could see the factory seams and the headlight hole, etc.....not the best clean up job for the mold but it did crash well......

17. D-Nice

D-Nice Well-Known Member

I just checked out their website. I guess the price isn't too bad considering what you get. I think the Multitech bodywork is still looking the most appealing because of the price and what I have heard here so far.

18. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

Hugeindustries.com bodywork is gelcoated, not painted. Much better, will not chip or scratch off. My buddy works there and he sais that the stuff is excellent.

-quikie

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Chipping and cracking gelcoat is the main problem with Airtech. Did Huge' come up with some other better gelcoat? :confused: It would be nice if they because gelcoat is tough as long as it doesn't flex then it cracks.

20. GaTarheel

GaTarheel Well-Known Member

I just bought a set of Cheetah bodywork for my 01 GSXR750 and was very impressed with quality and fit. I had never mounted a new set of bodywork before and was amazed at how easy and well it fit.

Another plus is that Marietta Motorsports (1-888-fastlap) carries it in stock and can even paint it for you.

Decent price too.