1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Supply Chain / Parts Shortages

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Labor shortage to unload, driver shortage to remove the loads from the port, no dock space because the unload is taking too long, rinse, repeat.

kangasj likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This just in...now CO2 is going to be in short supply so you favorite carbonated beverage/mixer may be in short supply. Of course this reporting will cause a run on the product insuring the shortage will be amplified.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

To be fair, that was rampant long before WFH.

SundaySocial, crashman and R Acree like this.
  4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

We sell centrifuge systems and every single aspect has been affected. Stainless, aluminum, carbide ect are all up, lead times for materials are up, plc's/vfd's/other electrical components are double or more lead times, pumps are ridiculous lead times, freight from the factory in Germany to anywhere in the world is a crop shoot. But it's a level playing field because everyone in the industry is in the same boat... so fuck it.

5. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words. That place is a beast and it has been a challenge trying to have enough inventory due to the main topic of this thread. It can hold a LOT more.

PM me and I'd be happy to give you some suggestions on the GF's lid.

6. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

HVAC industry for me too and we are getting hit with price increases every week, with price jumps higher than we have ever seen before. Factory lead times are unreal, used to be 14-30 days on most items, now 20 weeks or more, plus shipping dates are unreliable, with loaded trucks sometimes sitting in yards for weeks due to shortage of drivers. The factories are saying component shortages are the biggest issue on the manufacturing side, some of that is due to containers that are sitting at ports waiting to be unloaded, some is also due to chip shortages or resin shortages.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

kangasj likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

9. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Awesome, we just might do that!

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Someone put Captain Morgan on a suicide watch.

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Neighbor who moved to Charlotte 2 months ago was lucky to sign a contract on a new home build a few months before that. His builder told him he has rented warehouse space and filled it with lumber so he can keep his business rolling. He also said he isn't the only builder to do this.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I still think the lumber shortage is contrived.

Fuckers won’t let us buy the shit we need to build gallows and give them the punishment they do richly deserve.

969, crashman, cxd10 and 2 others like this.
  13. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that TODAY there are 44 ships off the coast of Rhode Island today ANCHORED because they cannot get into the port of New York to unload —-because the current load of sea boxes have not been distributed..
    Not enough longshoreman to unload ships….not enough truckers to distribute the the sea boxes.

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's pretty much the situation I'm in.
    The building I had built to store unbuilt bicycles is now my overstock storage.
    Instead of buying what I need to fill inventory, I'm buying in bulk amounts as parts come in stock.
    I'm waiting for building supply prices come back down so I can have another 12x20 building built.

50Joe likes this.
  15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I was just in Carolina Triathlon (Greenville, SC) yesterday to buy some tubeless wheel valve stems for my handcycle gravel bike build. I was shocked at how many bikes they had. Racks were filled and they had about 50 new Specialized bikes still in boxes. Maybe they just recently got in a huge delivery and my timing was coincidental.

16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Probably what they ordered in May 2020 just arrived

OldSchlPunk and R Acree like this.
  17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I've heard that. It depends on several things. What I'm able to buy as far as bikes, are high end stuff. $3K and up.
    If the shop is a "Specialized Shop" meaning that's all they sell, then they have 1st choice.
    Most likely they just received backorders.

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The ports said this week that they would expand their hours for cargo pickup, with Long Beach experimenting with a 24/7 pilot program, in response to the historic cargo surge.

“The port of Long Beach is prepared to take bold and immediate action to help the supply chain move the record cargo volumes that keep our economy moving,” said Mario Cordero, the executive director the the port.

LOL at port guy...bold and immediate action...I guess its Bold and Immediate if your a Californidiot...but since the port has been backed up almost a year and you're finally...maybe ...gonna think about...running 24/7. Sometime I wish I lived in China because over there this dude would have had a slug in his head 6 months ago, like he deserves.

ducnut, ToofPic, OldSchlPunk and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.