1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Supply Chain / Parts Shortages

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Spare a thought for all of those poor sailors. They are ready and able to directly stimulate our economy through cash payments to the local working girls, but must instead remain aboard ship and wait for some kind of relief.

SGVRider likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Hmm. 60-70 ships is what, 600-800 crew members? Charter a helicopter. If the clients cannot get to you, you go to the clients. A small Helicopter surcharge will be applied to your bill.

SGVRider likes this.
  4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Just read this one on facetube. Whether it's true or not who knows...

The NEWS says the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.
    Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.
    Traditionally the ports have been served by Owner Operators (non union). California has now banned Owner Operators.
    Long term, truckers in California are not investing in new trucks because California has a law that makes them illegal in 2035. The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.
    And in the words of Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story”
    BUSINESS
    CARB to begin blocking certain trucks’ DMV registrations in 2020
    Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020 or their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV, the state has said.
    The new “health-based requirements” will need to be met before a driver is allowed to register his or her truck through the Department of Motor Vehicles, CARB says. A new enforcement tool used by the DMV beginning in 2020 will automatically block 2010 and older trucks from registration

ToofPic, jd41, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cleats, turf shoes and some foreign made sports equipment, forget about getting them until Christmas (at least the stuff isn’t shit).

A couple of companies that moved production to the US aren’t having it much better since they can’t get raw materials.

At least the Heineken shortage has been fixed. :D

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Wonder why all those ships don’t relocate to Mexican ports, then just truck the junk under NAFTA clauses.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Isn't hijacking an issue in Mexico?

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't imagine the cartels would not immediately identify that as a new revenue stream.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all sure you want to play this game?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’m surprised they haven’t routed shipments north or to the east coast.

No idea if that’s even doable with the shipments already waiting due to paperwork, clearance and logistics. I’m so far out of that world and I only did pallet to multiple container level and I always had a logistics company handling the minutia.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those ports are backed up too, just not as bad I believe.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I was talking with a guy a few weeks ago who tried just that - had his China stuff sent through the canal to come into Houston / Galveston. Lucky guy - the ship was coming into harbor just as the big hurricane was playing Hulk with the coast. He saved on the trucking cost from Long Beach but, at that point, was at least three weeks behind in getting his stuff anyway. I need to check in and see if he has that container yet (also cost his $25K for a 40 foot box when he only needed a 20 foot).

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gawd damn, I’m way out of the loop. Cost me $30k to airfreight a 20 footer into Asia. That was a decade or two back but damn! That’s what they are getting for a 40 footer via ocean now? I imagine that’s door to door with trucking included but still, damn!

14. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Two years ago he was paying $3K for a China box door to dock. That is how insane shipping has gotten recently.

15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

The Baltimore port didn't appear backed up when I floated past there a few weeks ago and there is only a few freighters floating in wait south of the bay bridge and that's a regular normal thing.

16. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Pre-Covid my best demographic to hire were those 50yo+. Great work ethic, no BS, they just showed up to work. (Amazing how many in this age group are working extra / longer because they are raising their grand kids) When Covid hit, those that were close to retiring or could retire did. In my industry (manufacturing) that has left a huge vacuum. The 20yo to 30yo work force today are a management challenge to say the least.

I read somewhere it's being called "The Great Resignation".

It's almost as if when you combine a series of undesirable events, unintended (or perhaps predicted) consequences take place.

SundaySocial likes this.
  17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Supply chain is messed up even for companies here in the states . I purchased a pair of custom sconce lamps from an outfit in California back in the beginning of June with a delivery date of beginning of July ... but because they couldn’t acquire parts , delivery didn’t take place until this morning... that’s just crazy . I was tempted to cancel the order more than once , but really wanted the items so I rode it it . But never again .

18. grasshopper

19. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I just placed an order with a supplier in Singapore for GPS chips that I can't find in the states. Hope they aren't counterfeit.... My order with a US distributor for the same product isn't due until August 2022

20. grasshopper

What makes you think that the US distributor isn't getting them from the same place you are? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.