1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geely purchases Utah Motorsports Campus

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Nov 5, 2018.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

2. turbulence

sounds like they have plans to keep it up and running

5axis likes this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Xiaaaang! :rock:

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cool. They can test Volvos and Lotus there.

5. sdg

sdg *

about damn time too

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So after all the bullshit and lawsuit crap we're back where we were originally. Good lord.

t11ravis, BigBird and turbulence like this.
  7. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

did the chinese own it before?

8. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I think it was owned by the county or something . I'm going to refrain from. Dungeon type talk but I'll be happy if they make it the type of place it can potentially be.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, they tried. The county took their offer then was sured by some localish dude who started a company just to sue the county about the whole thing. Not 100% sure but I think they wound up paying him off so the deal could finally go through. It was a bunch of bullshit that ended up costing taxpayers a bunch of money and the same people still bought the track.

10. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

interesting.. yeah in that case TX Joose is correct, I guess theres not much we can discuss here about it without construsions (I just made that word) that fit the needs.

thanks

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would any of the discussion need to be dungeonesque? A company bought a race track. Same people who have been managing it in the meantime so there shouldn't be any major changes to anything.

Overall UMC is an amazing place but it's just too in the middle of nowhere to ever draw huge crowds so it'll always be iffy for big spectator events. Hope we can get back up there to race at some point but that as always will be a financial call. Not enough draw for our riders doing anything but the outer track but that means renting the entire place and that is serious money. Especially since we can't get gate fees to help offset some of it.

12. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

Im not gonna poke the bear here..

I would be more likely to survive if I posted some pron. lol

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then don't post....

14. sdg

sdg *

See... this is what annoys me most about it. Instead it sits empty for entire beautiful weekends. Not what Larry intended.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True, but Larry was willing to lose money to have races, hard to justify that when you've got beancounters to keep happy.

16. sdg

sdg *

Oh, I know, just sucks to be out there and have the place empty.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree. Hoping the new owners will find a balance for it all.

18. turbulence

so last time i was out there they built a new infield thingy for the nitro circus guys, complete with big jumps for the cars. in doing so they put some steel armco in a runoff area in the infield which basically negates any kind of bike activity for the full course... so now you have theee options, east, west and perimeter...

this was as of a month ago and i’m not sure if they’re planning on removing it at some point, but i’m sure full course for bikes isn’t a high priority so i doubt it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Full course wasn't really feasible anyway with the cost for workers to cover it all. Perimeter was a nice balance of big but doable.

turbulence likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You need to do some creative management. Pay them per lap. :D