1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Time Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 31, 2020.

1. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

What does it cost to have a brand of similar size made @Dan Dubeau

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Been a busy couple months in my new garage:
    insulated all walls with 1.5" foil faced foam
    lighting went from a single 60 watt bulb in the door opener to 6-700 watts of LED
    little glass fuse box gone replaced with a 40 space main breaker panel
    tons of new wiring run, easily 10x the outlets now
    adding a 36" man door, one more coat of paint on the door before install
    added ceiling mount infrared heater (just in time for 70 degree days)
    today's project- remove a window and replace with a 24" shutter exhaust fan

JBall likes this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If I had to hang a number on it, I'd say in the neighborhood of $200CDN for this one. Depends a lot on the detail required. Something a bit simpler would be cheaper.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yes, I know it's shocking but I actually spent the winter cleaning and organizing the entire garage. One for side for storing bikes and the other side for working on them. Can you believe she had the nerve to ask if she could park her car in here. Who the hell parks their car in a garage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bleacht, Photo, bullockcm and 2 others like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

No Harley?

6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

What was your cut time on that? Looks like you're using some pretty small tools there....

7. rd400racer

Damn thing blew up last summer. I got the Ducati to replace it:D

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. Dan Dubeau

About 2 hours. Roughed with a 1/8"em and finished with a 0.5mm tapered ball. I'm still getting to know this Tormach, so there are still gains to be made in the cycle time and toolpath optimization compared to what I'm used to. While it's certainly capable of everything I want it to do at home in my garage, I have to keep in mind it's not in the same ballpark as the big Haas' at work. It has surprised me a lot though, with what I've thrown at it so far.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Sorry man. Sooooooo now it can be said that you have had "The Harley Experience". :beer:

rd400racer likes this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Is that the one you blew up the transmission in your truck to go get Kelly?

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I love that Nighthawk.

Sabre699, RRP and rd400racer like this.
  12. rd400racer

No, that was the Sportster that was actually a decent bike. I sold it and bought a Road King, about 6 months later the internal oil pump failed and toasted the engine. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I enjoyed riding that RK. It was a totally different kind of riding than I'd ever done and I dug the mellow cruise. But if I ever got another, it would be an 09 or newer.

RRP likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There's room at my place for that best damn all-around motorcycle ever made.
    You know, the Nighthawk S.

Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.
  14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That's really not bad considering your finish tool size. Man, I do some stuff with a .015" and if you sneeze it breaks. What did you post out of?

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Best if your definition includes soul less. Much like the FJR I also had, great bike, does everything.....no soul.

16. Dan Dubeau

I used Rhino for modeling, and Edgecam for CAM. I play around with Fusion once in a while, but have never programed with it, should give it a try someday. I don't do a lot of small cutter work. Typically at my day job the smallest I'll use is 1/8". 1/2" tooling is my bread and butter. Occasionally I'll run a 1/16 EM to pick out corners on some special gauge pin or something, but it's rare.

I did work at a mold shop briefly about 6 years ago and got some good experience cutting trodes in telco and hardmilling with tiny cutters, but I had a 50k rpm precision spindle and a high speed machine (micron) to work with, not a 5k rpm Tormach with trailer bearing spindle lol. It's a bit of a different learning curve..... I want to cut some mold cavities for fishing lures in the near future, so I'm sure I'll stack up quite a few tiny cutters over the next little while figuring out my machines limits.

I need to add an air solenoid and redesign my coolant delivery. The flood coolant doesn't have enough pressure to really clear chips like I want it too.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why I sold my Goldwing.

18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Ah...I thought those Tormach's were coming with 7500 spindles now. Well that makes 2 hrs pretty impressive with that tool. I've thought about getting a spindle speeder, as the best I've got is 12k on a few of my Haas. Even a 30k speeder would make a huge difference. Yeah...I remember you saying you worked with Rhino, but didn't recall your CAM package. Edgecam really isn't prevalent in the states that I've seen. Surprised they haven't been bought up by Autodesk, like everyone else.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Very, very few Japanese products have a soul mature enough to be recognized. As for Honda, maybe an RC of some numerical flavor will gift you with its own sentience. After some years and mods, my CBR1000RR has, on rare occasion, shown an hint of being more than the some of its parts. It took time to figure out the way to make it show itself. You gotta ride it like you don't give a fuck. It wants to be whipped. :D

My '01 996S wasted little time showing her inner beauty from the time I made that first rolling-stop, righthand turn from an intersection whose light turned green right as I made my downshift to 1st. Wheel came up at the apex, carried through to the exit and gently touched down without a single head shake. If I didn't know the wheel had lofted a few inches off the tarmac, there was nothing else to indicate she was carving my line with the front in the air. Beautiful. Same could be said about going in, hard on the brakes. If a cornerworker hadn't witnessed and related the rear in the air while my knee was down, I woulda never known. And again, backing herself into a corner - never feel it, notice it, or attempt to promote it...she does it on her own, for me, cuz she loves me. :crackup:

20. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

92 Ducati 900ss?
    I picked up a very low mileage 900ss CR last year and then a SP version project a few months back