1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Heater

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I just paid $1.69 a gallon here in S. Cal., filling my forklift tanks. The U-haul and Propane place down the street charges $3.69-3.89 per gallon.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That works out to about $0.580/l Cdn if my math was right (no math, just used the first calculator that popped up in a google search lol). My last bill was @$0.586/l cdn. It's nice to know we're about par with you guys on something...

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I used scratch and dent conventional heating and cooling for my garage. Laid the AHU horizontal above the trusses but it could have easily been hung below if there is no attic space. Running propane or natural gas Id definitely go 90+%
    They are getting real efficient and your saving enough to justify the extra cost. Also flue pipe can be PVC out the side of the building. Every time I’m around ventless I start to feel ill after about an hour.

4. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I have a 23' x 45' x 8' garage with basically no insulation. Bought the Big Maxx 45k btu heater four years ago and it works great.

I keep the thermostat set to 46, turn it up to 60 when I want to work and it reaches set point in less than 10 minutes.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I just had the shop tank filled Tues., 1.59 in northern NY.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Good to hear Im not too far out of line.

Thanks Guys.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I think it is $1.10 to a $1.20 here in KS. At least from the coop I get it from. I rent the tank from them. I think that is $60; can't remember if that is every year or every two.

8. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

24x40 garage with 9' cieling height on one side and 10'6" on the other, 2x6 walls@ R-19 and R-60 in the attic, I use a wood burning stove.
    This time of year I am burning about 3-4 pieces of wood in the am and 3-4 pieces in the pm. burn typically lasts about 4-5 hours and still radiating heat at about 8 hrs out. and the garage is never under 65*

But I also go through about 4 to 5 cords of firewood every year and when it is truly ice cold out for a week or more straight of sub zero highs I go through about 15 pieces of wood each day
    But I like the outdoor time and the exercise, god knows I need both.

One of my friends has about 700sf of garage with 10' cieling heights and he has a reznor 60k, it sure has short run times but often, and when in there you can feel the huge temp swings, too hot then too cold. I think a 30k would be better for longer run times and less often running and a much more consistent temperature. He keeps telling me to go gas but I like my firewood and the work involved. I suspect real world cost is likely about the same, and if one to travel the wood does require an attendant the gas would not
    but that said I have left for 4 days in January when the weather was single digits and came home to the garage still sitting at 60* vs the 70* when I departed, so still plenty warm.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

7kW/hr.

Coal is the bomb. As long as you keep feeding it and keep the burn chamber hot.

Parents had this in the kitchen, would get the belly of that burn chamber glowing when they burned coal.

[​IMG]

I’d love to do a coal boiler out here, but there ain’t coal to be found. :/

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup:
    Derp.
    How did that escape my discerning intellect. :D

I'm glad to hear someone gets the appeal of coal. I'm overly simplifying my reference to Anthracite or "hard coal" as coal but, from central PA on up to northeast PA, it's just what home owners here call it. This is the Anthracite capitol of America.
    Anthracite is clean, odorless, smoke-free (no particulates to clog flues) and the reduced ash has not been deemed a HazMat material by the EPA. One could say that it's actually good for the environment. :eek:
    You can get it shipped to ya but I imagine that would eat into its cost effectiveness which is about 20% of electrical costs for the same BTUs. Who knows, maybe that couple tons a year to run a whole house's annual heating and hot water requirements won't really cost that much to be shipped? You got a pickup, come get some!

The stuff that goes to power plants is the stuff of the coal myths concerning ash, soot, mess, poison (heavy metals), etc...it's unfit for residential use.

11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Does your homeowners insurance know about that woodstove in your garage...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

It sounds like the heat anticipator setting on his thermostat is the problem not the heater

13. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

It is in my policy, it is an enclosed stove not an open fire!

no idea what a heat anticipator is, but his wall mounted thermostat sadly is in almost direct line with the rush of hot air, about 30' away and 5 feet below the furnace. So I think its location is the biggest issue? he basically has a typical 22x22 - 2 car garage that he added about 24' deep to on one side only