1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Heater

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I use a kerosene heater. 12 x 14 wood shed.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Are we talking heaters, RV's or just about anything else made these days? Cause I cant tell...lol. :D

3. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

19x19 8 ft ceiling attached garage insulated walls ceiling and garage doors,had the hawt dog for 13 yrs ,zero issues very happy with it.I think i paid about 400.00 for
    it.

4. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Been installed in our garage since previous owners built it in 2001. I’ve had to replace the inducer as it was getting really loud and the board which has the fan timer switch integrated into it. $240 in parts and about an hour of my labor. Those are the only issues I’ve had with it.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Voting machines. I’m talking voting machines. :D :crackup:

969, tony 340 and ChemGuy like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Mini-split off Amazon. Mr Kool, Innovair, and Pioneer are all good brands and can be DIY installed. They’ll give you plenty of heat, cooling, and evaporative performance, for year-round comfort, at ~$1K.

7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I have a Big Maxx purchased from Northern Tool in 2017 and it is still working great. The box did arrive a little dinged up but no issues in the 3 years. It is running on a 100 gallon propane tank. Shop is about 24x34 and I have the 80K BTU unit. Walls are insulated but the attic isn't yet (I'm working on that). It heats things up in a hurry. I leave the thermostat at 50 then turn it up if I'll be out there for a while. I don't want things to freeze out there.

Only issue I've had with the unit is the tubing to the pressure sensor can get clogged up if you have the unit running while also generating a lot of dust (shouldn't really be doing this anyway). Just have to take the side panel off and clean it out and all is well again.

This is the unit I have and I installed everything myself including the vent through the roof: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577751_200577751

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Radiant is awesome, heats objects, not air.

we had one in a previous shop, and in zero weather, open overhead doors, switch vehicles, and immediate warm.

Bonus, heats the floor, so it`s warm also.

Pepsi Drinker likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe you should have considered the upgrade 60 days ago. :D

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking the OP and BigBird may be related. :D

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm 24 x 30 (I think), 2 story. well insulated, with a way to close off the 2nd floor which is also insulated.....I have one of these and it works great! It'll cook me out of the first floor, and heat both floors when I need it.......I wish it had a fan, but I just screwed a small desk fan behind it, works good.

https://www.zoro.com/re-verber-ray-...rsmowdGGYlWb2_V74H4V739D1JWEI81MaAqPkEALw_wcB

Window unit A/C downstairs for when I need it.

12. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

60 days ago I didn't have a new tig welder I bought myself on Black Friday.:D

13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I have a HotDawg in my garage, guessing 15 years old, hanging from the ceiling. 25x25 insulated/rough drywalled. I think it is 100k BTU (yes, maybe overkill, but the price difference was negligible when I bought the thing-don't even remember what I paid, maybe $600?). Never had any issues, keep it at 40-45 in winter, and crank to 60 when out there. I'm toasty in 5 minutes. Externally vented out side wall, natural gas (gas line to detached garage existed when I bought the house). A little noisy when it kicks in, but all in all, one of my better buys.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Reznor - had mine for several years and it's worked great. 3.5 car garage, heats it up to 68-70 in 10-15 minutes and can keep it there without running constantly (good insulation was part of the project as well).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

What size unit (btu) is that?

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

45 .. I went back and forth between that and the 60 at the time. The 45 does the job well.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Questions from a financial perspective...

Let's assume an appropriate sized heater for a large 2-car garage, 700sq/ft with R15 walls/10' R15 ceiling. My research shows so 7000W/24K BTU does the job. I'd like to keep the dormant temp mid/low 50ºs and working temps 65º-70º throughout the cold months of central PA. Working time roughly 20 hours/week or less.

How much juice do the heating elements in these electric heaters consume?
    How much juice do the NG/LP heating elements consume?
    Put those numbers into seasonal costs of operation, including maintenance/upkeep.

I'm torn between the convenience of an electric heater and the cost of electricity or gas heaters that seem to be less expensive on fuel but require quite a reserve in the tank, have to have an electrical hookup and I wouldn't get one that didn't vent to the outside.

What I really want is one of these ($800-$1000, used/reconditioned), 15' of flue pipe and a ton (~$100-$200) of coal that would last more than a season. No power requirements. Maintenance equates to dumping the ashes and a once a season cleaning. The ashes can be scattered in your garden, across your lawn, on the driveway as a traction improver...
    What's not to like?
    image.png

18. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

electric heaters are not cost effective for larger areas, or longer term heating, and electricity isnt getting any cheaper. NG, Propane, are cheap, clean, and efficient. coal, wood, sounds cheap/free but, you deal with the ash, soot, and mess. pick your poison. Ski

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Would heat pumps be a viable option?

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

for you guys on propane...what are you paying per gallon?

Here in SW Michigan I am at ~$1.69/gal. They own the tank..no contract though.