1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun car, 10 grand-ish?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, May 10, 2012.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

lol - the dreaded drop throttle oversteer.

"Oooh, coming into this corner a little hot, I'll just lift off a bit...and I'm in the guard rail"

3. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

6 speed vette...'94 or later... bought mine new and still have it. plenty of power, great bolt-ons, easy to work on really, no issues, and 27mpg when cruising!!! Admiral blue with black conv. top...

4. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

If you're considering a 2 seater, do yourself a favor and at least test drive an S2000 and a miata. I prefer driving my S over my ex-Evo X with over 350 awhp. It's just fun.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I'd like to beat up an S2000 one weekend.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

What changed in '94?

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

tinted windows, fat tires, 2k/lbs towing...mercury marauder.

[​IMG]

c'mon...it's got bucket seats and a console. :up:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Porsche 911: Putting Lawyers into trees since 1963.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Old muscle car?

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

As always, lot's of good comments from the beeb.

Over the years, I've had a 1970 Mustang w/351C, a Crown Vic much like the Marauder, Jeeps, even an RX7 once.

The Miata would be the perfectly sensible choice. The 911...totally unreasonable but the car I want the most. Never was a Vette guy but I rode in a C5 once and they seem like great cars.

We'll see what the future brings. I still have a damn 86 Alfa Romeo in my garage with a blown engine. Smart thing would be to fix that, but it wouldn't make a great daily driver. Somebody said 90's 300ZX....cool cars but hard to find clean.

The search continues...

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ah, that familiar sting of owning an Alfa. When they run right, there's nothing better.

Too bad that's about 2 or 3 days a month at best. :D

13. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

Would love to have one minus the conv. top.

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm actually looking to trade my 85 Vette for something a bit slower and more family friendly... but I've never understood why the 4th gens were always looked down upon... I love taking the targa off and going for spin. ;)

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Maybe a Camaro? :D

I've never gotten the hate, either. No, they aren't perfect, but they were a huge step up in performance from the C3. I remember driving an '84 when they came out, it was definitely a "wow, this is a different car" event.

16. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The optispark (the distributor) was changed to a vented model which solved/limited the problem of mositure building up inside an ruining it. They go out fairly often on the LT1 engine. The side panels where changed (cosmetic), and the interior got a refresh (although I don't think it was much of an improvement personally).

For Covette's, in the past I've had a 93, 98, and now a 2011. The C6 is out of your budget for sure so I guess it would be between a C4 and C5. If you found a C5 (97+), then that would be better than a C4 (84-96) in my experience. The extra leg room from the transmission being moved to the rear is very nice and they are million times easier to work on than the C4. The fit/finish is nicer. The handling is VERY improved over the C4. The brakes feel better as well. The hardware is much better so you end up with a lot less rusted/frozen bolts. The engine bay has more room to do things like change the spark plugs (a MAJOR undertaking on the LT1). The LS1 is also a lot more reliable than the LT1 in general.

Parts for the Vette will be cheaper than the 911 and you'll be able to find them easier. Seriously, if you have a budget, don't get a European sports car...they will eat it away quickly. Vette's aren't immune from breaking down but when they do, you can find a replacement part from any Camaro/Trans-am for the engine or go to a local dealership to get new parts.

17. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

S2000 without a doubt. 27 mpg city/hwy for me. 240 hp. 2800 lbs. Great handling! 105k miles on mine with nary a problem. I owned a Mustang GT before and would never go back. There was the 00-03 version with a 2.0 liter 9k redline then the stroked 2.2 liter 8300 redline more useable version from 04-09.

18. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Not sure how big you are but I could barley fit in a S2000 (6' 200-220 lbs).

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The older gen mustangs were way small inside. I'm not big at 6' but felt cramped up in the 'stang.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This is on our local Craigslist. It's got 97K miles on it but it looks pretty damn nice.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2968583257.html