1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fuel pump on an flight: check or carry-on?

Discussion in 'General' started by breakneckPace, Apr 2, 2010.

1. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

I took a tank as a checked bag [box] on an international flight. It was NOT a new tank, so of course it had some fumes. I didn't even wrap it in any plastic. Dropped it off no problem.

lucky? maybe... but that's my $.02.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

Check it, you will be fine. I have dragged all kind of motorcycle parts all over the country a million times. The only time I had an issue was when I had 4 really expensive ECU's in my carry on..

3. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I'm kinda an expert on this subject.

Unless that fuel pump has been flushed out with a cleaning solvent you'll HAVE to ship it via UPS or FedEx HAZMAT. You CAN NOT put that on a commercial airline carrying passengers.

If caught you face severe fines.

4. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

Call the airport and ask

5. random hero

random hero Banned

I usually don't trust anything you say...... but I'm sticking w/you on this one :p

6. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

called them and it's for sure a no. thanks everyone for the input.

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

If it even smells like fuel it qualifies as Hazmat which the airlines won't carry unless it's packaged correctly and you would have to have a hazmat rating to ship it.

8. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

I had to leave a GSXR 750 axle at security one time (because I didn't have enough time to check it) and they caught a cr80 gas tank (that had been drained and vented) in my checked bagagge another time.

Did anyone suggest mailing it yet? JK....:beer:

9. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Save all the hassle and just drive to the track....
    Or mail it and fly...
    I wouldn't bring anything that could remotely be mistaken for even resembling what might kinda look like a device that could if used properly cause harm to others...
    The airport wasn't too fond of my axio hardpack as a carry on last time I flew...
    The time before that the guy with the wand went over my belt 7 or 8 times... I wanted to say something clever like "sorry I forgot to take my cock ring off..." But figured getting on the plane was going to be better than sitting in a little room meeting a guy named bubba with a rubber glove and my pants around my ankles....

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where's Chip at? :D

11. Bifferone

Bifferone Well-Known Member

Why not just call the airline and TSA and ask them the question? You can also FEDEx or UPS overnight the package to yourself at the hotel with no issues.

12. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

+1, done many flights with bike parts checked.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The problem is the gas and fumes, not the motorcycle parts themselves.

14. Chip

Chip Registered

I never asked for permission.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I figured that much. If you carried parts that smelled like gasoline, I think you simply slipped through the numerous cracks. It doesn't mean he's going to be as lucky.

16. matd

matd This aint no party.

I only fly with my wallet these days. I UPS everything and just pick it up. Minor expense and hassle for piece of mind.:up:

17. astars327

astars327 New Member

I recommend carry on. I checked in my AMB transponder. I didn't want to get hassled by TSA. Turns out someone wanted it more than me in checked baggage. It was missing when I got home. I check it out on mylaps from time to time to make sure someone isn't using it

18. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

As an international captain for a major U.S. carrier, ship the thing via UPS-Fed Ex. If you can smell gas, the machines can smell gas. Don't make your self miserable being stuck at the airport and missing your flight over this.

19. random hero

random hero Banned

probably because it was electronic, and put off a signal... so airport security wanted it is my guess

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doubt it. I put cases of them fully charged in checked luggage all the time and never had an issue.