1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fuel pump on an flight: check or carry-on?

Discussion in 'General' started by breakneckPace, Apr 2, 2010.

1. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Hello beeb's peeps. I've got a bit of a dilemma and I'm looking for opinions on what the best thing to do would be. I've got to bring a fuel pump from my street bike to the race track this weekend since the pump on my race bike decided to call it quits. Since I'm flying, I'm wondering what the best way to get the pump there without much, or preferably any, hassle from security. It's wrapped in a bag, inside another bag to try to reduce any fumes. But I'm wondering should I put it on my carry-on so I can be there to explain what it is and where I'm going? Or should I put it in a suitcase and check it and have it get on the plane that way? Opinions?

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Check it. You don't want that kind of hassle.

3. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

If it were brand new, I would carry it on. Since it's not and you can smell the gas fumes, I would check it in just to be safe since they could claim it's flammable/combustable and take it away from you then you're screwed. I've carried bike parts on my carry on before with no problems but they were new and in their original packaging and they didn't look twice.

4. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

check it for sure. if they confiscate it you will not have it for the race, guaranteed. not worth the risk, considering its only about a 35 minute wait to get it at the luggage carousel.

unless they lose it of course...

5. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

yeah, I've kind of been leaning towards checking it. I figured I'm gonna have to go off to the side anyway at security since I have a fancy metal rod in my leg, I could always explain it then, but checking it seems way less of a hassle. Don't they do those chemical swab things for checked bags? I would imagine gasoline would come up on that thing. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

6. chrison600

chrison600 Well-Known Member

It may not even make it if checked. It'll definitely show on the bag x-ray and they'll probably open your bag. A complex looking electrical object that smells of gas fumes? Chancey...

I'd suggest sending it as freight. You may be able to send it cargo on the same flight you're taking, or ship it to the track or your hotel via another carrier...

Just my thoughts...

7. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

mail it to the track

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe you could mention it when you check it in. Tell them you have a motorcycle part, it may smell a little bit like gas and you want to know if it's going to be a problem.

9. Chris

I would avoid bringing attention to it at all costs.

10. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

:stupid:

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

FedEX or UPS overnight. Carry on, no way with gas fumes present. Checked baggage? That's still a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. If it were new, no problem in checked baggage. You could find your trip delayed for many hours answering the same questions again and again. Do you really want that hassle?

Or, check with a local dealer at your destination and see if they have one and buy it when you get there.

Even if you do use FedEX or UPS I'd still have a backup plan from a local dealer lined up.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I suppose it depends what's most important to you: getting your pump to the track, or ensuring that you don't get detained on suspicion of terrorism.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

They'll definitely find it in carryon. They'll almost definitely find it in checked. The detection machines are extremely sensitive and the gas residue will definitely set them off.

14. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

a few years ago, i think it was the Ten Kate crew got pulled off a flight and in shit for having a rear shock as carry-on.... because it had a compressed gas charge to it...

spend $15 and mail it, and save your flying privilege. once you are caught with something THEY THINK is harmful, you are fucked.

15. TEFLON434

TEFLON434 Well-Known Member

MAIL!!!! :wow:

Even tho it can be said that its not supposed to be mailed.......... "fumes"....... I'd rather do that, instead of messn with Homeland Security..... Ha!!!!!!

16. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I say ship it to your destination. With whats happened in recent years you are BEGGING for trouble, even checked in to be honest. Personally I dont like full body cavity searches.

17. random hero

random hero Banned

overnight it to the track.... I could see bad things coming from bringing that on the plane.

18. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

+1

Call the track, let them know it's coming and ship it. Anything else and you risk not having a pump when you need it.

19. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

TSA will assume that there is gas in the pump, since the smell is there. And since you are not allowed to have flammable liquids in your checked luggage your bag will be refused.

20. Chris

You are forgetting the part where I am in line and tell TSA that you are "muleing" drugs in your anus. :D