1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those that question the sale of a bike with no title...

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 17, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

In the end a frame is just another part that when damaged needs fixed or replaced. Given the number of bikes and the number of bike accidents each year the total number of clean title frames being bought is such a non issue. Far more are for legit purposes rather then being used as a rebuilder frame for stolen parts.

Rebuilding a frame using parts from a stolen bike is a huge PIA. Theives are lazy.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am one of those that wants proof I own the bike, so I need some kind of title / Cert of destruction / salvage title in the name of the person selling the bike before I buy it from them. I know I may pay more for this and miss out on some good bikes and deals, but it is worth it to me. If it isn't worth it for you, that is fine too, just don't get all upset when a buyer turns you down when you try to resell. Also realize that the bike will be worth less without a title. That is just the way it is and probably the way it should be. The exception here might be a factory Graves or Yosh bike, but even there once it gets a couple of hands down the line they will likely be impacted too. I don't get upset when I find out a bike I like doesn't have a title, I just move on.

The Great One likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All the factory bikes would come with at least an MSO you can use to get a title. If they don't have a VIN they usually don't/can't sell them.

4. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, they part them out with a quickness I’m sure. Unless they steal it to make it their own then and pretty much only then could I see them buying a clean frame for it.

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

MSO is the real deal, cant get that certificate without it.

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

As expensive as newer bikes are these days...figure $15-18k for a new liter bike. Steal it, spend $2k on a frame. Two guys split the profit, a frame swap is a weekend job for two guys that are decently handy with a wrench. Pretty easy payday for a weekend's work. Or they don't even tear it apart, and just get tags from the DMV with the clean title and ride the stolen bike around.