1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those that question the sale of a bike with no title...

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 17, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Where did anyone in this thread remotely state this?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is closer to accurate than your seeming assumption that every titled frame is being used to launder a stolen bike....

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Chops shops stealing bikes in order to simply sell clean title frames to other theives stealing other bikes in order to build and legally register. :crackup:

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

If you're implying the over whelming majority of no title bikes are stolen property, why do you allow racers to race them in WERA?

5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Am I in the minority having a backup frame without having a full B bike? I do because the 600RR pegs have torn my frame at the bolt mounts twice and I have had hell of a time finding a welder who will touch it. Racers are busy during the season and "regular welders" wouldn't touch it.

6. Wheel Bearing

Ran into similar problems with the ZX6 frame. I'd recommend looking into cutting a relief into the foot peg to create a designed weak point so you don't tear the ears off the frame. Woodcraft makes their pegs this way, but Vortex doesn't, and I'm surprised by that. I bought a bike that had Vortex rear sets on it, peg ground down from a low side, but still didn't break despite having bent that backing plate (which is impressive, as that piece is like what, 1/4" thick?!?!)

7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Not sure why such a big deal being made out of this. Call up your local law enforcement agency and have them check the VIN's authenticity. We do it all the time.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where have I implied any such thing? I am stating my opinions clearly, you aren't doing the same.

I think in the racing community no title bikes are legal other than tax evasion. I also think it is a stupid thing to do for the buyer and seller.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: Had an issue in 98, the Woodcraft rearsets were amazing - but the frame wasn't. Make a weak point just be careful where/how especially if you put a lot of weight on the outside of the peg.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's just it, he's not saying the titled frames are illegal. He won't come out and say it but it seems as if he thinks they're all being sold to people who have stolen bikes and want a clean title for them.

11. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I think he is just being sarcastic

12. Wheel Bearing

Some people need direct guidance, even when it's lathered in sarcasm :D

13. Wheel Bearing

Because quite frankly, I know I have no way of proving it, but I haven't seen anything that discredits the thought process.

Racers are cheap as fuck and given the choice, we'd rather save the money and buy a BoS frame rather than a titled one. Additionally, like you said, can't pay taxes on something that 'doesn't exist'.

I do know a few friends that only want paperwork related frames for their own mental peace - whether that's a salvage cert, certificate of origin, or title. Even then, unless that paperwork is in the current bike holder's name, it's not any more valid than a no title bike (Since you have no way to prove that they acquired it willingly from whoever is on the title)...but I digress.

Again, I go back to looking at the numbers. The racing community is extremely small, and those that demand a clear title from that tiny racer community is even smaller. So what I'm saying is that the market value vs the numbers doesn't add up. Clean title frames would not bring such a high $ if it was only racers buying clean title frames because the demand isn't there.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Some people state the given and act as if they have enlightened the masses.
    I don’t think sarcasm means what you seemingly think it does. LOL.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one is saying only racers buy them.

16. Wheel Bearing

What other kind of situation is prevalent enough to warrant the current going prices for them?

17. Wheel Bearing

Next time I'll type slower because I know you can't read fast.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think if you typed any slower your two brain synopses would explode.
    Selling clean title frames is not a new phenomenon and certainly is not limited in scope within the racing community. Sorry if this makes you butt hurt for not understanding what most on hear have been telling you.

If you think this is a huge issue with sportbikes, you clearly have not paid attention to the Harley segment as this practice occurs in far greater numbers.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a bike part and that's what they cost? It's not like there are thousands of titled frames out there for sale in the first place.

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

A clean titled frame is legal and has a paper trail. What someone does illegally with that legal frame is not our business as the sellers. We are making sure things are right on our end, as it should be.