1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Yes, of course..none of them do it for the money, its purely altruistic and no one else in society takes risks..and yes I am being sarcastic.

Its a job and like any other job, LEO make a choice to do a job for what they feel is fair compensation. Don't like the risk or the possibility of leaving your family behind due to a work related fatality then quit. I mean no disrespect but its not like there's a draft and anyone is forced into a career in law enforcement against their will. Furthermore to suggest an LEO's family losing their mom or dad is any less tragic than any other professions is silly.

BTW..LEO is #10 as far as risk is concerned. Construction workers and grounds maintenance workers are braver and take more risk if chance of fatality is your yardstick. ;)

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Off-shore fishing isn't as noble a profession as wood shampooer. :moon:

3. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

This....

I hate the hero factor that some in and out of my profession try to bestow on us. I could give two shits in a bucket for parades, pomp, and circumstance. At the end of the day, it means more to me that the guys I'm covering trust me to cover their backs. That's the real "compliment". Life saving awards or the chief's unit citations are just ways of everyone patting each other on the back during an annual awards banquet. I'd rather nail my dick to a fence post sometimes.

I guess this is a mindset that I acquired being in an infantry unit years ago. Or being on a SWAT team. You know, the "you can count your real friends on one hand" kinda shit.

I've been in some pretty decent shit storms over the years, and I've never felt more proud than sitting around a night or two later, maybe over a few beers, and re-living the "oh shits" with my friends.

My wife, who's been a police wife or military wife for close to 20 years, has that "back the badge" / "police are our heroes" attitude, and good for her cause her support gets me thru the tough times when I miss a birthday or holiday or some other bullshit. But you know what....? Those days I'm working on baby Jesus' birthday I see a whole slew of other people working as well.

Fuck, I'm monologue-ing now. This is why I try to stay out of these bullshit "everyone's an expert from reading a news source but have never been in that situation" FTP threads.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Edit:

One more thing. I can't blame many in society for having a jaded attitude toward police as there's plenty of dickheads in this profession.

There's a guy I work with who has never spent a day in the military, but feels it necessary to put Marine Corps stickers on his truck and ticket book holder. His explanation... He supports the military. Bullshit. He also told some girl that he was on some task force that doesn't even exist. Just to get in her pants. And just recently he was attending a basic SWAT school (we're putting the entire department through one and no he did not volunteer) and he could not meet the physical requirements so he "got hurt". Basically, he's a pussy. And there's plenty of police just like him who need to be ran out of town.

I guess sometimes I feel I need to be the ambassador for all other police, who aren't complete tools.

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Yep, same with any job, there are a certain percentage of D'Bags, its a numbers thing and really no way to prevent it is there?

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm surprised a real Marine hasn't set him straight. They don't take kindly to poseurs. There are some pretty good vids/stories of what happens when they get busted. (My brother is a Marine)

7. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Why would anyone pretend to a Marine? I mean, that's like pretending to ride the short bus. :D

8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

That video literally made me want to vomit. Listening to that poor guy scream in pain and beg....and that sick fuck tortured him w/ bullets.
    That was a good cop, a good man who did not want to kill a person....and unfortunately he bumped into that sick fuck murderer.

I hope they sawed that fucker's head off with a dull chain saw. Muther fucker! :mad:

9. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Shortly after his arrest, the suspect in the deputy's death stated that, if the deputy had been more aggressive and had come up on him and gotten in his ass as he was getting back into his truck, then he would have given up. There's no way to know whether that's true, or not, but it appears the deputy was psychologically unprepared for the problems the suspect threw at him. Sadly, he might have been one of those LEOs that was simply too "nice" to survive that kind of encounter.

10. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Monte, helping your fellow man may be an alien concept to you, but it isn't that way for everybody.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

13. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

A few buddies of mine continuously point out his stickers to try to get a rise out of me. I say fuck it, it's not worth my time. We're not on the same shift, and if we were, I'd be one of his supervisors, so I have to be "all professional" and what-not.

14. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

15. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Don't bite your tongue. Let that h8 out. :D

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes, yes

[​IMG]

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

18. BR549