1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sigh.....had a lengthy reply typed out and just F it........you're not worth it. If you're too blind to see the problems in that incident, nothing I say here will change your mind.

Just 4 months ago> http://www.fox4news.com/news/texas/...hot-by-homeowner-who-thought-he-was-a-burglar

Don't recall any ill feelings towards the shooter, did I miss it? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I’ve sided with you on multiple occasions when I’ve agreed with your assessment. So now that I disagree with you and pointed out why you have the reputation you have all of a sudden “I’m not worth it”. That’s hilarious and shows just how small minded you can be.

For one, I’m not at all “blind” to see the problems on that situation. There was no threat reported in the call. None. Only that it was an emergency alarm actives through a cell phone. No actual call.

The officer arrived on scene, rang the doorbell, no answer. Walked around the house, no signs of anything. Then saw a person walking through the house, went back to the front and saw the person through a long 10” wide glass window and shown his flashlight at the HO. Homeowner moves (as anyone would do) and the officer side steps and shoots through the glass while not being directly in front of it.

Plain and simple the Deputy fucked up and he’s lucky that he didn’t kill the HO.

But, since you “don’t have time to read the whole article” or watch the bodycam footage how would you know that ?

Interesting that you have plenty of time to be on here and make a comment about something “you don’t have time....” for and then have more time to reply to posts.

If you’re too blind to see the problems with your posts and reply’s, nothing I say here will change your mind.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It was his home, he thought the cop was a burglar. The other one was a homeowner checking his door and being shot through the window.
    Cops were wrong on both of those.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I don't know which video you watched but the one I watched clearly stated it was a SILENT/PANIC ALARM that was activated. If you can't even get that part correct, there is no point debating. As usual shit always devolves into a FTP rant when you can't relate to the seriousness of the call.

Also, LOL at "there was no threat reported in the call" is that how it works??? that statement alone is enough to smdh. Go ahead have at it, I'm done.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nope. If I hadn't lost all of my firearms in that tragic boating accident many years ago, I'd have a 38 special in the bedside table. If you get past the dog and my other not-to-be-mentioned security option, then I got 4 shots at you. I say 4 cuz if you get past that, I'm handing it to my wife and going at you hand to hand. If you get past me, she's got one for herself.

6. BHP41

Cool man. You’re done. Now you’ll have plenty of time to actually get the facts straight.

Silent panic alarm? So WTF does that mean? We should throw all civil liberties out the window because someone rolled over on their phone at dialed 911? GTFOH with that BS. LEOs are human and make mistakes but if they can’t process a situation like that without shooting then they aren’t cut out for it. It’s not a fucking war zone and you can’t blame this on liberal policies. Again, the Deputy fucked up and he’s lucky he isn’t going to do time.

Yes, no threat. Panic alarm. Okay. Deputy showed up, inspected the outside of the house. Didn’t see any evidence of a break in. WTF did he think was happening. That T1000 melted his way through the crack in the door and was burglarizing the house?

So you’re saying the cops have the right to shoot anyone, anywhere. That’s what you’re saying ? Glad you don’t answer your door at midnight with a gun in your hand.

7. BHP41

Like I’ve said. I’ve seen things exactly the way you’ve seen things on most occasions. You seem to take ANY push back on your point as a sign of FTP. Your responses to those are not civil discord but to begin degrading the other poster as someone who doesn’t know anything.

To your link that you put in after your original reply, did I post about it? Was it on here? If so I may have missed it as I’m not on every single day sorting through every thread. The link you posted doesn’t provide a huge amount of information. Seems to be a tragic set of circumstances. RIP to the officer

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Some might consider the manslaughter charge tantamount to ill feelings, although the homeowner was probably justified in fearing for his life. As for the latest incident, do you honestly feel that a lot of cops would have fired through a narrow window into a locked dwelling? Let's not forget that this particular officer then lied about the circumstances, which seems somewhat indicative of awareness of culpability.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m ill toward the homeowner. This is exactly why every potential firearm owner should be required to go through a class. One has to be far more certain of their target than blindly shooting at a flashlight. Know your target. Know the consequences.

XFBO likes this.
  10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Last year when I got to North Carolina, there was a similar shooting. Reading both the free and paid newspapers, the LEO was visiting, did not identify himself, he shot thru the front door then went inside and shot the man again, held his wife at bay as to not allow any medical attention. I thought this was one of the worst OIS I had ever read and both papers were aligned. Six months later when the state investigation report was released. The LEO had transferred into the dept two months before, the wife which was in the back bedroom testified she heard the LEO identify himself and repeatedly command for the man to lower his shotgun. The man was insanely drunk. He lowered then re-raised his shotgun and was shot twice. The LEO did not shoot him again and was giving medical attention when the wife entered. He allowed her to comfort the man as he died.

ducnut likes this.
  11. nigel smith

Body cameras are the best answer to this problem.

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

While idealistic, body cameras are exorbitantly expensive. Several larger agencies are in contract negotiations with their financial managers and the public did not consider the totality of the costs. There has been rumor here that even Baltimore may scrap them soon enough. The liability pay out costs are significantly less than the program costs which is passed on to Joe TaxPayer. The majority of Joe TaxPayers couldn't give a damn about confidence in their law enforcement but do about how much they pay per year.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The police said it was a medical alert from a phone app. o_O

14. nigel smith

I expect that costs will go down as usage increases. My $24 cell phone is superior to a $600 phone of two or three years ago. A single million dollar settlement would buy a lot of equipment, and I imagine that the cameras are, on the whole, more likely to exonerate the cop than the culprit.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No. They’re not.

They’re just sold at exorbitant prices because taxpayer $$.

SuddenBraking and ducnut like this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It isn't the costs of the cameras, that is the cheap part. It is the cost of the storage, cataloging, and access control and paying people to do all that stuff. How much that costs will depend on the rules and procedures to gain access to that video, but no matter how you slice it, it isn't cheap.

Newsshooter, XFBO and ducnut like this.
  17. nigel smith

There needs to be a well defined protocol on what information to save and for how long, as well as to when the cameras need to be active. Obviously, we don't need to save endless hours of Krispi Kreme footage. I am curious as to how many hours can be saved in each camera's memory.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That was in Franklin, NC, and I followed that story, as it unfolded. The bullshit that department had to endure from the public was just stupid. White trash motherfuckers were bound and determined to vindicate this piece of shit that got shot. What that guy had been doing to his neighbors, in the months leading up to the call, was completely unacceptable. The guy’s arrogance and irrationality got him killed. Pretty bad when the deceased’s wife testifies against him, by telling the truth about the officer’s actions. The officer did a great job with how he handled the situation and was left with no choice but to protect his own life.

Franklin is a mess, just like where I live. They need the same draining of the swamp our town is going though. What’s unfortunate is their population is rather low and scattered all over the hills around there. It’s tough to cover large areas, with few officers. It gives the criminal the upper hand.

TXFZ1 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The cop fucked up. But more importantly the system that got him there thinking it was an intruder is even more fucked up. Homeowner obviously did nothing wrong at all.

20. nigel smith

I hate to hear that. I bought myself a mountaintop in Franklin. So far, I love it there.

ducnut likes this.