1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Football"? (soccer for most of us)

Discussion in 'General' started by Rusty, Jun 24, 2004.

1. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

actually it was a player from the columbian team and they were playing the u.s. in the '94 world cup. still just as dead...

now, england vs. argentina is a BIG TIME RIVALRY that was spurred on because of england and their colonizing ways back in the day (i am pretty sure this is right) and then culminated in diego maradona's "HAND OF GOD" goal to knock england out of the '86 world cup.
    if you ever get a chance to watch a match between these two countries do it, you will see what international soccer is all about.

2. jwb

where are you finding live feeds to the world cup qualifiers?

3. jwb

for those who have never played, soccer is an incredibly tough sport.
    soccer players competing on the international level are way tougher than your average football player, hands down.
    particularly european matches, they can get nasty!!!

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

now, england vs. argentina is a BIG TIME RIVALRY

It started during the 1966 World Cup in England. Argentina played England in the quarter final. There was some pretty unsavoury stuff going on which culminated in the Argentinian captain being sent off. England won the game 1-0 (and went on to win the world cup), the manager of the English team stopped his players from exchanging shirts with the Argentinians (a tradition at the end of international matches) and was quoted as calling them 'animals.'

A couple of years later there was a big bust up during a 'world club championship' match played between an English team and an Argentinian team.

1982 bought the Falklands war and the Empire really did strike back, which set the scene for the 'hand of god' incident. In 1998 they met again in the finals in France, this time Mr. Posh Spice gets his marching orders and England go out in a penalty shoot out. Two years ago David Beckham got his revenge and scored the only goal as England come out on top.

Yes, you could say that there is pretty fierce rivalry between Argentina and England on the footie field, along with playing Germany and the Scots those matches are a must win for every Englishman.

JWB, its the European championships they're being played in Portugal at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  5. I agree

I too played for 20+ years, played pretty much all years thru school, played for some ball for Whidbey Islanders in Wa. state back in the 90's, played on some clay fields from time to time to mix it up...talk about fast pace game...it's like tennis on clay...totally different game. BTW to compare to NFL...is a joke. No dought NFL players are in good shape...but Soccer games are played at 2 45 min halfs, with a small intermission as a half time where the same players come back on the field to play the other 45mins of steady sprinting. It was funny...I could sprint up and down the field all frickin day, but when it came to running long distance 2miles plus...it kicked my arse lol. Soccer is brutal, just do some searching there are some vid's of guys kicking others in the leg and breaking the leg at the shin, guys taking shots in the nuts at full swing, major head butts, balls at speed into the gut. I remember a game when I was 12, where I took a shot trying to stop a clear from the goalie right in the gut...made my frickin nose bleed. Anyway, as mentioned Soccer outside the US for that matter is like putting all of our pro sports and putting them together. Here is a little food for thought...compare the amount of fans that die at Soccer games in a season to a fan being killed in the stands at any US sport!!! It's a great sport! Over the last 4 or 5 years I started coaching Soccer for my son's teams, and it's a blast teaching the kids and having parents ask to have their kid assigned to my team. I'll always have a memory of my son then 11, where he was 1on1 with the goalie and snapped a trick shot off the outside of his foot and the goalie dived the opposite direction...it was so classic. All I think I did was smile and I was beside myself, when he came off the field I picked him up and gave him a big hug and told him that it couldn't have been done better.

6. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

I was listening to Virgin Radio on shoutcast, and had the Euro 2004 website up... Their flash updater was only about 30 seconds behind what the radio guys were SCREAMING about (which was quite comical). Looks like the Euro 2004 site has quite a bit of streaming content on it.

I doubt there will be any further commentary from VR on it though as their team is out.

7. jwb

yeah, what he said...

i do not know what i was thinking, i knew they were being played right now. :confused:

8. jwb

i see, i was thinking maybe it was a live video feed.

9. thegoshow2002

thegoshow2002 lovely jubbly

f**k, f**k, f**k, f**k. We lost again. Damn those Portuguese. I really thought that England had a real good chance of winning it this year.

10. freeride88

freeride88 Hooligan

I love soccer. As much as I dislike some things about the country, I'm a France fan. Henry, Zidane, Vieira, Pires? That's tough to beat.

Henry has WHEELS.

11. Carbon Can Kat

Carbon Can Kat Well-Known Member

All I can say is England got screwed big time yesterday. One goal disallowed on a play where when there is doubt of an infraction give the advantage to the attacking team.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What the hell was Beckham aiming at? Upper deck? Sky? Moon?

13. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

14. gerry

gerry Portuguese MotoGP Champ

Actually Portugal has consistently been a threat in the soccer world and it's pretty easy to find them on the map :)

Anyway, Porto, a Portuguese club, won the Uefa Cup last year, and the Champions League this year. Champions League, think of Manchester United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc. The small time Portguese club won it all.

Btw, i'm Portuguese if you can't tell :D

15. thegoshow2002

Where in Portugal are you from ??

I lived in Sesimbra for 3 years, and it was the most beautiful place that I have ever lived. I cant wait to go back some day.

Anthony

16. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Well I missed this thread - I was in Vancouver for a 1 day course on the Thursday. Cost over $1,000 to get there, hotel bill was $690, plus rental car. And what did I do??? I sat in the hotel bar and missed almost 3 hours of it to watch England play Portugal.

There are few things I would risk my job over, but England at either European cup or World cup are two.

We in England are secretly very envious of the way Americans view their flag, their patriotism, the pride when you hear the Star-Spangled banner. I love that side of this country. The only time England comes close to that kind of emotion is during one of these matches. The country decorates itself with the Flag of St George (White with red cross). Everyone feels pride and hope, yet its been 38 years since we have won one of these competitions. It is always the same; so much hope and promise, and pride. And the team always performs so bravely and with such spirit - yet seems to lose under the most dramatic of circumstances.

This photo is of one of Englands defenders, Terry butcher, during the 1990 finals in Italy. [​IMG] The photo just about sums out the passion in that game.

I know its not your country, but to watch an England game at this level puts 3 years on your life in the space of 90 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  17. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

One more thing. This boy is Wayne Rooney. He comes from my home town of Liverpool. He is 18 years old, and he scored 4 goals in 3 games in these championships. He was the revelation of the games and is now for sale at 50 Million pounds - about $80 Million.

[​IMG]

18. thegoshow2002

I miss the days of Terry Butcher, Chris Waddle, Lineker, Ian Wright playing for England.
    The blood stained photo of Butcher does indeed sum up the passion of the game.

I really thought that we had the best chance of going all of the way this year, but once again we crumbled when it came it down to penalties.

Oh well, we can go through all of the pressure and heart ache in two years time at the world cup.

IN-GER-LAND :D :D

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I know its not your country, but to watch an England game at this level puts 3 years on your life in the space of 90 minutes.

That is so true. The anxiety that runs through you during those 90 minutes, or 120 if it goes to extra time, is unbelievable.

As for Wayne Rooney, from what I hear he's got a younger brother who is supposed to be even better.

20. Rossirules

Rossirules Well-Known Member

The Greeks must have better wheels then? :Poke:

Holland and the Czechs will hopefully play the final and that will be a great game. A rivalry that is just brewing up.

Also, someone said a brazilian guy was murdered for an "own goal". Actually it was a Colombian. Weird thing was his last name was Escobar. Brazil won that cup here in the US.

But, a Brazilian committed suicide at the '90 world cup after they lost to Argentina. Threw themselves from the upperdeck.

Now that's a serious following. Probably only MotoGP's following comes close to that.