1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Football"? (soccer for most of us)

Discussion in 'General' started by Rusty, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

I have never been one for watching soccer. I played in school, but it never really caught my interest. But you see the bazillion people watching during the games. What is it that drives people to watch that sport?

Well, over the past few weeks I have been listening to Virgin Radio (which is a really cool station). England, of course, is in the playoffs (or something :confused: ...sorry, Mark). The station talks about it almost constantly. The "fever" that is generated is truly amazing. And now I find myself actually wanting to tune in.

I wish there was something that brought the US together in such a manner.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think that it's like NASCAR here - being a fan of a popular sport is a huge draw in and of itself. People are extremely lemming like when it comes to sports.

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

you beat me to it Mongo. i was gonna say Nascar too. I wonder if there are people sitting at home over seas thinking "Damn, i wish they would air something other than soccer, like cricket, or hell, anything but soccer."

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have played soccer (futbol) for almost 23 years now. Toos ay that it is like Nascar here, is an understatement. To put it into perspective, take the NBA, NFL, Baseball, and put them all together in one series, then you will realize how big futbol is overseas.

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

the NFL? How many people watch the world cup vs the super bowl???? Uh huh...that's what i thought...succer is for little european girls...you just don't want to get kicked in the face by one...american FOOTBALL...the real football would take one of them soccer players and snap them in two:Poke: :D Plus socker is freakin boring:eek:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I believe more people watch the World Cup worldwide than watch the Superbowl - anyone know for sure?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Correct. But you don't even need the real numbers to know that. You just need to be aware that Greenie thinks the opposite is true.:D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point, forgot about that as a fact proving kinda thing.

9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

a guy can hope can't he! found this in trying to see how the two compare with no luck...

sorta interesting

They're just never satisfied...it seems like every commercial i watch today...when there is someone acting like an idiot/child/etc it's always the guy playing that role:rolleyes:

10. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

a guy can hope can't he! found this in trying to see how the two compare with no luck...

sorta interesting

They're just never satisfied...it seems like every commercial i watch today...when there is someone acting like an idiot/child/etc it's always the guy playing that role:rolleyes:

11. cinderella

cinderella Guest

Greenie, darlin', please pick a spelling and stick with it? Thanks. :D

12. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

I am not a soccer fan. In fact, for reasons based on the way things were in Brooklyn, NY when I was growing up, I dispised it.

Well, a few years back, the World Cup had a round in the Detroit area. My employer had some tickets so I went.

WHOA1!:wow: The game is amazing. I thought I'd be bored to tears or have trouble making it through a game that had no timeouts. Wrong!

The typical soccer game from Europe or wherever that we might catch on t.v., is nowhere the same level of skill and play. It'd be like broadcasting a "AA" or "AAA" baseball game overseas. Yeah, it's professional baseball. But it's a far cry from the MLB's World Series.

13. joehayes101

joehayes101 Well-Known Member

Give me a cheap American Beer and the Superbowl anyday over that warm european sludge and soccer.

PS - I think it'll be the Lions this year in Superbowl

14. Hyperdyne

The game you were talking about was England vs. Argentina..

If you want to have a clue on how improtant it is... @ world cups ago a brazilian player accidentally knocked a ball in his own goal, thus scoring for the other team. 2 weeks later he was murdered in Sao Paolo... Whens the last time you saw any NFL QB get even a smack for throwing an interception.

And if you think American football is tough Greenie, I'll invite you to my next Rubgy match...

15. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Tou che' ...but i'm game...i miss the old glory days of high school football...and college baseball was all work and just boring...

When's the next rugby match?:D

16. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Uhhh...:Poke: Only the Brits drink beer at room temp. The rest of Europe (and the world) chills beer.

Damn ugly Americans ;)

Hyper: That may be. There were 2 games at the Silverdome that day. I only recall one of the nations was Poland.

H.

17. Hyperdyne

to Mid Ohio.. Last time I went I found some hooligans and played sevens. Remember the rules.. Full contact, there is no blocking, no huddles unless a penalty is assessed and there ar no pads allowed..

I'll bring my ball to to Mid Ohio.. Last time I went I found some hooligans and played sevens. Remember the rules.. Full contact, there is no blocking, no huddles unless a penalty is assessed and there are no pads allowed..

18. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

Back to the original point.....

In the midst of all my coding, SQL database, and email windows there is now a live feed running on the England/Portugal game.

I have to say... pretty darn cool.

England just scored in "double over-time" to re-tie it up with less than a minute to go......

19. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

yea, but, is there any cricket on?:Poke:

20. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

Here you are poking fun and they (England) just lost to a team whose country most people can't find on a map.....

:D :D :D