1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida/Alabama Vacation Houses

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

St George Island. They don't have a dog policy.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good to know!

3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

There's several actually. I hope he makes damn sure he shows up at the right one's house. :crackup:

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

My favorite is Grayton Beach (30A) due to beach/water quality. Kinda close to Destin though.

Dragginass likes this.
  5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Interesting. I had no idea there are good/bad spots there. I always look at buying cheap land there on the panhandle is its actually very reasonably priced. But its probably right where that river lets out. I guess I better go visit before purchasing some sight-unseen.

We do have our share of polution though. Being right next to the border of another country that doesnt have sufficient sewage treatment, it just flows right into our beaches causing them to close weeks at a time due to bacteria. Nothing ever changes.. State says its a federal problem, government says its a state problem. Cots millions of dollars for them to bicker about it for 20 years and point fingers. If you are out on a boat it doesnt matter but definitely sucks for beach goers.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Tell the boss to take your leash off. They might let you on the beach.

rd400racer and Sabre699 like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't want to go on the beach, I want the bar next to the beach. Occasionally however it'd be fun to have her take the 4 legged critters :D

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Razr likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My parents are in Fort Myers and call me a few times a week telling me it's low 80s and sunny right now. I'm in a new job where I can be 100% remote if I wanted so was actually perusing houses in their development down there after a few cocktails.

ducnut likes this.
  10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Panama City to Pensacola is probably all clear water. Anywhere a major river feeds in is going to be more turbid. The beaches on St George are phenomenal though and uncrowded. However the big panhandle beach towns are crowded as hell. Typically you have to reserve and rent chairs and an umbrella at Rosemary Beach for example. And the beach is packed there. Also FL has said that land owners own up to (I'm pretty sure) high tide line. Some are OK with people on "their" beach, others are really aggressive about keeping people off their beach.

Grayton Beach has state parks on both sides of it. If I could buy a house down there it would probably be in Grayton. Older and smaller properties, no mega beach mansions. Much less crowded.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Here's a question for you lads....which areas of FL are generally the safest from the perspective of hurricane vulnerability?

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Ohio :D

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I think the guy who owns http://www.whisperingpinesofcapesanblas.com/
    is an ex Wera racer, or maybe it was his son.
    Stayed there once years ago before I ever raced. St Joseph Bay is one of the few in Florida not fed by fresh water and its super clear. There's some great snorkeling spots there and you can even catch some scallops.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I'm in Hamilton Co. and it's mid-way above the Florida penninsula about equi-distant from both coasts and we can get pounded.