1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The Right is notoriously complacent in communicating with the public. They've sat by for years and let the left yell and scream and lie and cheat. DT is the first person on the right to dish it out instead of taking it. If they have any hope of surviving, the rest of the Republicans will speak up and do it too.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

A lot of people look good until the campaign actually starts. Once you have to talk on issues to differing groups and be under the microscope things change. For instance Oprey has said a decent amount of racist things the last few years. Also she has not really outlined any policies. Right now she is just a blank slate that people know and project unto.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Doesn’t matter. The liberal Dems can spout off all the racist things they want to and not receive any scrutiny. They also don’t need any substance in order to pander to their voting base. I candidate could take the stage and simply drool on the mike and the liberals would embrace it as enlightening. Just look at all the elitist higher “educated” types, same dynamic.

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

No sir. That microscope thing only applies to nobodies.

I suggest that she is probably the most "known" product on earth. A democrat's policies are almost always the same, no matter where you go. From Manchin to Waters, the divide is just not that big. But her policies do not matter anyway because she is the ultimate cult of personality. She's weighed in on everything from "My cousin slept with my husband, and I'm ok with that" to "Why all bigots wear white skin". She is a well known quantity to the voting block that MATTERS. This voting block is just primed and ready to look for a reason to turn their conservative-ish eyes away from Trump, and Oprey is the reason.

Oprey racist or said racist things? As Mr. G stated, that is only a one way street, and she has the right of way.

5. sheepofblue

I politely disagree with you both. While much of the press would guard a democrat who was OD'ing black men (for real) there is a LOT more sources of information than there used to be.

Also while she is 'known' it is in the same way that Colin Powell was. He was the conservative darling that everyone wanted on the ballot due to military record, public persona and if you are honest skin pigment. Of course when things progressed a little and he actually talked about political positions such as being anti-2nd amendment... The same would happen with Oprah to some degree.

Peter Hively likes this.
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Powell is an interesting case. If he ran as a D, I think that he would do well. He would get a lot of middle of the road dems. You sort of have to be anti 2nd if you are to survive as a D today. Not sure that he would do that well among the communist portion of the party though. No way he could make it in another party because he just doesn't fit.

I would say that there is a lot more sources of propaganda these days and I would suspect that the left can control that pretty well.

7. sheepofblue

Pelosi and Schumer got a bit carried away with the botox LOL Blinking is fine but otherwise they are frozen. They look a bit cartoonish. Then they claimed democrats want border security :crackup:

8. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Why no mention from the two democrats about those that recently died at the hands of illegals?

K51000 and galloway840 like this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Excellent little anecdote by someone on the "front lines". Sums up the issue perfectly...

COLUMBUS, N.M. — Just minutes from the border in rural New Mexico, the Borderland Cafe in the village of Columbus serves burritos and pizza to local residents, Border Patrol agents and visitors from other parts of the country seeking a glimpse of life on the frontier. The motto painted on the wall proclaims “Life is good in the Borderland.”

“This is the sleepiest little town you could think of,” said Adriana Zizumbo, 31, who was raised in Columbus and owns the cafe with her husband. “The only crisis we’re facing here is a shortage of labor. Fewer people cross the border to work than before, and Americans don’t want to get their hands dirty doing hard work.”

President Trump has shut down part of the government over border security and his plan to build a wall along the border with Mexico, and in a prime-time speech on Tuesday night he painted a bleak picture of life in towns like Columbus.

He said border residents were suffering through a “humanitarian crisis,” and he described a landscape scarred by violence and prowled by “vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs.” But that is not how Ms. Zizumbo sees it. People in Columbus, she said, opposed the idea of a wall by about a “90-to-10 margin.”

“Enough about the wall already,” she said. “We have other problems here that need fixing.”

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

This morning, MSNBC said there is a crisis or two. The first being that the press was duped by televising the President for 10 minutes. They will never recover from that. The second is that the crisis is Trump, that he should not be president and they can't believe that he won.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/us/border-wall-crisis-mexico-usa.html

“Listen, we need security and a wall will provide that security,” said Mr. Johnson, 43, whose family-owned onion and chile farm sits along a stretch of the border. “I’m 100 percent for the wall. Trump is bold in pushing for it.”

14. condon66

condon66 Member well known

So because her burrito sales are down illegal immigration should be swept under the rug and ignored? Her burrito sales are more of an issue than the billions of dollars spent on dealing with and taking care of these people? I guess I just can't see it the way you do. And how many of those people opposing a wall in that town are legal citizens? I could ask 100 illegal immigrants if they oppose a wall and how many do you think will say yes? The 90/10 comment doesn't mean jack shit.

sheepofblue and K51000 like this.
  15. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

The takeaway is, there will be opinions for and against by both people that live right on the border and also people who live nowhere near the border. Shouldn't really be a surprise!

Britt and rd400racer like this.
  16. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Error post

17. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Who is ignoring it? In the 8 years before Trump we showed over a 50% decrease in illegal alien apprehensions along our southern border.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has been receiving budget increases over the last 15+ years. The currently proposed budget had 100% CBP funding by both parties.

18. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

+1

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This taco shop will prolly get better clientele w/o the illegals present in the community. Period.
    And if she makes less money 'til/if then...her business plan (likely based on a large, illegal customer flow) is no longer viable. She needs to see where any blame belongs.

sheepofblue likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You don't understand, Trump is responsible for every problem that exists, either directly or
    by proxy. And everything he does and says is wrong.

Is that so difficult to understand?