1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of Flying

Discussion in 'General' started by Dieselboy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. I have some travel coming up and was wondering if anyone has advice on dealing with a fear of flying. I'll have Xanax available, but I'm not sure how much it will help. The flights are on the short side (PHL to IND) about 2 hours.

It's become crippling as I've had to pass up some awesome travel opportunities my work as offered. I'd love to travel, just prefer to be on the ground.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

How do you go on vacations....like real ones?

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Board the plane with this simple thought in your head. Far less planes fall out of the sky in a year than there are car accidents on a single interstate in 24 hours.

Which part of it scares you. The lack of control?

4. Venom51

What's a vacation?

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Or, ponder that at terminal velocity of a freefalling human it only takes three minutes & twenty seconds to fall 35000 feet.

:Poke::Poke:

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

last weekend was :up: :p

Attached Files:

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I like the cell phone holder on the left:up:

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I hate flying, but I don't worry about crashing.
    Just read up on the stats.
    If it is crippling, consult a therapist.
    No big deal if you feel nervous, but you shouldn't feel crippled.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I don't have a fear of flying, but I do get claustrophobic, I just tell myself if everyone else can handle it, so can I.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My only advice is fight through it. It's likely not the plane or the height you're afraid of. It's the "what if's" that you're thinking of. Focus on the moment and visualize the future as you waltzing off that mofo on the other end. I used to be deathly, cripplingly afraid of heights. Bridges, escalators, even stairs. So I became a rigger and faced it head on. You can do it man. It helps to be stubborn about it. :D I'm sure you've done other stuff in life that was tough and you're still here.

11. Venom51

I was trying to help for once. Damn you! :D

12. gmann750

gmann750 Well-Known Member

Nut up man, your times up when it's up, if you are meant to die on a airliner with a bunch germs and screaming kids so be it... It is what it is.

13. In Your Corner

I had to read that twice.
    Sorry.

14. Venom51

I thought vacations were supposed to be relaxing. I doubt hearing the word "like" every third word from a group of 20 year imbeciles qualifies as relaxing.

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have horrible claustrophobia, so whenever I've had to get an MRI they prescribe me a 20mg Valium. Works every time.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I should have specified "Production Rigger". Ah what's tha use lol.

17. Venom51

Thank goodness that rigging isn't up long enough for a spider to take residence. I'd hate to see you jump to your near death. You won't be lucky enough to die you'd just be really fucked up. :D

18. In Your Corner

Hey, you left yourself open.
    I can't ignore the easy kill.

19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

depending upon what your fear is, there are different things that might help you. just in general, I use good ear buds to cancel out the sounds when flying. helps a lot with just zoning out and putting better things in your mind (like music). I've got some etymotic earbuds, but just about any decent headphones might help a bit. Think positive, and think about different things. if you are claustrophobic, get a window seat, pay a bit extra for exit row seat (more leg room), etc.

if it's a later afternoon flight, have a beer or two before you fly to help take the edge off. morning flight- Baileys. :) fly with someone you know and like to have someone to talk to instead of just letting your mind wander. wear comfortable clothes, loose fitting shoes, don't drag on a bunch of carry on stuff. get the latest issue of road racing world to read, or play games on the phone/laptop/ipad. I find sudoku eats the time on most of my flights.

just some ideas..

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

if its the movement of the plane,then make sure its not a small plane like a Dash 8,or something like that.You will feel every bit of turbulence or birdfart compared to a larger aircraft.Otherwise,knock back a couple of Molsons and be on your way!!! I hate the small aircraft for commuting,its the lack of control,like being in the back seat of a car,that does me in.