1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance Double Header at VIR

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by aod99, Sep 2, 2001.

1. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Memphis was rained out. Accolades to WERA for canceling the round due to the wet VHT on the drag strip.

I propose one of the following (Track, time, WERA, corner workers, medical crews permitting)

We run two distinct rounds of the endurance series at VIR in September on the same weekend.

The options (as I see it) would be:

Memphis make up round (4-hrs) on friday.
    Rausch Creek make up round (6-hr)on saturday.

Two four hours on Saturday (9am-1pm) (2pm-6pm)

3. Two four hours on Saturday 12-4:00pm and 6:00pm-10:00pm.

The reason to run two shorter races rather than one longer one is to:

Increase the number of rounds (and points)
    Help WERA get back out of the hole for Memphis rain out.
    Let the teams get a crack at winning the contingency money from Memphis.

I spoke to lots of team owners at Memphis about this idea and got the "Hell Yes" from:

Chaos
    Vesrah
    Chicago
    AOD
    NOTB
    Pennzoil
    Lizards
    J & J

Those were all the people I could find...

2. Mark 86

Mark 86 Active Member

I think that you have come up with a good idea on this. I opt to go with either option 1 for the reason of if a team with only one bike has a problem then that will give them plenty of time to rebuild or repair the bike for the second race.
    But if time is the problem then I would go for opton 3 and lets put on the lights and have some fun!!!!!

3. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Besides medical and corner staffing, there's one more thing to consider: Insurance. Hate to say that but it is a necessity. I have no idea what the added costs are for 3 days of competition or night racing.

Back to Sam's thoughts-

Door #1 -
    As I understand the situation, VIR is running the practice day on Friday. IMHO, it would take some negotiating (read money) to get it done on Friday.

But...
    If the Endurance is run Friday, I'd think the major drawback is corner staffing. We ran the Sportsman race in August with minimal corner staffing. We were very lucky.

Door #2
    I can hear the whining from the masses who want to do the sprints regarding lack of practice on Saturday. Remember, this is now a combined WNC/Sportsman event.

But...
    To papraphase JU... Races race, whiners whine.

Door #3
    Night racing! WOOHOO! Sounds great!

BUT...
    I recall some BBS discussion a short while back about a 24 Hour at VIR. Sean seemed negative about it, given the narrowness of the track in some areas.

Just my thoughts. I can live with any of the 3 suggestions. It's not my arm that has to be twisted

------------------
    George
    THE Rain Director

[This message has been edited by Rain Director (edited 09-03-2001).]

4. 13x

13x 13x.com

How about Monday at VIR?

5. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

I like Sam's idea, but 2 3HR races instead of 2 4HR.I dont see the time available for 2 4HR races.With the same subject online would riders that were entered for Memphis sprint Nationals get maybe double points at VIR on Sun.(consideration for making the trip like Road A back in 1999?)

6. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

Count me in as a corner worker for the endurance stuff.....turn one would be preferable, and I'll be bringing the mountain bike. I can even do it if the powers that be decide to use Friday or Monday. Screw work; I'll stay for the race! I get way too much vacation time anyway.

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I know Sam mentioned our names already, but just to add a bit here...

I think the whole idea is a great one and iff we were to agree with a night deal, great, but we need to know by this week due to the fact the teams need to get prepared for applying lights to their machines. Using stock stuff may not be an option and if we wait and say night race with only four days before the event, that screws teams in ordering stuff for their machines. Plus, we should get an answer so racers can pull their money for a double $ spent weekend.

Just some quick thoughts. I also want to add that Sean & Evelyn did a great job of standing up there and answering questions when they knew that they were going to get some flak. Unlike cry baby Bargy, they didn't hide when the racers under the stress of being unsure and worried about their and their fellow riders' safety, started to flare their opinons. Sean & Evelyn did the right thing and the Lizards applaud you.

Now that I buttered you up Sean, answer, now, damnit. Just kidding!

8. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Try for plan 1 but if it isn't practical, expert 35's plan is fairer than plan 2 but three hours is kind of short. Night racing would be totally cool, but it is pretty short notice. some sort of bonus for the teams that got screwed at memphis would be nice.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, here's the latest and greatest. We are going with the double round at VIR, the rub is in the execution of it all so I need some input.

Right now I have a couple of scheduling ideas I'd like osme input so here goes. First, night racing is out for this year sorry so no suggestions of that sort. Second, I really, really, really want to get some sprint practice in on Saturday, this helps all the teams as well as the sprint riders. I would like ot keep the Endurance only practice however if anything needs to go to make more lunch time that should be it since all the team will be able to get out in the sprint practice. So, keeping all that in mind here is the first version of the tentative Saturday Schedule...

8am-9:30am Sprint Practice (6 groups)
    9:30am-10am Endurance Only Practice
    10am-10:30am Brunch Break
    10:30am-2pm Race 1
    2pm-2:30pm Break
    2:30pm-6pm Race 2

6pm will be about the limit of daylight and cornerowrkers so we really can't run later.

10. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I don't see any problems with that. RU still thinking about making one of them double points for VOMNAM? I wish we could keep all of this on the endurance site...

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll lock the other threads, that should move things over here.

Yes we are still considering it but nothing firm yet.

12. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Apart from the points issue the above schedule raises another question. Entry cost. Now instead of one (1) 6-hour race ($250) teams will have to enter two (2) 3 1/2-hour races ($?? each). Will you run each race for the ultra-low cost of $125 including the free IGIA Sportswatch?

Tire $$ really isn't an issue since most teams will only need an additional front (maybe).

How about instead of double points you reward the Memphis hard-luckers with a very low entry fee for the second race.

I can also see a huge problem (read whining) arising when a team that was at Memphis crashes in the first race and can't make their double points round.

Reducing the entry fee for the second races eliminates that scenario.

[This message has been edited by rfknight (edited 09-04-2001).]

13. LMR

LMR New Member

Hey Mongo,
    What about the possibility of the 4 hr. make up round for Memphis on Friday afternoon at VIR and the regular 6 hr. on Saturday. If these rounds are shortened, that will only hurt the outcome for some teams, since the points are awarded on mileage and if there is a problem for a team in the first race then they might have a chance to make repairs over night and not wear everyone out.

14. 13x

13x 13x.com

I, for one, love any talk of two races at VIR. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I don't care. Cost is not an issue, as we would have to spend the cash anyway.

As far as scheduling:

I don't know if it will be feasible to get six rounds of practice off at 8 am. I don’t think I’ve ever seen practice start at 8am. [​IMG]

And it would be better to have more than a 30 min break between races for the teams that only have one bike.

If no one objects why don’t we skip the endurance practice? Most of the endurance teams will be there on Friday anyway.

Jim (practice? we don't need no stinking practice) Williams
    AOD

[This message has been edited by 13x (edited 09-04-2001).]

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is that Friday is the tracks day not ours and they already have a riders school scheduled.

As for the extra money - the makup race is really for the Memphis teams more than anything and they will all have a credit for their Memphis entries to use for the second fee. Other teams can choose to run or not run just as they chose to run or not run Memphis in the first place. As for the teams with one bike - it's really not a lot different than running one long race with one bike. Yes there is more on the line points wise but then again the potential gains are much higher with the purse and contingency. Those who are worried need to run a points gathering first race and try harder in race 2. The vast majority of the teams going for a championship either have or can get a backup bike for that weekend (to be brutally honest, you shouldn't really expect to chase an Endurance Championship with only one bike anyway - if you have only one bike you are doing this for fun more than anything).

I know it will be harder on some teams but we feel that the upsides outweight the downsides. The shortened races will be less mileage points but the majority of points come from finishing position. For example only 1/3 of Vesrah's points at the previous VIR came from mileage, 2/3 were the finishing points.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thank you Jim, anyone else?

17. dave_432

dave_432 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having 2 races on 2 separate days, but don't see that happening with Friday practice and Sunday sprints. So the 2 races on Saturday sounds good.

Skip the endurance practice Saturday morning if you need the time, and cancel the Thursday practice too so we have time to park our rigs.

-Dave

18. Robby Card

Robby Card Well-Known Member

I like the two race deal. I also would vote for scrapping endurance practice and giving us a longer break in between races. The smaller teams will need the extra time for tire changes, bike prep, lunch, etc... 30 minutes would make it real tough for us to be ready to grid for the second race.

19. melissa

melissa Sir

2 races on Saturday - YES! Woo hoo!

endurance practice - it sounds like dropping it is the best solution, so that's okay

double points - fine with me

no night race? waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

<sniff>

20. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

How about a 3 and 5 hour(or Vice Versa)?

8:00am-9:00am (3 rounds Practice
    [LW Novice & Expert],
    [MW & HW Novice],
    [MW & HW Expert])
    9:30-12:30 Race 1 (Memphis Makeup)
    1:00-6:00 Race 2 (VIR)

This way, the ones that wanted to do a six hour, will only get cut 1 hour, the Memphis folks only get cut one hour, and the Sprinters still get a little Saturday practice.