1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance Double Header at VIR

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by aod99, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nuking sprint practice altogether was my orginal thought but I'm concerned about getting the sprint riders who cna't afford to come out Friday enough time on the track, especially those that haven't been there before. Also trying to keep that Big Mac thing going since we always run a sprint practice on Saturday.

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Considering that Putnam is that same weekend, I'm going to suppose that very few people will make the trek from West of Interstate 81.

There will be an influx of AMA folks, but I hope they are not the one's you are concerned about. They can afford the Friday session.

Further, if a Sportsman sprinter knows that they're getting limited practice on Sat, and couldn't afford Friday, they'll probably NOT bother to arrive until Sat afternoon, and save the hotel fees for Friday night as well.

Have I poked enough holes yet. [​IMG]

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. There are lots of riders east of 81 - I expect a decent influx of SE riders prepping for the AMA race.

We still have quite a few riders that drive all night Friday after work, practice Saturday, sleep Saturday afternoon, and race Sunday. We have National Sprints on Sunday as well as the Sportsman which adds in another dimension to the riders that will be there.

Nuking the Endurance only practice actually works best since it still gives us practice for everyone and frees another half an hour which I'll split between lunch and the break.

4. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

3/5! 3/5! 3/5! 3/5!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Since this was on the other thread, is it safe to assume you're shooting for two four hours?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

2 @ 3.5 each.

7. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

Sean, what about a 2-Hour and a 5-hour Endurance on Saturday. Would that meet your criteria in getting the endurances in?

2 hours would be most beneficial to the Endurance teams and sprint riders(bike set up for the lack of morning practice). I am sure that most sprint riders would love to have a 2-hour endurance that would not completely deteriorate their sprint bikes and would give them some really good track time, while at the same time you are completing your endurance rounds. The 5-hour then would maximize the rest of the day after the break in-between and would really let the other serious endurance teams focus on the endurance part!

Another Option

[This message has been edited by PPR (edited 09-05-2001).]

8. STORMIN27

STORMIN27 Active Member

Hey Mongo,
    Am I reading this correctly. You're trying to get in two endurance races with two entry fees, two seperate points races and two seperate contingency races.
    Will there be any doubling of points or contingency for sprints or another sprint race. If not, please explain!!

9. aod99

aod99 Administrator

2 3.5 hours is fine by me.

We like longer races (more endurance you know) but 2 * 3.5 will be great.

Sam
    AOD

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ummm, if you read the answer to your same question in the other thread you will see that we will double the sprint points at VIR only for those riders entered at Memphis. We cannot find a way to double the sprints or contingency money sorry.

11. nancy junge

nancy junge Vesrah Suzuki

I have two areas of concern with having less than an hour between races.

1. It is unfair to the smaller teams who may need to make major repairs (or even minor upkeep)to their bikes in between the races.

2. There is not enough time for the results from the first race to be printed up, posted, and have the full 30 minute protest period before the second race starts. Also, will you be able to refigure the overall points and come up with the new starting grid in that short amount of time. If not, does everyone agree to use the grid from the first race regardless where your team should be gridded following that race.

Mark's solution to this is to just forget about sprint practice altogether on Saturday.

My solution, can't we put the sprint practice session in between the two endurance races along with the lunch break? Sprints will still get practice, endurance teams will get more time to prepare for the second race.

I also want to make sure I understand something. A couple people have used the term "double" points. There will be no endurance points "doubled" this weekend right? There is going to be two separate races, scored separately, using the same points scale as usual, as if they occurred on two separate weekends. Am I correct?

12. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I hope that having two endurance races eliminates a "double points" situation.

It has been argued that when sprint races have been cancelled in the past then double points were awarded at the following round. But these double points offerings were for all riders involved not exclusively for those who were "at" the cancelled event.

13. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

The whole point of the double points was to 'reward' the teams that showed up at Memphis. Instead of limiting entries to only teams who were at Memphis (thus limiting WERA's income), any team can enter the so-called make up round for Memphis and those teams who were actually at Memphis will be eligible for double points in the make up race. In effect, the teams who were at Memphis will be going after 3 rounds worth of points at VIR.

I think its fair since some teams expended considerable resources to be at Memphis and didn't get to race.

[This message has been edited by Due North (edited 09-05-2001).]

14. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

We like the 3.5 x 2 rounds idea as well. I wouldn't recomend shorter (Gator) because this is an endurance series - not a sprint series. With 2 hours, pit stops aren't too much a factor. Plus, like AOD, we like longer, but 3.5 is the minimum.

Is the idea for one of the rounds being a double points for those teams that entered at Memphis?? I think the tough part is for the teams that made the trek, but didn't sign up because the rain came. How is it fair to them? I guess we could quiz them.

I kinda like Nancy's idea about either eliminating sprint practice in the morning and do it between the races - this elimination will free up the morning and allow for an earlier start to race #1 and still get a 30 min. endurance only practice in. Between races, you could shorten the sprint practices which will give the Sunday guys some track time and allow the endurance teams that either need to do some minor set-ups or the teams that are only running one race to get a little track time. This also would also allow for minor repairs for those teams with one bike.

15. melissa

melissa Sir

I also like the idea of the practice moved between the races, but that really depends upon the cornerworkers. It sounds like it doesn't give the cornerworkers enough time to have lunch. I don't have a better suggestion other than eliminating practice altogether on Saturday, but I agree that an hour between the races is ideal for scoring and points, and for those teams that need to make repairs or mount tires.

Definitely 2x3.5 is good, anything shorter than that is too short.

16. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I'm sorry everyone was rained out at Memphis but the idea of double points in a make up race just for those who were rained out is ludicrous. Life isn't fair and this type of 'reward' is wholly against the spirit of racing.

A make up race is just that; a "make up" race.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See now, this is the kind of stuff I've been hoping for - I really like the practice in between thing - one question I have is how much practice do you all need, them how much of a break before the first race?

If we can do 1/2 hour Endurance pract, then half hour off, we can start race 1 at 9am, break from 12:30-3pm, (1hr for lunch, 1.5 for practice), race 3pm-6:30pm.

For this to work I do have to fine out if the track will let us run til 6:30 (I know we did at the Cycle Jam but I can't remember if we got in trouble or not).

18. tingle74

tingle74 Well-Known Member

Hey Sean will we still get two practice rounds on Sunday?

19. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

Sorry if you feel that the compensation doesn't meet your expectations but Mongo has a hard time trying to please all of his customers and make this world a big happy track. [​IMG] Texracer, gave me a number which has some good legal advice 1-888-WET-TRACK and it seemed to help, so try their sister company 1-888-NOT-FAIR for other means of legal help.
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by PPR (edited 09-06-2001).]

20. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I think you forget that you were the one crying and whining to begin with.

Please name another instance in any other racing organization where points were given out for a race that never happened.

I'll state this again. Double points or not, it should not affect our overall points standing. We have nothing to gain or lose if double points are awarded but you are asking to get something for nothing.