1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance Double Header at VIR

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by aod99, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Sounds like we're in. I like the 3 hour/5 hour suggestion, though.

2. aod99

aod99 Administrator

You know, This might be cool enough to do next year at the cycle jam. Full grids, two races...it could be really neat.

I personally wasn't cleaning the track in Memphis because I had seen the weather and thought that the rain would begin again momentarily. It did. I have enough sisyphean tasks in my life.

3. 2002

Las Vegas (New Old Track)
    No Problem (instead of TWS, face it, TWS needs some TLC)
    Putnam
    Gingerman or Grattan
    Mid-Ohio with Fasttrax (instead of Portland with OMRRA)
    Summit Point
    VIR (double header at Cycle Jam, one at night)
    Talladega
    Road Atlanta (GNF)

All good tracks, all weather.

Sam
    AOD

3. blazecyc@mindspring.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Team Chaos is good to go on idea for
    2 races from 10:30-6:00 and points lay out
    for that weekend. We ready.

4. Mark 86

Mark 86 Active Member

It really doesn't matter to me, either way!! But it would be really kewl to do the 3 hr/5 hr. I would really be stoked about that. YEAH, YEAH!!!!!!!!

Let's go racing!!!!!!

Mark
    Team Chaos!!!!!!

5. Mark 86

Mark 86 Active Member

And also I would be game to skip the Endurance practice on Sat. am For a larger break between races!!

Good thinking Shawn, I knew you had it in ya!!!!!!!! Or did someone tell you to say that?????

6. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

Sean
    run one endurance on sat and some sprints
    run the other on sunday and the rest of the sprints
    Ricky

7. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

I agree with the longer break (1 HR )and no End. practice,thats what the practice day is for.And considering 3Hr as uposed to 3 1/2,Time being a tight factor.

8. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

rfknight
    do you need a rider at one of the rounds at vir? [​IMG]or for that matter.does anybody need a rider?

9. Faynisha

Faynisha Well-Known Member

8:00am-8:15am Endurance Practice
    This gives some practice for those who want it. It will also give more time before the Endurance race.
    8:15am-9:45am Sprint Practice
    6 groups 15 minutes each
    9:45am-10:30am Break
    The corner workers can barely make it in and back out in 30 minutes it is a long track and they are not allowed to drive on course. It takes taxi time to get them.
    10:30am-1:30p.m. Race 1
    Memphis rain out.
    1:30pm-2:15pm Break
    2:15pm-6:15 Race 2
    The corner workers will hold out 15 more minutes if they get the extra break time.

Just my suggestion.

10. Skuffknee

Skuffknee Stranger in a strand land

What about the cost Sean? We had planned on just going to VIR (skipping Mempis)to run the 6 hr($250), but now this buget minded team might not make the 8 hr drive to pay two entry fees($500?) for 2 more hrs of racing. I think that if you reduce the fees you will more than get your money back from Mempis becouse there will be more racers at VIR than were in TN. So if the price is right I think they will want to run both races.

Skuffknee Lee, AKA: Buget Racer

11. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Count us in for the killing of the endurance practice. Only if the teams with endurance only can get a practice for both small bore and big bore.

I REALLY, REALLY like Sam's schedule for 2002.

I like the idea of 3hr/5hr. But, will definately be in for the 4/4. No go on Friday and Saturday? Just askin'.

Sean, you da man.

12. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Here's a response to Due North from the General posts-

Dude, I was sitting on my ASS because I knew that the idea of drying off that track was fruitless. Mark Junge's dad is a walking weather center and anyone with half a brain could see that it was going to rain.

The whole Ed Bargy thing was just a show of pure childness. This guy wants to be respected and let eveyone know that he is a great guy, but to throw a fit by slamming your door, bitchin' and then doing a big burnout in a fit of anger is not the way to get respect. It's called throwing a propane tank into a burning room. That's what it did to an already nervous crowd.

As far as the whole 1:40 lap times - I recorded a handful of 1:35 - 1:40 laps on some and most of the riders in Friday's practice and realized that a 1:09 - 1:10 was average there considering the easier back section. That's about 30 - 40 seconds off dry pace when it should be more like 10 - 15 at worst. All I am saying is that it goes to show that the pace was being killed by the unsafeness of the front straight.

Waving yellow for the whole front straight? Great, but how about being able to pass backmarkers at a reasonable pace? I have never been docked or black flagged when coming up on a back marker at speed and slowly passing them. Of course, I slow, but if I slow to the back marker's speed, I would butth#@! them. You think that is the answer now?

Just remeber, you are the one who bitched about driving so far and not racing because a select few "ruined" it for you. I am one of those party poopers...

13. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Ricky,

Right now I don't need one (which is unfortunate because I'd really like for you to ride with us). There'll be four of us at VIR. If we were doing the two races on different days I would say yes. Let me see how the schedule shakes out as far as the race lengths are concerned.

I'll give you a call tonight. Tom gave me your number.

Rich

14. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Sam:

You wrote
    DO NOT MISQUOTE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN. What I said was:
    Big difference!!!! My 'feelings' came from the general attitudes of my experiences at Memphis. Right or wrong that's the impression that I got.

I did not call you an elitist - I am not going to get in to childish name calling (I prefer pointless bickering [​IMG] ). I wrote that the suggestion that the opinions of top ranked teams should carry more weight than the opinions of lower ranked teams (something that the AMA does quite well with the factories and the privateers) strikes of elitism.

Lizard: My suggestion was that it would be better to have 1200 feet of a 5000 foot front straight as a no passing zone rather than go home without racing. I found on the Friday that once off the VHT the straight was wet but ridable.

Anybody with a brain heard Sean say that if we could get 5 minutes/2 minutes/1 lap of racing in - it would be called and classified for contingency/purse purposes. That would have been much better than going home with nothing. But apparently a bunch of people knew better and decided that they would not help - not matter what the potential upside was. Instead, they would rather sit around and piss off those that could at least say they did everything they could to try and get this race off.

Time to stop screwing around with Memphis - hopefully we'll never see that place again. Time to look forward to VIR.

[This message has been edited by Due North (edited 09-05-2001).]

15. 13x

13x 13x.com

Ok, ok. Let's agree to disagree and be done with Memphis. We are all disappointed with the way things worked out.

Let’s focus on VIR and get back to having a great time. And what ever Sean decides for the VIR, make sure it benefits ME the most.

[​IMG]

Jim
    AOD

[This message has been edited by 13x (edited 09-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 13x (edited 09-05-2001).]

16. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

17. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

I don't see a need for a long break between races.

Since most riders go for an hour, the rider that finished the previous race(given a team of 2) will have ~1.5 hours before having to ride again.

Most folks have spare rims, so the tires will be mounted. Just swap them during that half hour break and get to the grid.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like it in principle but we can't do it, the potential for very large practice groups with the combined event is too great so we have to run the 6 group layout.

19. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Darn. Rethink the importance of the practice, considering folks can go on Friday and then again Sunday morning.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Too big of a change to do at this late date. Endurance teams are much more flexible with this kind of thing that the sprint riders.