1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Employees are not to drive motorcycles on official company business."

Discussion in 'General' started by ChuckS, Sep 25, 2008.

1. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The key isn't whether or not the company owns the vehicle. The key is the company owns the employee as long as the employee is on the clock.

OSHA sees it that way and so do the Worker's Comp laws. Both of which affect a company's competitiveness and bottom line(ie, $$$).

When I was racing and serving as Crew Chief in the WERA Endurance season I had an agreement with my company(the President in particular) that I didn't have to burn vacation to go to the races if I displayed the company logos(on the bike) and I had my cellphone and laptop computer with me during the weekdays. AND I was not to fill out my timesheet until I returned uninjured. Had I been "one the clock" during one of the races that they were sponsoring me in and crashed it could be deemed work related injuries that would go against our OSHA rates and our Worker's Comp.

Totally different scenario than the original discussion but I just wanted to give some Worker's Comp insite.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. sdg

sdg *

I see the point. Its pretty freakin stupid, though.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It's stupid because you are thinking like a motorcycle enthusiast. ;)

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The primary issue is workers comp insurance. So long as it can be deemed a work related injury, it is compensable under OSHA. Traveling to and from a customer falls under that ruling. Motorcycle accidents almost always wind up with a flashy box ride. $$$

The other issue is motorcycles are usually totaled after most accidents if the frame is scratched. So, there's the other issue.