1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Employees are not to drive motorcycles on official company business."

Discussion in 'General' started by ChuckS, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

So our travel policy has been revised....

· Employees are not to drive motorcycles on official company business. When attending business in which mileage will be reimbursed or which a rental car will be purchased ***** will not permit the use of a motorcycle. Under no circumstances will a motorcycle be reimbursed as a rental vehicle under the travel policy.

So I understand them not wanting me to rent a motorcycle when on a business trip, but if I have to visit a supplier, I can't ride my bike instead of driving my truck? Mileage reimbursement is WAY better at 45 mpg than 15 mpg.

Fine. They can pay for a rental car if they want me to go anywhere.

Risk / liability is the reason I was given when I asked.

Sucks.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Same here.

3. sdg

sdg *

I get them not allowing you to rent a cycle.

How can they restrict your choice of personal vehicle?

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Chuck- send it to the AMA. Try to get something uselful out of them for your membership fees...
    (rotsa ruck)...

5. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

That's BS. You should quit in protest.

6. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Go to work for Harley or Buell. Those guys don't go anywhere in 4 wheels unless absolutely necessary. ;)

7. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Hell, try working at a bike dealer that won't allow you to ride bikes. I love my shop, don't get me wrong, but dayum!!!!

8. Honda Fairings

Honda Fairings McBiker

Every single citizen has the right to have his own transportation, not necesarily a car. Honda Fairings

9. Carbon Can Kat

Carbon Can Kat Well-Known Member

Most companies can restrict pretty much whatever they want on company property within reason. They can restrict what you do on their time and how you do it. If they deem that motorcycles, for whatever reason, do not meet their company imagine while representing or performing company business there is not much you can do.

As far as restricting your personal vehicle they do not have to let you on their property if they do not like the said vehicle choice. There have been some lawsuits and court cases especially in the auto industry of employees being restricted to being only allowed to park company produced or non-foreign vehicles on their property. Depending on the state some of these cases have held up in court that the company has the right to do so.

10. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea, Carl. If that other race org. didn't require us to be members to race with them, I for damn sure wouldn't belong.

Turns out one of our customers had an employee rent a motorcycle while on a trip, and I'm guessing it turned out poorly. So I get caught in the backlash.

I don't travel for business that much in my own vehicle. I can only think of one trip this summer on the bike for business. One more reason to fight off travel.

11. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I've interviewed with HD a couple of times, never got the gig.

Nowadays I don't want to move anywhere that cold, so the test facilities still look attractive.....:up:

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

My company doesn't restrict it since there aren't many of us that ride.

As for the mileage thing, keep in mind that the federal mileage rates for POV motorcycles is much less than the mileage for cars.

If we had a lot of employees wanting to use motorcycles for company business we would probably start prohibiting them. They are a larger risk and therefore not good for business and it is a business so it doesn't fall into that "taking away your rights" thing.

EDIT: The current rates as of August 1st are the same for cars and motorcycles. That is interesting. When I rode the CBR back from Boston in 06 the rate for motorcycles was about $0.10 per mile less.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  13. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I can understand why they're doing it. While you're travelling on company business their insurance is on the hook. Motorcycles are more risky than cars hence the prohibition. I like motorcycles as much as anyone else but frm a business standpoint, probably a good move.

14. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

One of our employees at one of our LA plants stopped by to pick something up for the company on his way to work (on his bike). He got in a accident and was hurt. It was a Lost-Time Accident. LTAs are a huge deal in my company. I never heard anything about my company restricting bike usage after that.

15. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I'd quit

of course thats easy to say

I'd quit.

16. Transelement

Transelement pro set miner

:crackhead:

dare I ask for a source of this 'right'?

17. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

If your company owned the motorcycle I can see them limiting the use of them but do you think that it is the potential loss of an employee or the potential of damage to others property. I ride about 3-400miles/wk for my office.

Myles

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If you are traveling on official company business, your company could be held liable for any accident in which you are involved, regardless of whether you were using a personal vehicle to travel. If they reduce perceived risk by restricting your choice of vehicle, then they reduce their insurance premiums and their exposure to legal liability.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was told by my company I couldnt use my motorcycles for site visits or travel anymore.
    Sucks cause sometimes theres a project up in the TN mountains that needs a site visit...lol.
    I was also told I cant let the gas get below 1/2 a tank in my truck. Apparently I left the truck empty and someone used it on the weekends that didnt have a company credit card...lol.
    They ended paying to tow it to the Ford dealer, paying for 2hrs to diagnose, and a couple of wasted man hours picking the truck back up.
    My boss wasnt sure what to make of my reaction when I asked "Did the driver even look at the gas guage before he took off?"

20. Back in the day, Digital Equipment Corporation had a company car plan for the employees who needed to drive a lot ("Which color Ford Taurus would you like - Puke Green, or Turd Brown?"). It was possible to opt out of the plan if you wanted to drive your own car; however, Digital said that you would not receive any reimbursement at all if your vehicle was not a four-door sedan or a four-door pavement-only SUV/mini-van suitable for transporting customers. Riding a motorcycle on company business was (according to the employee handbook) grounds for termination.