1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Compound names for slicks

Discussion in 'General' started by FrancisA, Jun 30, 2020.

1. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Hello all, sorry if this has been discussed before. I’m sure it has but I can’t seem to locate a good resource for how Dunlop names their tires, see below:

120/70:

180/60:

what do those numbers mean? Could someone please let me know where this info is or how to decipher it..

Thanks

2. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

3. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

4. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I was looking at that chart earlier but how do you tell which compound it is,? For example super soft, soft, medium, hard. is it according the the green grip ratings and where it is within that range?

5. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I think max grip is super soft max life is hard, adjust for in between.

don’t know why Dunlop can’t just name them actual names but thats too easy I guess...

6. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Super Soft 0197
    Extra Soft 0129
    Soft 0097
    Medium 0455
    Hard 0585

Being a Pirelli rider, Dunlop's compound system gives me stomach ulcers but after many trips to the Dunlop tent last weekend they are engraved in my brain

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Tas, jd41, 23103a and 2 others like this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Dunlop makes new compounds somewhat often, so the numbers are a great way to tell if someone is selling you a new compound or an old one. For ex, 7455 is the old Med rear, 0455 is the latest.

Also, the names are damn confusing sometimes. There are too many compounds that are currently softer than Soft, see below. For me, the numbers are less confusing.
    0516 - SuperSoft front
    0197 - SuperSoft rear
    0129 - ExtraSoft front & rear
    0097 - Soft rear
    2662 - Soft front (& old rear)

I also wouldn't be surprised if the numbers mean even more to Dunlop internally. But thats just a guess.

Tas, jd41, FrancisA and 1 other person like this.
  8. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

thanks for the info. Compound selection should be based on ambient temperatures correct? With Dunlop it’s soft-er for hot temperatures and hard-er for cooler temperatures.

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Some of the compounds are front only or rear only, like the 097 soft is only on the rears. The equivalent would be the 2662 front. I think they still make the 7455 medium front, too.

I really liked the 2662, for several years that was the softest option and I was very comfortable on it. The 0129 is even better and they last a loooong time. It really depends what kind of riding / racing you are doing, but I've used the 0585 hard rear many times and it has a lot of grip and lasts forever.

It takes ALOT of talent to get the additional available grip out of an 0129 vs a 2662 front.

10. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

thanks for the info Gino. Is your compound selection based on ambient temperatures?

11. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Yes, but track surface is probably a better judge of which compound to use. The 0129 is kind of the "go to" compound for any track and condition (for the most part). Some tracks with super abrasive surfaces, like Pitt, require a harder compound (0097 or 7455). Best thing to do is talk with your local Dunlop trackside support guy and se what they recommend for the track you're going to.

stangmx13 likes this.
  12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I do take that into account, but for example, at Road America 1 the temps were much cooler and many guys still used the softest option with no issues. Also, keep in mind there is a wide range of pressures riders will run, some run as low as 16 in the rear all the way to 24- and in the front some run as low as 29 while others run as high as 37. This will have a big effect on tire wear.

Honestly, the rear is more susceptible to wear than the front, these fronts really last forever and give good grip for days.

For the rears, if you're worried that the compound is too soft for cooler temps, you can always use the softer compound and decrease the pressure a little. This will help it run a little hotter.

Really the track surface has alot more to do with it than the temperature, at least in the "normal" range of temps we race in. That's one of the reasons I like the 2662 front, it's good almost everywhere, up to and including the new surface at Barber.

13. stangmx13

Softer when hotter works - but you'll find plenty of riders that get away with not following it. A faster rider will have the skill and speed to generate the heat to use softer compounds in more conditions. A slower rider will be at the mercy of ambient conditions and will probably be forced to use harder compounds more often. Plus faster riders generally have their setup better optimized for conditions and the track - including tire pressures - and are probably good with replacing tires more often. Any time you are at the track - races or trackdays - the tire provider probably takes all this into account when recommending tires.

Gino230 likes this.
  14. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i'm a pirelli user but i feel like dunlop will sell fewer tires if they would relabel them and don't use 'soft" in 80% of the compound availability lol

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I agree but the sad part is if they label them hard or even medium the dummies out there won't buy them.

16. stangmx13

if Dunlop followed Pirelli's SC# labelling system, we'd be at SC -2 or SC -3 by now :crackup:

Gino230 and Suzuka_joe like this.
  17. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i haven't used an Sc1 tire in over 2 years lol, TD's and Sc2's are all i've had. I'm sure a dunlop hard is still way softer than a Q3+ but the dummies would stay away from it because it doesn't say soft like you said

18. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Should heavier riders run lower pressures on these Dunlops?

19. stangmx13

over the years ive found that this works best. above a certain pace, u should run whatever pressure gets you to the target hot-off-the-track pressure. below that, you should run Dunlop's recommended cold/warmer pressure. but even that is only a good starting point.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We figure out what compounds each of our customers like, and tell them the compound numbers that they should remember. We also get a lot of "I'll take the same thing" and we'll look for the numbers on the tires.

When we were at the plant, they said they don't like soft/med/hard, because the compounds aren't actually harder or softer. It's a change in the molecular bond that adjusts it's durability, and susceptibility to tearing. When I tell people that, I mostly get a blank stare back. As said before, people won't buy a tire labeled hard, because they think it'll never hold. But a 7455 front is an amazing tire when you're on a 1000 coming into 10a at Road Atl hard on the brakes. A lot of really fast guys run them at crazy high pressures and win races.

Don't get caught up in what name to call the compounds, talk to your dealer and they will help you get the right tires for what you are doing.

tigerblade, E Reed and jd41 like this.