1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Compound names for slicks

Discussion in 'General' started by FrancisA, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yep and that's why peeps are confused. For a tire guy a softer tire for more grip has more resin/glue and when cold it's firm aka hard.
    So everyone should drop the soft or hard stuff and buy the tire for their application (based on their vendor suggestion) and call it by name or designation, i.e. I need a SC1 or a 0111 or whatever.

stickboy274 and Gino230 like this.
  2. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Off topic but I've been meaning to ask you as I've heard conflicting things. Is there a carcass difference between the SC1 and the SC2 for the front? Mainly, will the SC2 offer a firmer carcass and feel or is it the compound only?

I've always run SC2 fronts and been happy but have been thinking about trying the SC1 front for Road America in 2 weeks.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Not trying to hijack the thread, but in the Pirelli tire selection thread in the tech area we discuss that the carcass is the same on the fronts but the stiffer sc2 compound makes it feel firmer than a sc1 or sc3

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I can't believe nobody has asked what bike, what track, and what your pace is?

I think the 2662 is a good all around choice for the front. I'm in Atlanta this weekend, I have one with about 25 laps on it that you can have to try if you want.

For the rear, the 0585 is the hardest option- some people love them- bigger (i.e. not 120 lb like Toni Elias) riders especially who put more force into them. I have only used the 0455 at Barber- so that's not much of a comparison.

I really like the 0097 Soft rear, too. Keep in mind the biggest thing I ride is the R6, most of my laps are on the FZ-07 Twin

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

No, it doesn’t work that way. There is an engineering standard for tires that you follow to build them to handle the load of the intended application. A m/c radial rear will have a 90-degree carcass ply of a rubber coated fabric of some sort and a tread ply of another material or maybe a different type of fabric. And some applications will have a 2 ply carcass or tread design, so maybe 3 or 4 total plies.

So, you won’t delete a layer unless you adjust something else to make sure it will carry the load as designed. Carcass material wise there hasn’t been any big changes and that technology is slower to evolve. The big changes in the last 10 years have been in the rubber compounds and more so how they are mixed. Sounds weird right but we found it makes a big difference in how the tire performs. Along with that you will also notice that how the tread is applied has changed.