1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati V4 sound

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Aug 26, 2017.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

FYI its because when you change the gearing on the bike and have to change the lenght of the chassis, the eccentric chain adjuster messes with the swingarm angle. Its a pain and part of the reason why Honda doesn't use it anymore.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

On a single Duc, ride height is more easily addressed than adjusting chain slack on a double...loosen two nuts, adjust ONE adjuster, tighten two nuts.
    Chain slack? Loosen two bolts, adjust eccentric, tighten two bolts.

What do you have to do to adjust ride height on a double? Fuck me...I have to pull the lower shock mount?
    And a chain adjustment? It's three nuts just to get started.

I've had this "discussion" before. You, nor anyone else, can dissuade me of the merits Ducati's single provides.

Be that as it may, consensus is single-sided swingarms suck. No way that design can handle the torque forces and side loading without twisting.
    Given that, it's kinda ironic that the top three best handling production bikes* ever all have single-sided swingarms and, in the case of a Panigale, put out more torque than any of the competition.
    * 748, MV F4 and 996, respectively.

How misguided I must be to not see what an abomination these swingarms are to the whole package. :D

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

looks like the spy shots are the real deal. (confirmed by a former ducati employee who was in charge of the SL project)

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You and I are about to have a Floridian civil war....

Phl218 likes this.
  5. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Well if those are the real deal looks like I'll be saving a bunch of money not buying that abomination

WANABE RACER likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Same here.

Although I can say some designs grow on me. Especially seeing it personally vs crappy pics .

We will see.

turbulence likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Despite having a "form follows function" kind of mentality, I could not follow the form of the 1st gen. Panigale. It looked great in pics, tho'. (Yeah. In person, that shock bothered me, too.)