1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Desmosedici

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Aug 22, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

That makes entirely too much sense. GTFOH with that.....

2. V4 hands down.

Back when the Desmo was new, there was a test done between it and the R1. Keep in mind, the R1 was a turd back then.

The R1 was faster in every measurable way.

The Desmo was cool in a novelty, limited edition kinda way. It had great parts, and an awesome sound.

But even back then, it was overmatched by the Jap liter bikes. Compared to today’s Liter bikes, it doesn’t hold a candle.

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

:eek:

It isn't even fair to compare them. The current V4 has a displacement advantage. :D

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm glad you said it so I wouldn't have to.

If someone just has to have a GP replica in the garage get the Honda.
    (Edited for Foo)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Gorilla George likes this.
  5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Totally screwed that video up. If it wasn't his wanker accent, it was the stupid music.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My apologies kind sir.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Don't let it happen again.

Don't worry. We still cool.

8. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I rode a Desmo back in the day.
    @rugbymook also rode the same bike at Beaverun.

I wasn’t about to push the limits on the thing so I just cruised so got no real feedback for how well it handled. Mike Milan (RIP) the owner was doing 59’s around old beavrun on it pretty easily.
    Gotta say it’s the closest sounding bike to an actual MotoGP machine I’ve ever been around.
    Definitely a bike at the top of my list to own.

Ride safe,
    AAron

ducnut likes this.
  9. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I recall hearing that the Desmosedicci will not work unless ridden at GP pace, so a R1, BMW etc. will smoke it with real humans riding it :) (at a non alien pace) .. Makes sense since it is a GP replica bike..

10. Yes, it is very stiff and must be pushed hard. But that isn’t what I was referring to.

The Jap bikes are (and even were back then) faster from 0-60, 0-100, 1/4mi, top speed, etc.

IIRC, it “only” made about 165hp-170hp (at the wheel) and didn’t build revs super fast.

It did have excellent braking performance though, so there’s that.

ducnut and Steeltoe like this.
  11. Only if you can get your hands on one of the Jap ECU’s to unlock it. I wouldn’t pay $100k for a bike that made 115hp.

Before doing that, I’d pick up one of the WSBK spec RSV4s direct from Aprilia.

ducnut likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sold for $39K. That's a good price... possibly the paint damage knocked the value down.

13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm really surprised the values have dropped as much as they have.........maybe for the reasons specified above re: actual performance capabilities?

If the sportbike market ever turns truly sour or the migration to electric picks up a lot of speed, I'd be willing to bet something like that would quickly appreciate.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I said GP replica. Of which it is the closest thing you can buy right now and actually perform.

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Or, a Suter MMX500.

Sweatypants, Steeltoe, HPPT and 2 others like this.
  16. Don’t nobody be paying attention to shit you say. :moon:

Wheeliest likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sums up my life :(o_O

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Guy dumped one good at Jennings around 2009 or so and said the genuine Desmo-sedici red paint was $800.00 a pint !!

Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Mine too. Maybe we can start a club, " Suzuki fan boys that nobody listens to ". :D

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Replica is a loose term I guess. The cast FGR fork bottoms that come on it are cheaper than even the off the shelf billet ones, let alone some magnesium ones. Those aren't GP master cylinders. blah blah blah on down the line. 50-60hp down on a GP bike of the time. I guess if the geometry and/or sound/look is all you require, then sure. Its def a neat ass bike. I used to see one around every once in a while driving to my brother's house up near where Cannoli works(ed). I don't look at it in the same light as owning an actual GP or Moto2 bike. Its the geometry, the motor, all the little trick one-off billet and titanium and magnesium and carbon doo-dads, the adjustability, the data collection and gizmos. Mehhh... money better spent buying a 3 year old Kalex... or a 10 year old RSA250 (partially at least).

Gorilla George likes this.