1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving with headlights off, does it use more gas to run headlights

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Dec 1, 2016.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Dash lights are so bright nowadays that I dim them at night so I can see the dam road.

BigBird likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's far better on your eyes to dim those dash lights, mine have been turned down for years. I found I didn't tire as easily at night on long road trips too.

BigBird likes this.
  3. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

You guys are living in the past. Within the next few years all cars will have TFT dash displays and auto lighting not manually adjustable simply because the Feds will mandate it for safety. Buy em up now gents!!!

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There will always be an off switch for the headlights or the new cars will not be welcome at military installations. Either that or the military installations will have to install enough light at the entrance to shut the damn automatic headlights off.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

for a short time here in NYC, a flash of the highbeam to a car without was a signal for gang initiation. The would-be gang members would drive without their headlight on purpose and then if you high beamed them, they would follow you and try to beat you up and rob you, and/or carjack you to get into a gang. I thought it was all BS till it happened to us when he was driving, and after that, I've been trigger shy and say Darwinism will work.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You are making me rethink whether I ever want to visit NYC (never been).

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I always thought that it was an urban legend. And it wasn't specific to New York City, as far as I remember.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It was an UL.

Idiots drive w/o headlights because they're self centered morons. They can see, that's all that counts.

Usually the grayer/darker the car, the more this is prevalent...

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Maybe the guys alternator had gone bad and he was driving on reserve capacity on the battery. So lights off was just a "get as far as possible before it dies" type of act. Outside the box thinking people!

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is fine to visit NYC. Just don't drive in the city. Take public transportation, Uber, Lyft, whatever.

BigBird likes this.
  11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

BTDT.

Usually trying to reach the track....

t500racer likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I like the idiots with no lights on early morning IN THE FOG ! I have to cross a busy highway to get to my shop and the road I walk the dog up. I have to really listen to make sure there's nothing coming if it's foggy because without fail I'll see a couple go by with no lights. WTF is wrong with these idiots ?

12v_dub and panthercity like this.
  13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

14. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I agree! Proper DFMEA would highlight this to the engineers as a design issue.

I manually turn on my truck lights every time I'm in it. My wife, driver of a dark minivan, likes to use auto so she doesn't have to remember. Drives me crazy cause you cannot see her most of the time...

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

We love tourists, and they usually have a great time here.

If you want to live here, then that's a different story. It's about compromise at that point.

I really had thought so, but didn't seem like an UL when they made a big u-turn, and then being followed and tailgated us through many local streets by 5 dudes in a van, and definitely not the cops. We lost them when they almost hit a car when they ran a stop sign, which incidentally we had just ran to try to lose them.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It was "the word" even way back in the late 80s / early 90s in the San Jose area. Debunked when nobody got shot for months, then it was just a joke you passed on to High School kids.

17. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Also if their headlights are not on, their tail lights are not on either.

panthercity likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the part the bugs me more than DRL's only up front.

panthercity likes this.
  19. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Totally agree

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Huh? o_O