1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving with headlights off, does it use more gas to run headlights

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Dec 1, 2016.

1. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Lately around here it seems people like to drive in what I consider dark. Do they save gas by not using the headlights?

I run mine day or night.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

yes. basically yes, but only marginally.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I like to drive around with my high beams on, the stereo going, the AC cranked to 11 and the windows down. F@ck the gas mileage, gas is cheaper than fountain soda at a 7/11 and I want to make sure we use it ALL up before I die so our kids have none!

GSmann, RM Racing and zippytech like this.
  4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It's essentially the same principle as running your gas powered generator at the track. If you have your tire warmers plugged in it won't run as long on a gallon of gas as if you are just running a fan. Not quite the same though, because automotive headlights only pull about 55 watts per bulb where tire warmers pull about 500-600 watts. The amount of gasoline saved by not burning the headlights is so minimal by comparison to everything else the engine is doing that it would be very fractional.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

The difference is negligible. It's a ridiculous point to even bring up.

Also you're turning the alternator either way so I don't know how that is saving any energy.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Come on, man, next you'll tell me that changing out the summer air in my tires for winter air is ridiculous. :D

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sean Jordan likes this.
  8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Those people are just retarded. They probably have difficulty breathing without concentrating. You expect them to actually think about the concepts of gas savings?

Where I live it's either daytime lights in the dark or high beams all the time.

I do appreciate them showing me their intelligence level without actually having to interact with them.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One thing I see a lot is bad car design. A lot of them have the dash lights on with either no headlights or just the DRL's - which means the drivers don't notice their headlights aren't on if they're in a city where there is a decent amount of ambient light.

10. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I notice this too. The interior lights are super bright and so they think their outside lights are on. Remember when interior lights didn't come on unless you had your headlights on?

GSmann likes this.
  11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yep, and there is an indicator lit up showing something about lights being on whether they're DRLs or regular lights. I have disliked that about my last 3 cars. I suppose I could just run them in automatic all the time, but I'm not much of a fan of automatic errathang in cars.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like auto for lights personally. I've rented ones with the bright dash lights all day and the indicator when the headlights are on which is totally useless - and some have had manual lights which is even worse. Granted I'm the type to double check my headlights once it's full dusk but it's still annoying.

panthercity likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Both my cars have the option to set your head lights on automatic. DRLs and then when it gets darker, the "regular" lights come on.

Both cars have this turned on. I normally hate all that stupid nanny settings but this one is worth it's weight in 80/20 fresh ground hamburger.

panthercity likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I truly wish the Dodge and the Jeep had auto headlights.

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

OK, but what about the four or five flashes of hi-beam I give them while approaching that they still seem to miss? :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would you be signaling them that they have their high beams on or there is a cop ahead of them? :crackup:

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Leave them alone and let them be stupid. No headlights on? I'll let the cops handle it or better yet, the asian ladies in their Lexus suvs.

Steak Travis likes this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Maybe you learned your driving cues differently.

19. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I figured that it used a little more gas, I just cannot understand why anyone would want to drive down the rode without headlights on at 7:30 am, when its still about half dark out.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evidently. Turning my headlights off and then back on at a relative slow cadence is what I've always used for "your headlights aren't on". Same or highbeams quickly is a cop is ahead of you (depending on daylight or night), and highs on until they dim theirs is "your highbeams are on" (although haven't done that in a long time since it's hard to tell with HID's, LED's, and people with crappy headlight aiming).

OldSchlPunk likes this.