1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dogs, man.

Discussion in 'General' started by sowega, Jul 17, 2017.

1. sowega

sowega #710

This dude has had a year. Two cancerous tumors removed in February, and then a precautionary growth removal last month (stitches came out on Friday; turned out to be benign). We got invited to a shitheel's birthday at the lake, and it's probably the first time that he's been really well and feeling okay enough to really play this year.

So this dude spends all of Saturday in the lake or otherwise soaking wet. He'll be 11 this year, which is pretty advanced age for a half shepherd/half direwolf/all asshole hybrid, but he was all over the place; I bet he ran two miles up and down the dock because he was worried about his aunt Dickiedoo on the jetski. Hell, he even jumped/fell off the dock and swam probably 40 yards until he got to shore, which he hasn't done in years. He had some birthday steak, a few sips of beer, and a bunch of women petting him. We went on a boat ride, then he waded back in the lake when we got back. My man had a day, and it was awesome.

So, back in Atlanta on Sunday morning, I leash him up to go for a walk. He's prancing around like Metalhead with a new Warrant CD, then we head out. Ol' tons of fun here takes two steps out of the garage, feels the rain, then turns back inside and won't leave the house.

He has no problem playing in the lake or being in the bathtub, but can't be bothered to go outside when it's raining.

Dogs, man.

Attached Files:

JBall, BHP41, Phl218 and 9 others like this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I know your pain....

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Swimming is fun, rain isn't. My Lab is smart enough to come in from, or avoid standing out in the rain. Better than me sometimes....

4. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Yup, loves to stick their heads out the travelling car window, but hate when you blow air in their face.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My yellow Lab loves to swim but avoids puddles, doesn't like to get his feet wet. :rolleyes:

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Won't touch dog food slathered in gravy if she senses a "pill" in it.

Will eat cat shit like it's filet mignon.

[​IMG]

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Enjoy the old boy. He's old enough to be fussy if he wants.
    Now go get him some hamburgers. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Us Humans are the same way, I'll go swimming, but I'm not gonna go hang out in the rain.

BigBird likes this.
  9. sowega

sowega #710

Every second of every day I get to spend with his grumpy ass.

terminus est likes this.
  10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

With two kids under 4, there have been several times in the last year that I have wanted to let our dogs out, and not let them back in.

...and then they go and have a full 3-day weekend where they're perfect gentlemen to our house guests (including a newborn, and his 3 and 5 yr old brothers), and they tolerate 5 more kids (plus their parents) who my wife invited over for a cookout. The dogs didn't take food from any kids, they didn't jump up on anyone, they didn't bark or scare anyone (except the one brat who kept splashing our rottweiler mutt). They even listened to me instead of embarrassing me in front of said guests. Mine are both about 9 now. I know I'll miss them when they're gone.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sounds like you need to train your people better. :D

pscook likes this.
  12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

My lab is the same way. He will swim for an entire day but hold a piss for 24 hrs if its raining.

13. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I just put my shepherd/wolf mix down about 18 months ago at 11yo. Dog cost me so much money for 2 ACL surgeries among many others, but he had suffered a stroke and had an inoperable growth on his adrenal gland. Good news for me was that I didnt have to watch him deteriorate and he played like a puppy until the stroke.

Still can't get anpther dog though because I want the exact same mix again. Smart as hell and loyal beyond words.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good for you man. My buddy made 13 1/2, and the last few went by too fast.

I've been getting my dog fix by walking dogs from the Humane Society. "Rental puppies" I call them. Had this girl for the day on Saturday and she nearly stole my heart. Tons of personality and such a sweetheart. I wished I didn't have to give her back.

She's on her second stay at the shelter after being surrendered again. I couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want her, so I looked at her file. Her first family said they didn't have time for her, and the second said she had "too much energy", also known as "owner is too fucking lazy".

Attached Files:

15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

we fostered rescue dogs for a few years (before we had kids). Had over 25 come and go, and 2 stay...

Some were harder to let go than others. Most made us appreciate how well "trained" our own dogs are. Just little stuff like knowing that they're not allowed on couches unless invited, or being on a reasonable schedule when we want to go to sleep.

16. sowega

sowega #710

Yeah, I do photoshoots for rescue/foster dogs, and every one of them makes me come home and hug Goose until we're both uncomfortable.

JBraun likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

lost my mutt-hound dog last year. The sweetest, easy going dog I've ever known.....except holy hell terror to ground hogs. Deer, rabbits, turkeys, no problem. She's sit on the front porch and just watch them walk by in the lower field. Let a grund-sow pop up and she's bolt out and try to tree that sucker. Want another dog but know I'll end up disappointed.....sucks.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I don't understand.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I know. I'm trying to figure out why he hasn't filled out the paper work already.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Me too. They won't keep a "two strikes" dog around for long :(