1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Documentary recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Mar 31, 2020.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Connections is great. It's hard to find them all though but fascinating approach to things. Used to watch it years ago. Just started watching it again recently.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Where is "Connections" hiding these days in the interwebs? Loved that series (and to a lesser degree the sequel Connections II). So much so, that I went to see him speak in a small setting at a local university. Got an autographed copy of his book as well!

He was a BBC science corespondent during the Apollo moon program. If you watch old BBC moon coverage, you'll see him (and occasional "color commentator" Arthur C. Clarke!).

3. joec

joec brace yourself

YouTube

4. joec

joec brace yourself

Since the tiger King thread had come up and it reminded me that I knew one or two of these guys,

Skatopia
    99 acres of anarchy.

It's the skateboarding version of tiger King. In a documentary film. It's amazing.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

And I'm going to toss heavy metal parking lot in just to fulfill the white trash quota. Baltimore dc area early 80s documentary shot completely in the parking lot of the cap center during the tailgate for Judas priest concert. All the feathered hair, cutoffs and mid Atlantic white trash accents you can take.

stk0308 likes this.
  6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Undaunted on RedBull TV

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Well, hell, if we're going there. Gotta recommend "The Decline of Western Civilization", one and two. :D

8. pkaustin

pkaustin Well-Known Member

Wild Wild Country is a good docuseries about the Rajneesshee cult that moved into Central Oregon in the 80s.

Extra interesting since I'm from the NW. Really good riding out in that area.

joec likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Very good doc on ZZ Top. I’m not particularly a huge fan but it was very good.

Smilodon likes this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

" That little ol band from Texas " on netflix, story of ZZ Top. Wife and I both liked it, watched it Sat. night.

RRP, R Acree, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Search Adam Carolla on Netflix for lots of good movies. He is an executive producer on lots of great racing (car) movies (most mentioned earlier):
    24 Hour War (doc about Ford V Ferrari)
    Shelby American (doc that dovetails with 24 Hour War)
    Uppity: Willy T Ribbs

Also "Drive to Survive" about mid-pack Formula 1 teams
    Unchained about freestyle motocross

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Best old west documentary - Blazin Saddles
    Small business in America - Tommy Boy
    WWII - 1941

anyone else wanna add to the list?

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The DocuSeries "The Men Who Built America" was well worth the time.

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

"The Story of Anvil" is an absolutely incredible rockumentary about a metal band that almost made it big time like Metallica and Megadeth.
    "Last Days Here" is the story of a totally washed out rock musician (the signer of metal band Pentagram) pulling himself together with the help of some fans and reforming his band. Very touching and beautiful.

15. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Its a few yrs old, but if you're a music lover you have to see "Muscle Shoals".

RRP, stk0308 and Britt like this.
  16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You'll soon be able to watch the one currently being filmed titled "The idiots that destroyed America."

MachineR1 and Britt like this.
  17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Coming out in early November?....

18. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

19. joec

joec brace yourself

New York I think on prime.. New York through the beginning of the 20th century is pretty amazing. Wish they had covered more art but the beginnings of New York is pretty incredible. Especially through the revolution.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I saw "Superman" the other day. It's an incredible documentary about a man that can fly and is super strong and shit.

joec likes this.